How good are file shredders?

August 26, 2005 9:35:07 AM

Hi

I've reformatted my hard drive and resinstalled windows xp in order to sell
my laptop. But I've been told that the data can still be retrieved with
software you can download from the Internet. I have also been advised that
file shredders can prevent this retrieval. Does anyone have any thoughts on
this? And can I use a file shredder AFTER I've reformatted my drive?
--

Many thanks
JD

More about : good file shredders

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:00:34 PM

Once you reformat your drive, the files are wiped clean.
You do not need to use any type of "shredder". Only a
very sophisticated, and expensive, program can be use
to make an attempt to recover files, but it is very unlikely
if the drive was reformatted.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jackie D" wrote:

| Hi
|
| I've reformatted my hard drive and resinstalled windows xp in order to sell
| my laptop. But I've been told that the data can still be retrieved with
| software you can download from the Internet. I have also been advised that
| file shredders can prevent this retrieval. Does anyone have any thoughts on
| this? And can I use a file shredder AFTER I've reformatted my drive?
| --
| Many thanks
| JD
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:00:35 PM

thanks, carey. I'll trust the reformat and sell it!

Many thanks
JD

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Once you reformat your drive, the files are wiped clean.
> You do not need to use any type of "shredder". Only a
> very sophisticated, and expensive, program can be use
> to make an attempt to recover files, but it is very unlikely
> if the drive was reformatted.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Jackie D" wrote:
>
> | Hi
> |
> | I've reformatted my hard drive and resinstalled windows xp in order to sell
> | my laptop. But I've been told that the data can still be retrieved with
> | software you can download from the Internet. I have also been advised that
> | file shredders can prevent this retrieval. Does anyone have any thoughts on
> | this? And can I use a file shredder AFTER I've reformatted my drive?
> | --
> | Many thanks
> | JD

August 26, 2005 1:00:35 PM

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Once you reformat your drive, the files are wiped clean.
> You do not need to use any type of "shredder". Only a
> very sophisticated, and expensive, program can be use
> to make an attempt to recover files, but it is very unlikely
> if the drive was reformatted.
>
> <snip>

Does reformatting do a single write-over of ones or zeros,
or is anything more complex done?

If it's just a single write-over, it seems that a fairly
adept person could easily recover written-over files.

No?

Notan
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:00:36 PM

Notan

Now I don't know what to do! Is there free software I could use to do
another 'wipe over' even after I've reformatted my drive and reinstalled
Windows XP?

It's all so conflicting...
--

Many thanks
JD

"Notan" wrote:

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > Once you reformat your drive, the files are wiped clean.
> > You do not need to use any type of "shredder". Only a
> > very sophisticated, and expensive, program can be use
> > to make an attempt to recover files, but it is very unlikely
> > if the drive was reformatted.
> >
> > <snip>
>
> Does reformatting do a single write-over of ones or zeros,
> or is anything more complex done?
>
> If it's just a single write-over, it seems that a fairly
> adept person could easily recover written-over files.
>
> No?
>
> Notan

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:42:00 PM

No, you have nothing to worry about. If you are somewhat paranoid,
then download and use the free thirty day trial version of DriveScrubber,
then reinstall Windows XP.
http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jackie D" wrote:

| Notan
|
| Now I don't know what to do! Is there free software I could use to do
| another 'wipe over' even after I've reformatted my drive and reinstalled
| Windows XP?
|
| It's all so conflicting...
| --
|

| Many thanks
| JD
|

| "Notan" wrote:
|
| > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
| > >
| > > Once you reformat your drive, the files are wiped clean.
| > > You do not need to use any type of "shredder". Only a
| > > very sophisticated, and expensive, program can be use
| > > to make an attempt to recover files, but it is very unlikely
| > > if the drive was reformatted.
| > >
| > > <snip>
| >
| > Does reformatting do a single write-over of ones or zeros,
| > or is anything more complex done?
| >
| > If it's just a single write-over, it seems that a fairly
| > adept person could easily recover written-over files.
| >
| > No?
| >
| > Notan

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:42:01 PM

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> No, you have nothing to worry about. If you are somewhat paranoid,
> then download and use the free thirty day trial version of DriveScrubber,
> then reinstall Windows XP.
> http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm
>
> <snip>

A free program can be found at http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/.

But, as you said, if a format will suffice, it's just icing on the cake!

Notan
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:42:01 PM

Hi

I'd never thought of myself as paranoid before! I was quite happy to
reformat the drive and sell the laptop. It's certain friends who are
scare-mongering! Thanks for your reassurance.
--

Many thanks
JD

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> No, you have nothing to worry about. If you are somewhat paranoid,
> then download and use the free thirty day trial version of DriveScrubber,
> then reinstall Windows XP.
> http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Jackie D" wrote:
>
> | Notan
> |
> | Now I don't know what to do! Is there free software I could use to do
> | another 'wipe over' even after I've reformatted my drive and reinstalled
> | Windows XP?
> |
> | It's all so conflicting...
> | --
> |

> | Many thanks
> | JD

> | > Does reformatting do a single write-over of ones or zeros,
> | > or is anything more complex done?
> | >
> | > If it's just a single write-over, it seems that a fairly
> | > adept person could easily recover written-over files.
> | >
> | > No?
> | >
> | > Notan

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:42:02 PM

Jackie D wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'd never thought of myself as paranoid before! I was quite happy to
> reformat the drive and sell the laptop. It's certain friends who are
> scare-mongering! Thanks for your reassurance.
>
> <snip>

Sometimes it's just paranoia, other times people really
*are* watching you! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:54:41 PM

"Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I've reformatted my hard drive and resinstalled windows xp in order to
> sell
> my laptop. But I've been told that the data can still be retrieved with
> software you can download from the Internet. I have also been advised that
> file shredders can prevent this retrieval. Does anyone have any thoughts
> on
> this? And can I use a file shredder AFTER I've reformatted my drive?

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php

E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.
August 27, 2005 1:19:37 PM

Jackie D wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've reformatted my hard drive and resinstalled windows xp in order to sell
> my laptop. But I've been told that the data can still be retrieved with
> software you can download from the Internet. I have also been advised that
> file shredders can prevent this retrieval. Does anyone have any thoughts on
> this? And can I use a file shredder AFTER I've reformatted my drive?

To protect your personal information and data from any future users
of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive
and reinstall only the OS and those applications whose licenses are to
be included in the transfer. If you wish to do a more thorough job of
protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
(http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?Produc...) meets
U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
applications.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: