Encryption nightmare

I had a folder on my desktop that i encrypted, using the advanced read only
in the properties tab. I backed up my desktop, and reformatted my computer. I
had forgotten to unencrypt that folder, now all the files in there i cannot
access. All i get is access denied. I really need to recover that data, can
anyone help?

Windows XP PRO SP2

Do you have the original keys or profile used to encrypt the data?
They must be original and can not be recreated.
If not your data is probably gone forever.
See the links near the bottom of this page for ways to protect your data in
the future:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
If it is an Ownership and not EFS, step 1 on the link should help.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"RaVeNsM0Ke" <RaVeNsM0Ke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a folder on my desktop that i encrypted, using the advanced read only
> in the properties tab. I backed up my desktop, and reformatted my
> computer. I
> had forgotten to unencrypt that folder, now all the files in there i
> cannot
> access. All i get is access denied. I really need to recover that data,
> can
> anyone help?
>
> Windows XP PRO SP2

Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"RaVeNsM0Ke" wrote:

| I had a folder on my desktop that i encrypted, using the advanced read only
| in the properties tab. I backed up my desktop, and reformatted my computer. I
| had forgotten to unencrypt that folder, now all the files in there i cannot
| access. All i get is access denied. I really need to recover that data, can
| anyone help?
|
| Windows XP PRO SP2

I have the certificate thumbprint. Is there any way to apply that toward
decrypting my data?

RaVeNsM0Ke wrote:
> I had a folder on my desktop that i encrypted, using the advanced read only
> in the properties tab. I backed up my desktop, and reformatted my computer. I
> had forgotten to unencrypt that folder, now all the files in there i cannot
> access. All i get is access denied. I really need to recover that data, can
> anyone help?
>
> Windows XP PRO SP2

If the your encryption certificates and keys were not backed up
before the reinstallation, and the workstation isn't part of a domain,
those files are gone, for all practical purposes. Encryption works
well and there is no "back door" or hack to access the files.
(Wouldn't be much point to EFS if it were vulnerable.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

You need to have the EFS certificate with that thumbprint and its
corresponding private key. In your original mail, you said that you backed
up your desktop. If there's a chance that you backed up the entire profile
(where the certificate/key exist), you might be able to recover them using
reccerts.exe from Microsoft or AEFSDR from
http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/.

Thanks.
Pat