ATI WDM NSP driver?

Since buying an ATI X800XL and when I install the CAT drivers it
always wants to install the WDM NSP driver, which I allowed. But I
just did a Google search on this driver and according to ATI it is
only supposed to install on AIW and VIVO cards though auto detection
of the card. My card is neither of these so why is it installing to my
PC? I have video out but not video in.

"Praxiteles Democritus" <no@email.here> wrote in message
> Since buying an ATI X800XL and when I install the CAT drivers it
> always wants to install the WDM NSP driver, which I allowed. But I
> just did a Google search on this driver and according to ATI it is
> only supposed to install on AIW and VIVO cards though auto detection
> of the card. My card is neither of these so why is it installing to my
> PC? I have video out but not video in.

The WDM NSP is an audio driver. I assume your ATI card has a S/PDIF digital
audio output.

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:24:27 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
wrote:

>The WDM NSP is an audio driver. I assume your ATI card has a S/PDIF digital
>audio output.

I see SVGA output is all.

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:24:27 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>

> >The WDM NSP is an audio driver. I assume your ATI card has a S/PDIF
digital
> >audio output.
> >

> I see SVGA output is all.

Looks like the installer screwed up.

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:12:35 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Looks like the installer screwed up.

Yea, looks like it. I just uninstalled the drivers and did an Express
install again and it still installs the WDM NSP drivers. I could
choose custom and deselect them. I do have an external TV tuner
(Viewsonic NS) hooked up which uses a video passthrough cable so maybe
that is confusing the drivers. It's purely a hardware device and
requires no drivers though.

Praxiteles Democritus wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:12:35 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >Looks like the installer screwed up.
> >

> Yea, looks like it. I just uninstalled the drivers and did an Express
> install again and it still installs the WDM NSP drivers. I could
> choose custom and deselect them. I do have an external TV tuner
> (Viewsonic NS) hooked up which uses a video passthrough cable so maybe
> that is confusing the drivers. It's purely a hardware device and
> requires no drivers though.

Do you really want to remove audio drivers...

--

--end

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:59:19 GMT, Praxiteles Democritus
<no@email.here> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:12:35 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
>wrote:
>

>>Looks like the installer screwed up.
>>

>Yea, looks like it. I just uninstalled the drivers and did an Express
>install again and it still installs the WDM NSP drivers. I could
>choose custom and deselect them. I do have an external TV tuner
>(Viewsonic NS) hooked up which uses a video passthrough cable so maybe
>that is confusing the drivers. It's purely a hardware device and
>requires no drivers though.

When the WDM drivers are installed, look in Device Manager and see if
there are ATI devices (Rage Theater and Specialized MVD WDM VBI Codec
- maybe others) showing under Sound, video and game controllers. If
there are, and they don't show problems, I would supect that your card
actually _does_ have VIVO capabilities; I understand some X800s do.
Iif it has, for instance, an s-video type connector on it, this may be
meant for video input as well as output.

If not, uninstall everything (remove any ATI devices in Sound, video
and game controllers before uninstalling the display driver) and
install the stand-alone display driver and Control Panel/Center
packages instead - they're the "low speed" ones on the ATI site.

BTW, I always run 'Custom' rather than 'Express' installs - even if
it's just to see what's being installed.

HTH Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:31:51 GMT, patrickp
<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote:

>When the WDM drivers are installed, look in Device Manager and see if
>there are ATI devices (Rage Theater and Specialized MVD WDM VBI Codec
>- maybe others) showing under Sound, video and game controllers. If
>there are, and they don't show problems, I would supect that your card
>actually _does_ have VIVO capabilities; I understand some X800s do.
>Iif it has, for instance, an s-video type connector on it, this may be
>meant for video input as well as output.

Yes, the Rage Theater and MVD Codec is there in device manager. I'll
have to look in my X800XL documentation and see if it is VIVO capable,
didn't think it was though.

>If not, uninstall everything (remove any ATI devices in Sound, video
>and game controllers before uninstalling the display driver) and
>install the stand-alone display driver and Control Panel/Center
>packages instead - they're the "low speed" ones on the ATI site.

Maybe I'll do that.

>BTW, I always run 'Custom' rather than 'Express' installs - even if
>it's just to see what's being installed.

I usually run Custom too and it auto selects the WDM NSP driver so
then I selected Express to still see if it installed that driver.
According to ATI the WDM NSP drivers should only install if the card
is AIW or has VIVO.

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:42:49 GMT, Danny Greaves <dandog@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Do you really want to remove audio drivers...

Leaving them does no harm.

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:31:51 GMT, patrickp
<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote:

> I would supect that your card
>actually _does_ have VIVO capabilities; I understand some X800s do.
>Iif it has, for instance, an s-video type connector on it, this may be
>meant for video input as well as output.

Oops, I just checked my box specs and it says the SVGA connector is
VIVO. That explains it. Sorry for this post and thanks for helping me
clarify why these drivers were installing.

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:55:41 GMT, Praxiteles Democritus
<no@email.here> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:31:51 GMT, patrickp
><patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I would supect that your card
>>actually _does_ have VIVO capabilities; I understand some X800s do.
>>Iif it has, for instance, an s-video type connector on it, this may be
>>meant for video input as well as output.
>
>Oops, I just checked my box specs and it says the SVGA connector is
>VIVO. That explains it. Sorry for this post and thanks for helping me
>clarify why these drivers were installing.

;-) Well, you may find the VIVO capabilities to be very rewarding,
Praxiteles. I've always found ATI's issue of VIVO versions to be
somewhat frustrating - no VIVO models, for instance, from the 9000
cards up until the X700/800 AFAIK - good news that they've started
doing effective cards with VIVO capabilities again - bad news that I
can't afford one ATM!

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:39:25 GMT, patrickp
<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote:

>;-) Well, you may find the VIVO capabilities to be very rewarding,
>Praxiteles. I've always found ATI's issue of VIVO versions to be
>somewhat frustrating - no VIVO models, for instance, from the 9000
>cards up until the X700/800 AFAIK - good news that they've started
>doing effective cards with VIVO capabilities again - bad news that I
>can't afford one ATM!
>
>Patrick

Yea, it's a nice feature but one that I'll probably never make use of.