Encryption nightmare

I had a folder on my desktop that i encrypted, using the advanced read only
in the properties tab. I backed up my desktop, and reformatted my computer. I
had forgotten to unencrypt that folder, now all the files in there i cannot
access. All i get is access denied. I really need to recover that data, can
anyone help?

Windows XP PRO SP2
5 answers Last reply
More about encryption nightmare

    Do you have the original keys or profile used to encrypt the data?
    They must be original and can not be recreated.
    If not your data is probably gone forever.
    See the links near the bottom of this page for ways to protect your data in
    the future:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
    If it is an Ownership and not EFS, step 1 on the link should help.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "RaVeNsM0Ke" <RaVeNsM0Ke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had a folder on my desktop that i encrypted, using the advanced read only
    > in the properties tab. I backed up my desktop, and reformatted my
    > computer. I
    > had forgotten to unencrypt that folder, now all the files in there i
    > cannot
    > access. All i get is access denied. I really need to recover that data,
    > can
    > anyone help?
    >
    > Windows XP PRO SP2

    Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "RaVeNsM0Ke" wrote:

    | I had a folder on my desktop that i encrypted, using the advanced read only
    | in the properties tab. I backed up my desktop, and reformatted my computer. I
    | had forgotten to unencrypt that folder, now all the files in there i cannot
    | access. All i get is access denied. I really need to recover that data, can
    | anyone help?
    |
    | Windows XP PRO SP2

    I have the certificate thumbprint. Is there any way to apply that toward
    decrypting my data?

    RaVeNsM0Ke wrote:
    > I had a folder on my desktop that i encrypted, using the advanced read only
    > in the properties tab. I backed up my desktop, and reformatted my computer. I
    > had forgotten to unencrypt that folder, now all the files in there i cannot
    > access. All i get is access denied. I really need to recover that data, can
    > anyone help?
    >
    > Windows XP PRO SP2

    If the your encryption certificates and keys were not backed up
    before the reinstallation, and the workstation isn't part of a domain,
    those files are gone, for all practical purposes. Encryption works
    well and there is no "back door" or hack to access the files.
    (Wouldn't be much point to EFS if it were vulnerable.)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You need to have the EFS certificate with that thumbprint and its
    corresponding private key. In your original mail, you said that you backed
    up your desktop. If there's a chance that you backed up the entire profile
    (where the certificate/key exist), you might be able to recover them using
    reccerts.exe from Microsoft or AEFSDR from
    http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/.

    Thanks.
    Pat

    "RaVeNsM0Ke" wrote:

    > I have the certificate thumbprint. Is there any way to apply that toward
    > decrypting my data?

Encryption Desktops Windows XP