How good are file shredders?

Hi

I've reformatted my hard drive and resinstalled windows xp in order to sell
my laptop. But I've been told that the data can still be retrieved with
software you can download from the Internet. I have also been advised that
file shredders can prevent this retrieval. Does anyone have any thoughts on
this? And can I use a file shredder AFTER I've reformatted my drive?
--

Many thanks
JD

    Once you reformat your drive, the files are wiped clean.
    You do not need to use any type of "shredder". Only a
    very sophisticated, and expensive, program can be use
    to make an attempt to recover files, but it is very unlikely
    if the drive was reformatted.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Jackie D" wrote:

    | Hi
    |
    | I've reformatted my hard drive and resinstalled windows xp in order to sell
    | my laptop. But I've been told that the data can still be retrieved with
    | software you can download from the Internet. I have also been advised that
    | file shredders can prevent this retrieval. Does anyone have any thoughts on
    | this? And can I use a file shredder AFTER I've reformatted my drive?
    | --
    | Many thanks
    | JD

    thanks, carey. I'll trust the reformat and sell it!

    Many thanks
    JD

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Once you reformat your drive, the files are wiped clean.
    > You do not need to use any type of "shredder". Only a
    > very sophisticated, and expensive, program can be use
    > to make an attempt to recover files, but it is very unlikely
    > if the drive was reformatted.
    >
    > <snip>

    Does reformatting do a single write-over of ones or zeros,
    or is anything more complex done?

    If it's just a single write-over, it seems that a fairly
    adept person could easily recover written-over files.

    No?

    Notan

    Notan

    Now I don't know what to do! Is there free software I could use to do
    another 'wipe over' even after I've reformatted my drive and reinstalled
    Windows XP?

    It's all so conflicting...
    --

    Many thanks
    JD

    "Notan" wrote:

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > Once you reformat your drive, the files are wiped clean.
    > > You do not need to use any type of "shredder". Only a
    > > very sophisticated, and expensive, program can be use
    > > to make an attempt to recover files, but it is very unlikely
    > > if the drive was reformatted.
    > >
    > > <snip>
    >
    > Does reformatting do a single write-over of ones or zeros,
    > or is anything more complex done?
    >
    > If it's just a single write-over, it seems that a fairly
    > adept person could easily recover written-over files.
    >
    > No?
    >
    > Notan

    No, you have nothing to worry about. If you are somewhat paranoid,
    then download and use the free thirty day trial version of DriveScrubber,
    then reinstall Windows XP.
    http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > No, you have nothing to worry about. If you are somewhat paranoid,
    > then download and use the free thirty day trial version of DriveScrubber,
    > then reinstall Windows XP.
    > http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.cfm
    >
    > <snip>

    A free program can be found at http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/.

    But, as you said, if a format will suffice, it's just icing on the cake!

    Notan

    Hi

    I'd never thought of myself as paranoid before! I was quite happy to
    reformat the drive and sell the laptop. It's certain friends who are
    scare-mongering! Thanks for your reassurance.
    --

    Many thanks
    JD

    Jackie D wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I'd never thought of myself as paranoid before! I was quite happy to
    > reformat the drive and sell the laptop. It's certain friends who are
    > scare-mongering! Thanks for your reassurance.
    >
    > <snip>

    Sometimes it's just paranoia, other times people really
    *are* watching you! <g>

    Notan

    "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've reformatted my hard drive and resinstalled windows xp in order to
    > sell
    > my laptop. But I've been told that the data can still be retrieved with
    > software you can download from the Internet. I have also been advised that
    > file shredders can prevent this retrieval. Does anyone have any thoughts
    > on
    > this? And can I use a file shredder AFTER I've reformatted my drive?

    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php

    E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Jackie D wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've reformatted my hard drive and resinstalled windows xp in order to sell
    > my laptop. But I've been told that the data can still be retrieved with
    > software you can download from the Internet. I have also been advised that
    > file shredders can prevent this retrieval. Does anyone have any thoughts on
    > this? And can I use a file shredder AFTER I've reformatted my drive?

    To protect your personal information and data from any future users
    of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive
    and reinstall only the OS and those applications whose licenses are to
    be included in the transfer. If you wish to do a more thorough job of
    protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
    (http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?ProductNum=07) meets
    U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
    drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
    applications.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: