Could someone help me with a DVD burning issue that MAY be..

First off, let me say, I already have gone on the DVD burning
newsgroups and am exploring here at their recommendations.

Could someone tell me what settings I can try (in control panel)
to help determine if my video card is interfering with burning
DVD's (movies)

I have had almost 100 pct success burning dvd's the past year and
a half, and now all of a sudden I am having an almost 100 pct failure
rate.

I use/and always have, good media (Verbatim 8x) ....

No matter what I burn with, Nero, DVD Shrink, etc. they always report
SUCCESS .... but when played on my stand alone dvd player they are
now always skipping/pausing/jerking, etc. randomly thruout the movie.

This problem started after I installed a program call Video Studio,
and set my resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768 to accomadate it.
It wont run, or even load at 800x6000. (first clue: Resolution change)

I have since reformatted my hd, reinstalled everything but Video Studio,
but kept the higher resolution, and still I am burning coaster after
coaster.
(so Video Studio is off the hook) so now the only difference in my configs
from PERFECT burns to ZERO success, is the resolution difference
..... I took the same file(s) that made 6 coasters today, downstairs to my
wifes
computer and tried burning it on there, and whammo ... a perfect copy. (and
4
more after that) I dont know if it was the different video card, or the fact
that
hers is running 800x600.

This computer (the one with the bad burns) has a Radeon X800 pro, now
running the cats 5.8 ... my wifes machine has a Radeon 9700.

The fact that Video Studio 9 has been ruled out, and the mention of the
Resolution
change, lead the DVD Burning group to suggest it absolutely has to be a
video
driver (or the card itself). But, I dont know cause i am having no video
related
issues or errors.

When I first noticed it, I was using the cat 5.7 I beleive, and after their
suggestion
a check of my event viewer show SEVERAL errors listing ATIMAG as the source,
and "Invalid Parameters" as the Type of error (I guess) ... So I thought I
was onto
something ... shortly thereafter, the cat 5.8's came out, I installed them,
and now
no more errors appeared in the event viewer, yet as mentioned above, I
still get
jerking/pausing/skipping on every dvd this machine burns.

This machine is showing NO video related errors, no video type problems (tho
I must admit
UT2004 is the only game I have ever had installed on here or play really) My
benchmark
scores in 3dMark2005, AguaMark, and Code Creatures (and even pc pitstop)
have
always registered very good. (upper 10 pct I would guess) ...

So I am at a total loss. I have no idea what to try setting all those
settings in the control panel
to. I am running at defaults (except I have VPU Recover turned off) ....

Does ANYONE have any ideas?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about could burning issue

    What happens with DVD burning if you change the resolution back to 800x600?

    --
    Paul Woodsford
    Remove NOSPAM to reply.

    Mtimerding wrote:
> [...]
    > something ... shortly thereafter, the cat 5.8's came out, I installed them,
    > and now
    > no more errors appeared in the event viewer, yet as mentioned above, I
    > still get
    > jerking/pausing/skipping on every dvd this machine burns.
    >
    > This machine is showing NO video related errors, no video type problems (tho
    > I must admit
    > UT2004 is the only game I have ever had installed on here or play really) My
    > benchmark
    > scores in 3dMark2005, AguaMark, and Code Creatures (and even pc pitstop)
    > have
    > always registered very good. (upper 10 pct I would guess) ...
    >
    > So I am at a total loss. I have no idea what to try setting all those
    > settings in the control panel
    > to. I am running at defaults (except I have VPU Recover turned off) ....

    Have you tried a different DVD burner in the computer, like the one in
    your wife's computer, to make sure that the burner itself isn't creating
    marginal burns? Also, you might want to run a program like MotherBoard
    Monitor 5 to monitor your voltages while burning a DVD to make sure that
    the power isn't dropping in the middle of a burn and creating a problem.

Radeon DVD Graphics