How to run an application in a sandbox

Is there any way to run a generic application in a
restricted sandbox so that it can't look outside of its
own directory, get lists of running processes, read
the text in the title bar of taskbar items, and otherwise
snoop?
2 answers Last reply
More about application sandbox

    Do you have a Windows XP security-related question?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "A Man Beaten by Jacks" <nobody@fool.foo> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to run a generic application in a
    > restricted sandbox so that it can't look outside of its
    > own directory, get lists of running processes, read
    > the text in the title bar of taskbar items, and otherwise
    > snoop?

    You may want to look into a product like Microsoft VirtualPC or VMWare

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html

    Basically you run a whole virtual computer (including OS) completely inside
    its own environment (although it is possible to network with other 'real'
    computers if you so desire.)

    Otherwise, to answer your question: not that I'm aware of with Windows XP

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

Security Microsoft Windows XP