ATI 9550 Disables USB 2.0

After installing an ATI 9550 AGP card under Windows XP, a USB 2.0 card based
on the NEC chipset reverts to 1.1. Has anyone seen this behavior before,
and is there a workaround?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

In BIOS, toggle "assign IRQ to VGA" if the option is available. Also, avoid
putting the USB card in the PCI slot directly under the video card.

"Will" <DELETE_westes at earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> After installing an ATI 9550 AGP card under Windows XP, a USB 2.0 card
> based
> on the NEC chipset reverts to 1.1. Has anyone seen this behavior before,
> and is there a workaround?
>
> --
> Will
> westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Is the objective to not use any IRQ for the VGA? Instructing a "toggle" is
ambiguous because you don't know the current state, and your ultimate
objective is unstated.

--
Will

> In BIOS, toggle "assign IRQ to VGA" if the option is available. Also,
avoid
> putting the USB card in the PCI slot directly under the video card.

> "Will" <DELETE_westes at earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> > After installing an ATI 9550 AGP card under Windows XP, a USB 2.0 card
> > based
> > on the NEC chipset reverts to 1.1. Has anyone seen this behavior
before,
> > and is there a workaround?
> >
> > --
> > Will
> > westes AT earthbroadcast.com

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> Is the objective to not use any IRQ for the VGA? Instructing a "toggle"
> is
> ambiguous because you don't know the current state, and your ultimate
> objective is unstated.
>
> --
> Will
>

> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In BIOS, toggle "assign IRQ to VGA" if the option is available. Also,
> avoid
>> putting the USB card in the PCI slot directly under the video card.
>>
>> --
>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>>

>> "Will" <DELETE_westes at earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
>> > After installing an ATI 9550 AGP card under Windows XP, a USB 2.0 card
>> > based
>> > on the NEC chipset reverts to 1.1. Has anyone seen this behavior
> before,
>> > and is there a workaround?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Will
>> > westes AT earthbroadcast.com

you do want an IRQ assigned to VGA - the other suggestion is the better
one - make sure nothing is in the PCI slot next to the AGP as some
motherboards assign IRQs to slots in pairs. Its best if you can to space
your cards out - better for cooling too.

I have plenty of space between the AGP ATI 9550 and the USB 2.0 cards.
That's not the cause.

--

"Sleepy" <bpespleyremovetheobvious@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> > Is the objective to not use any IRQ for the VGA? Instructing a
"toggle"
> > is
> > ambiguous because you don't know the current state, and your ultimate
> > objective is unstated.
> >
> > --
> > Will
> >

> > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> In BIOS, toggle "assign IRQ to VGA" if the option is available. Also,
> > avoid
> >> putting the USB card in the PCI slot directly under the video card.
> >>
> >> --
> >> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
> >> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
> >> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
> >>

> >> "Will" <DELETE_westes at earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> > before,

> you do want an IRQ assigned to VGA - the other suggestion is the better
> one - make sure nothing is in the PCI slot next to the AGP as some
> motherboards assign IRQs to slots in pairs. Its best if you can to space
> your cards out - better for cooling too.

The Compaq onboard USB1.1 controllers are taking IRQ 10 and 5.

The VGA controller has IRQ 11

The additional USB 2.0 card appears to be allocated IRQ 11 and 5, so there
is indeed a conflict with the VGA.

Why does the Compaq BIOS only give you IRQ 5, 10, and 11? Surely there are
others available? Even after disabling one serial port and the parallel
port, I still don't see the IRQs occupied by those devices as available for
assignment to anything else.

--

> you do want an IRQ assigned to VGA - the other suggestion is the better
> one - make sure nothing is in the PCI slot next to the AGP as some
> motherboards assign IRQs to slots in pairs. Its best if you can to space
> your cards out - better for cooling too.

Interesting discussion. I have a ATI 9550 and I have had a problem with a
USB 2.0 TV connection and USB 2.0 External Hard Drive. When they were
originally connected there was a warning ....you can increase speed by using
USB 2.0. They are both connected to a Belkin PCI/USB2 card. The system
devices reports that the PCI card is an USB enhanced. Is it really and is
there another way to check if my USB is 1.1 or 2.0? Thanks....REL
> The Compaq onboard USB1.1 controllers are taking IRQ 10 and 5.
>
> The VGA controller has IRQ 11
>
> The additional USB 2.0 card appears to be allocated IRQ 11 and 5, so there
> is indeed a conflict with the VGA.
>
> Why does the Compaq BIOS only give you IRQ 5, 10, and 11? Surely there
> are
> others available? Even after disabling one serial port and the parallel
> port, I still don't see the IRQs occupied by those devices as available
> for
> assignment to anything else.
>
> --
> Will
> westes AT earthbroadcast.com
>

> "Sleepy" <bpespleyremovetheobvious@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> you do want an IRQ assigned to VGA - the other suggestion is the better
>> one - make sure nothing is in the PCI slot next to the AGP as some
>> motherboards assign IRQs to slots in pairs. Its best if you can to space
>> your cards out - better for cooling too.

I meant just that, toggle. There's a reason such an *option* is there. The
video card will most likely work under either setting. Try both and see if
your USB card will run at 2.0 speeds.

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> Is the objective to not use any IRQ for the VGA? Instructing a "toggle"
> is
> ambiguous because you don't know the current state, and your ultimate
> objective is unstated.
>
> --
> Will

I disabled COM2 (port "B" in Compaq terminology) and the parallel port,
which of course frees up two IRQs in the process. Right away USB 2.0
started working again at 2.0 speeds. Try something similar for your
system.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone about whether there is any utility
that will report at what speed USB devices are configuring when they attach
to the system. I learned of this problem only by luck, when I went to
make a data CD and saw that the maximum write speed was far below the
device's potential.

--
Will

"Ron Lane" <rlane8@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Interesting discussion. I have a ATI 9550 and I have had a problem with a
> USB 2.0 TV connection and USB 2.0 External Hard Drive. When they were
> originally connected there was a warning ....you can increase speed by
using
> USB 2.0. They are both connected to a Belkin PCI/USB2 card. The system
> devices reports that the PCI card is an USB enhanced. Is it really and is
> there another way to check if my USB is 1.1 or 2.0? Thanks....REL

I spoke too soon. The DVD Writer went back to being USB 1.1. Now I
tried to disable the IRQ for the VGA, and even after doing that the DVD
Writer remains USB 1.1.

At this point I have disabled:

COM2
Parallel Port
VGA IRQ

I only have two PCI cards in this Compaq W8000 workstation:

ATI RADEON 9550 AGP
Maxtor USB 2.0 (I also tried Belkin 5 port card with same result)

It used to all work fine at USB 2.0, but the day I installed the ATI card
the USB 2.0 bus negotiated all devices connected to it to USB 1.1 speeds.

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

"Ron Lane" <rlane8@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Interesting discussion. I have a ATI 9550 and I have had a problem with a
> USB 2.0 TV connection and USB 2.0 External Hard Drive. When they were
> originally connected there was a warning ....you can increase speed by
using
> USB 2.0. They are both connected to a Belkin PCI/USB2 card. The system
> devices reports that the PCI card is an USB enhanced. Is it really and is
> there another way to check if my USB is 1.1 or 2.0? Thanks....REL

Check www.belkin.com. They will lead you to a new driver that worked for me.
BTW, my pci Belkin card never worked for USB 2.0 until now. I recently clean
installed Windows XP two weeks ago and windows did not recognize the card
the first time, only as "unknown". The I removed card and receded it and the
computer found it. Although the device manager noted the USB Enhanced mode,
it did not list specifically USB 2.0. Let me know if the above works.....REL