User with desktop admin rights but not server admin rights

a b 8 Security
August 25, 2005 5:47:01 PM

I would like to create a security group, that I can include users into, so
that these users can be on any workstation on the domain and install
software, but they cannot add users, or add computers to the domain without
an Administrators intervention. So I have four contractors coming in, they
will be touching each desktop and laptop on the domain to run updates and
remove and install software, but I don't want them to have access to the
servers, so no domain admin rights. How can I do this?

Thanks ahead of time.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 26, 2005 12:26:46 PM

They need to be members of a security group that is a member of the local
administraors group on each PC.

Run this on each machine "net localgroup Administrators
your_domain\Groupname /add"
or use
Use Restricted Groups in a GPO
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Using-Restricted...

--
Regards
Mark Dormer

"Brent Johnson" <BrentJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to create a security group, that I can include users into, so
> that these users can be on any workstation on the domain and install
> software, but they cannot add users, or add computers to the domain
> without
> an Administrators intervention. So I have four contractors coming in, they
> will be touching each desktop and laptop on the domain to run updates and
> remove and install software, but I don't want them to have access to the
> servers, so no domain admin rights. How can I do this?
>
> Thanks ahead of time.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 26, 2005 12:47:12 PM

I struggled with the group policy, but adding the net command to the logon
script worked perfectly. Thank you so much.

!