How to run an application in a sandbox

a b 8 Security
August 27, 2005 4:59:21 PM

Is there any way to run a generic application in a
restricted sandbox so that it can't look outside of its
own directory, get lists of running processes, read
the text in the title bar of taskbar items, and otherwise
snoop?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 27, 2005 6:18:09 PM

Do you have a Windows XP security-related question?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"A Man Beaten by Jacks" wrote:

| Is there any way to run a generic application in a
| restricted sandbox so that it can't look outside of its
| own directory, get lists of running processes, read
| the text in the title bar of taskbar items, and otherwise
| snoop?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 27, 2005 11:30:30 PM

"A Man Beaten by Jacks" <nobody@fool.foo> wrote in message
> Is there any way to run a generic application in a
> restricted sandbox so that it can't look outside of its
> own directory, get lists of running processes, read
> the text in the title bar of taskbar items, and otherwise
> snoop?

You may want to look into a product like Microsoft VirtualPC or VMWare

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html

Basically you run a whole virtual computer (including OS) completely inside
its own environment (although it is possible to network with other 'real'
computers if you so desire.)

Otherwise, to answer your question: not that I'm aware of with Windows XP

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP