scart in and out or only out ?

Hello,

Is the scart of an ATI 800 AIW always out and in or
only output ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Jeroen

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:12:11 +0200, "rvn" <rvnuman@tiscali.nl> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Is the scart of an ATI 800 AIW always out and in or
>only output ?
>
>Thank you very much for your help !
>
>Jeroen

The SCART??? No room for one of those on a videocard! ;-)

If you're referring to the video input/output, these are most commonly
an s-video type socket for video in and out on AIWs. However, these
are often not wired as standard for s-video and will need an adapter
(usually supplied with the card) for use.

Might help if you were clearer about what card you have - at a guess,
you're referring to an X800 or a 9800, but it could also be something
like an 8500...

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

Hello Patrick !,

Yes, it has really a SCART-connection and its a
ATI X800-XT Wonder-card.

Thank you for your attentiveness !

Bye, Jeroen

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:43:40 +0200, "rvn" <rvnuman@tiscali.nl> wrote:

>Hello Patrick !,
>
>Yes, it has really a SCART-connection and its a
>ATI X800-XT Wonder-card.
>
>Thank you for your attentiveness !
>
>Bye, Jeroen

Jeroen, I think you might be mistaken about what a SCART socket (or
plug) actually is. It's a large 20 pin (+ screen making an extra
connector) socket, rectangular in shape, used for interconnecting
video devices like TVs and VCRs. I just measured one and it's 16.5 mm
wide - much too wide to fit through a card slot in the back of a
computer.

Neither does the illustration of an AIW X800 XT on the ATI site have
anything like that on it.

At a guess, you're either mistaken about the name, and are thinking
that something like an s-video connector is called a SCART connector,
or you're mistaking a DVI socket (more or less rectangular in shape,
like a SCART socket, but not nearly as big), meant for monitor output,
for a SCART socket.

>"patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> schreef in bericht
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:12:11 +0200, "rvn" <rvnuman@tiscali.nl> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Is the scart of an ATI 800 AIW always out and in or
>>>only output ?
>>>
>>>Thank you very much for your help !
>>>
>>>Jeroen
>>>

>> The SCART??? No room for one of those on a videocard! ;-)
>>
>> If you're referring to the video input/output, these are most commonly
>> an s-video type socket for video in and out on AIWs. However, these
>> are often not wired as standard for s-video and will need an adapter
>> (usually supplied with the card) for use.
>>
>> Might help if you were clearer about what card you have - at a guess,
>> you're referring to an X800 or a 9800, but it could also be something
>> like an 8500...
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

Hello Patrick,

No really it has a SCART, and all European Wonders
have that connection, only its not on the card but part of
the special connection, its on a cable.

Good-Bye !, Jeroen

this the site you can get the pdf

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:31:10 +0200, "rvn" <rvnuman@tiscali.nl> wrote:

>Hello Patrick,
>
>No really it has a SCART, and all European Wonders
>have that connection, only its not on the card but part of
>the special connection, its on a cable.
>
>Good-Bye !, Jeroen
>
>this the site you can get the pdf

Ah! I see - from your description ("the scart of an ATI 800 AIW") I
thought you were referring to a connector on the card itself.
Actually, most of the cards I've had have been VIVOs, but I've had a
couple of AIWs (using one now), both PAL ones (i.e. European - I'm in
the UK), and neither came with a connector with a SCART connector -
rather the connectors have either just composite and audio connectors
(RCA/phono type), or composite, audio and s-video connectors.

The very fact that your card manufacturer is using a SCART socket
would suggest to me that it's meant for input _and_ output; it would
be a bit silly to use such a large and (comparatively) expensive
connector if it was not meant so.

I would presume your X800-XT (should be a nice card!) is an OEM card;
ATI themselves don't make AIWs for the non-American market any more.
The AIW I'm using now is a 'Built by ATI' 9700 Pro; I would guess that
was the last model AIW that ATI made for European use.

And OEMs, of course, make their own decisions about what connectors to
use: I think you might find that some makers are using your SCART
connector; others are using different ones.

By the way, a little OT, how do you get on with Tiscali? A friend of
mine is thinking of signing up with them; I would think tiscali.nl are
probably completely separate to tiscali.co.uk, but it could still be
useful to know your thoughts.

Patrick

>"patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> schreef in bericht
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:43:40 +0200, "rvn" <rvnuman@tiscali.nl> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello Patrick !,
>>>
>>>Yes, it has really a SCART-connection and its a
>>>ATI X800-XT Wonder-card.
>>>
>>>Thank you for your attentiveness !
>>>
>>>Bye, Jeroen
>>>
>> Jeroen, I think you might be mistaken about what a SCART socket (or
>> plug) actually is. It's a large 20 pin (+ screen making an extra
>> connector) socket, rectangular in shape, used for interconnecting
>> video devices like TVs and VCRs. I just measured one and it's 16.5 mm
>> wide - much too wide to fit through a card slot in the back of a
>> computer.
>>
>> Neither does the illustration of an AIW X800 XT on the ATI site have
>> anything like that on it.
>>
>> At a guess, you're either mistaken about the name, and are thinking
>> that something like an s-video connector is called a SCART connector,
>> or you're mistaking a DVI socket (more or less rectangular in shape,
>> like a SCART socket, but not nearly as big), meant for monitor output,
>> for a SCART socket.
>>>
>>>"patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> schreef in bericht

>> Patrick
>>
>> <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

Hello Patrick,

First thank you for you help ! ( The SCART was i/o).

I think that You can not compare Tiscali NL with
Tiscali -UK, because NL has is own 3 different networks in
NL ( main is called: BABY-XL (partly fiber)).

But in Holland we have all kind of fiber and other fast
connections, for example "ONSNETWERK" ( around
5 M/Bytes) and ADSL2+ from "Versatel" ( 24 M/bits
for 30 Euro's (with 8 live soccer channels with camera
choice )).

So, really, I can't advise you about that subject, sorry !
We have a fast connection but the speed depends on the
other side mostly (pace of a snail)

That's all Patrick :) , CU !