Installing a new card

I will be upgrading my ATI 8500 to an AIW 9800 Pro and want to be sure I
install the drivers the correct way, as I've heard of some that created
problems for themselves. I downloaded a driver uninstaller from the ATI
site. Is this the correct thing to use and how do I go about this?

I myself have just loaded the new ATI drivers over the old, with no
problems.
But this was just drivers and control panel, not other stuff
(ATI 9600 Pro AIW)
But using the uninstall program to clear out old drivers is a good idea.

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:42:35 -0400, "pandj@mailandnews.com"
<VWMstuv@VWMail.com> wrote:

>I will be upgrading my ATI 8500 to an AIW 9800 Pro and want to be sure I
>install the drivers the correct way, as I've heard of some that created
>problems for themselves. I downloaded a driver uninstaller from the ATI
>site. Is this the correct thing to use and how do I go about this?

Yep, run the CAT unstaller and then install the 5.8 drivers. I run the
CAT uninstaller even when installing new drivers for the same card as
that guarantees a clean install and no screw ups as has happened to me
when installing over the top of old drivers.

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:02:04 GMT, Praxiteles Democritus
<no@email.here> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:42:35 -0400, "pandj@mailandnews.com"
><VWMstuv@VWMail.com> wrote:
>
>>I will be upgrading my ATI 8500 to an AIW 9800 Pro and want to be sure I
>>install the drivers the correct way, as I've heard of some that created
>>problems for themselves. I downloaded a driver uninstaller from the ATI
>>site. Is this the correct thing to use and how do I go about this?
>>
>Yep, run the CAT unstaller and then install the 5.8 drivers. I run the
>CAT uninstaller even when installing new drivers for the same card as
>that guarantees a clean install and no screw ups as has happened to me
>when installing over the top of old drivers.

Agreed. But uninstall the drivers and software and reboot before
running the ATI - Software Uninstall Utility (if that shows in your
Add/Remove Programs - same thing as the catuninstaller.exe); don't use
it as a substitute for uninstalling. Can be useful to delete the
folder that the driver/software files are unpacked to, as well:
usually C:\ATI.

It can be useful to use a driver cleaner as well to ensure that all
ATI references are removed and to go through your WINDOWS/WINNT folder
deleting all ati files (do a search on ati*.*) as well, but the ATI
utility really seems to take care of everything that's necessary.

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

There's a very handy, very thorough uninstaller packaged with recent
Catalyst drivers, that'll remove every trace of ATi software (including tech
demos) from your system. By default it's under:
C:\Program Files\ati Technologies\UninstallAll\AtiCimUn.exe

"pandj@mailandnews.com" <VWMstuv@VWMail.com> wrote in message
>I will be upgrading my ATI 8500 to an AIW 9800 Pro and want to be sure I
>install the drivers the correct way, as I've heard of some that created
>problems for themselves. I downloaded a driver uninstaller from the ATI
>site. Is this the correct thing to use and how do I go about this?

You can get the program Driver Cleaner Professional Edition here
http://www.drivercleaner.net/
Use it after you've uninstalled ATI software in Add/Remove program.