Firewall Not Working?? Help..

a b 8 Security
August 27, 2005 7:30:01 PM

I recently installed the microsoft service pack 2 and used the firewall for
a while, but now it is not working at all?? Not sure?? The alarm I get when
trying to use it says " Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS) service" What does this mean?? I noticed it not
working shortly after installing microsofts antispyware program>>> Any
comments or suggestions are welcome.. I just want it fixed.. Thanks...

More about : firewall working

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 27, 2005 7:46:02 PM

To add to my post I have tried just about everything to even open the thing
to let me try and enable it back, it just won't allow me to.. I even
reinstalled the service pack to see if that would work but no good.. Am very
frustrated at this point..

"ginger1298" wrote:

> I recently installed the microsoft service pack 2 and used the firewall for
> a while, but now it is not working at all?? Not sure?? The alarm I get when
> trying to use it says " Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet
> Connection Sharing (ICS) service" What does this mean?? I noticed it not
> working shortly after installing microsofts antispyware program>>> Any
> comments or suggestions are welcome.. I just want it fixed.. Thanks...
August 27, 2005 11:12:43 PM

ginger1298 wrote:

> To add to my post I have tried just about everything to even open the
> thing
> to let me try and enable it back, it just won't allow me to.. I even
> reinstalled the service pack to see if that would work but no good..
> Am very frustrated at this point..
>
> "ginger1298" wrote:
>
>> I recently installed the microsoft service pack 2 and used the
>> firewall for
>> a while, but now it is not working at all?? Not sure?? The alarm I
>> get when
>> trying to use it says " Windows cannot start the Windows
>> Firewall/Internet
>> Connection Sharing (ICS) service" What does this mean?? I noticed
>> it not
>> working shortly after installing microsofts antispyware program>>>
>> Any
>> comments or suggestions are welcome.. I just want it fixed..
>> Thanks...

The Windows Firewall being disabled by the beta MS Antispyware program
is a known issue. Post questions about MSAS in one of the groups
created specifically for it.

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...

As for the firewall being disabled, MS antispyware tool disables Windows
Firewall (or to reset firewall): Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350