ATI Radeon 9800 Pro fan died

When the fan siezed up then the 9800 Pro would overheat causing the computer
to freeze up.Kind of ironic. Or when I moved a window over to the second CRT
display it would cause a restart. The heatsink was hot as a pistol. I hope
the graphics chip isn't destroyed yet. What can I do for the cooling of this
card? I don't think I can get a replacement fan from ATI so is there some
aftermarket fan/heatsink that I could get? On this card the little fan sits
inside the heatsink attached by three screws rather than on top of it. I
don't think I can find an exact sized fan to fit inside so I would have to
place a bigger fan over the entire heatsink. Do you think this will cool it
down enough? Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Jimbo

BigJim

you can get an aftermarket fan I lost the link
"Jimmy Martin" <jimmy7forever@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When the fan siezed up then the 9800 Pro would overheat causing the
> computer to freeze up.Kind of ironic. Or when I moved a window over to the
> second CRT display it would cause a restart. The heatsink was hot as a
> pistol. I hope the graphics chip isn't destroyed yet. What can I do for
> the cooling of this card? I don't think I can get a replacement fan from
> ATI so is there some aftermarket fan/heatsink that I could get? On this
> card the little fan sits inside the heatsink attached by three screws
> rather than on top of it. I don't think I can find an exact sized fan to
> fit inside so I would have to place a bigger fan over the entire heatsink.
> Do you think this will cool it down enough? Any ideas would be very
> helpful.
>
> Thanks.
> Jimbo

Cheap solution if you don't care about aesthetics: remove the dead fan and
zip-tie an 80-mm case fan over the existing heat sink. Obviously make sure
the fan blades can rotate freely without scrubbing anything. You will
probably get better airflow this way than with an Arctic Cooler.

If the card is within warranty, call ATi customer support at 877-284-1564
and ask them to send you a new heat sink/fan assembly.

"Jimmy Martin" <jimmy7forever@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When the fan siezed up then the 9800 Pro would overheat causing the
> computer to freeze up.Kind of ironic. Or when I moved a window over to the
> second CRT display it would cause a restart. The heatsink was hot as a
> pistol. I hope the graphics chip isn't destroyed yet. What can I do for
> the cooling of this card? I don't think I can get a replacement fan from
> ATI so is there some aftermarket fan/heatsink that I could get? On this
> card the little fan sits inside the heatsink attached by three screws
> rather than on top of it. I don't think I can find an exact sized fan to
> fit inside so I would have to place a bigger fan over the entire heatsink.
> Do you think this will cool it down enough? Any ideas would be very
> helpful.
>
> Thanks.
> Jimbo

CannonFodder

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> you can get an aftermarket fan I lost the link
> "Jimmy Martin" <jimmy7forever@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> When the fan siezed up then the 9800 Pro would overheat causing the
>> computer to freeze up.Kind of ironic. Or when I moved a window over to
>> the second CRT display it would cause a restart. The heatsink was hot as
>> a pistol. I hope the graphics chip isn't destroyed yet. What can I do for
>> the cooling of this card? I don't think I can get a replacement fan from
>> ATI so is there some aftermarket fan/heatsink that I could get? On this
>> card the little fan sits inside the heatsink attached by three screws
>> rather than on top of it. I don't think I can find an exact sized fan to
>> fit inside so I would have to place a bigger fan over the entire
>> heatsink. Do you think this will cool it down enough? Any ideas would be
>> very helpful.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Jimbo

Or buy an Arctic hatsink and fan unit, usually named a silencer. Quieter
than the standard one and not too expensive.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php

'fodder

You can probably get a better fan than the original. I used an old Athlon
slot fan, it blows a lot more air than the stock fan. I had to cinch up some
of the heatsink fins to get the screws to grab though.

--
there is no .sig