patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

I'm on dial-up and to install HL2 will take most of the day. I found an
Offline Loader on the web, but it didn't come with instructions. Anyone know
how to use it? I have no desire to play online, just single-play.

"Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm on dial-up and to install HL2 will take most of the day. I found an
> Offline Loader on the web, but it didn't come with instructions. Anyone know
> how to use it? I have no desire to play online, just single-play.

Unless you're on sub-28.8, it won't take "most of the day". About 2-3
hours after it's all loaded from the CDs. After you're ready to play, stay
connected for another hour or so (it's all resumable) and you'll never
need to connect again.

patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

"nutt" <octaviola@yahoo.com> wrote

> > Unless you're on sub-28.8, it won't take "most of the day". About 2-3
> > hours after it's all loaded from the CDs. After you're ready to play, stay
> > connected for another hour or so (it's all resumable) and you'll never
> > need to connect again.
> >
> I'm out in the sticks, 26.4 is my normal connect speed. It will take me
> most of the day to get ready for "Offline Play". At least it did the last
> time I installed before my HD crash.

Hmm, well, I'm stuck at 31.2k myself. It can't take *that* much longer
can it? It may seem like a whole day, but I installed during the SuperBowl
and was ready to play before the game was over.

In any case, I have no clue what "Offline Loader" even means. You'd at
least have to decrypt the files through Steam, right? Then what, it tricks
the game into starting without any updates? I don't know why you'd
want to do this -- it's just the time it would take to download a large patch
for any game, and it's resumable, so you don't have to do it all at once.