HELP - White Screen After Soft Reset - Axim5 !!!

May 3, 2004 6:26:43 PM

My x5 has been working well since I got it, when they first came out.
I keep most of my programs on an SD card, if it matters.

After a soft reset, I got the start up tone, and then the white screen (which
usually goes away after a second or two). This time, about 10 minutes and it's
still there.

I didn't know what to do, so I reluctantly did a hard reset, and reinstalled
most of my software, soft resetting often. One time I did the soft reset, and
the screen stayed white

It doesn't seem like hardware because, if I do the hard reset all is well, as I
add programs - No I don't recall which one I added last. One thing is that I've
had all of these programs on there at one time or another without this problem.

Any ideas short of hard reset and reinstall again? Are there some special key
sequences to push to get it to bypass loading the thing it seems to be hanging
up on??

Will I have to reinstall everything? I didn't make a backup.

Thanks

Henry

Posted Using Agent 2.0
[to reply, delete the AT]

******************************
Anonymous
May 4, 2004 2:19:02 AM

It definitely sounds like a software problem. That doesn't mean that
there's a problem with any particular software. You may simply have chosen
a setting that doesn't work properly. For instance, if you choose
transcriber as the default input method, you'll get a white screen.

"Henry" <hziembaAT@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My x5 has been working well since I got it, when they first came out.
> I keep most of my programs on an SD card, if it matters.
>
> After a soft reset, I got the start up tone, and then the white screen
(which
> usually goes away after a second or two). This time, about 10 minutes and
it's
> still there.
>
> I didn't know what to do, so I reluctantly did a hard reset, and
reinstalled
> most of my software, soft resetting often. One time I did the soft reset,
and
> the screen stayed white
>
> It doesn't seem like hardware because, if I do the hard reset all is well,
as I
> add programs - No I don't recall which one I added last. One thing is
that I've
> had all of these programs on there at one time or another without this
problem.

> Any ideas short of hard reset and reinstall again? Are there some special
key
> sequences to push to get it to bypass loading the thing it seems to be
hanging
> up on??
>
> Will I have to reinstall everything? I didn't make a backup.
>
> Thanks
>
> Henry
>
> Posted Using Agent 2.0
> [to reply, delete the AT]
>
> ******************************
May 4, 2004 11:18:30 AM

On Mon, 3 May 2004 22:19:02 -0500, "Dennis Langton" <dlangton@wctc.net> wrote:

>It definitely sounds like a software problem. That doesn't mean that
>there's a problem with any particular software. You may simply have chosen
>a setting that doesn't work properly. For instance, if you choose
>transcriber as the default input method, you'll get a white screen.

That's my suspicion too, because I ran the Dell Diagnostic Manager and it showed
PASS for everything it tested: CPU,DRAM,FLASH,REC,DISPLAY,BUTTON,AUDIO,LED.

If anyone is wondering how I got into this mode, it was a button combination
involving the scroll button, reset button, power button, and the contacts, as I
recall. When it finished going through the tests, it went into a mode where
every few seconds, it would play some sequence of tones, and keep repeating it.
I didn't know what to do at that point, so I just put it on the AC, and went
away for about an hour. BEWARE - What it did that I wasn't expecting was to do
a HARD reset, erasing the memory.

I've had these "white screen" problems twice - once just out of the blue
(apparently), and the other time when reinstalling the software. I remember
reinstalling Transcriber, but remember it telling me that it was already
installed. Maybe Dell put Transcriber in as a part of their final ROM upgrade to
PC2002. Initially, I had the original ROM - I bought the Axim in November 02.

Any suggestions on how to find the offending software?

Should it matter where I install programs - memory, built in storage, SD card?

Thanks!

Henry

Posted Using Agent 2.0
[to reply, delete the AT]