xp asks for password...

hi experts,

had sp2 and other updates installed.
uninstalled most of them because...well because i was trying to install
older software that worked before sp2 was installed..

anyway, now big problem. suddenly xp asks for password to logon, and this
is really strange, cos i have never in my life had a password for my
computer.

so obviously no matter what i enter, the computer asks politely if i've
forgotten the password....

what to do? big problem. please help.

thanks...
--
Ashish
7 answers Last reply

    In news:03604205-F160-4F73-AB7B-931E352ECD31@microsoft.com,
    Ash <Ash@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > hi experts,
    >
    > had sp2 and other updates installed.
    > uninstalled most of them because...well because i was trying to
    > install older software that worked before sp2 was installed..
    >
    > anyway, now big problem. suddenly xp asks for password to logon, and
    > this is really strange, cos i have never in my life had a password
    > for my computer.
    >
    > so obviously no matter what i enter, the computer asks politely if
    > i've forgotten the password....
    >
    > what to do? big problem. please help.
    >
    > thanks...

    Have you tried leaving it blank? If that didn't work then go ahead and kill
    the password, log on as admin, and then change the password for your
    account.

    Password Problems :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/2k-XP/security/password_problems.html

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    hi

    - thanks for the answer, Galen.
    tried as suggested, but does not work.

    password recovery software shows both administrator and user passwords as
    'blank'.

    cannot still log on.
    suggestions?

    - thanks.

    --
    Ashish

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:03604205-F160-4F73-AB7B-931E352ECD31@microsoft.com,
    > Ash <Ash@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > hi experts,
    > >
    > > had sp2 and other updates installed.
    > > uninstalled most of them because...well because i was trying to
    > > install older software that worked before sp2 was installed..
    > >
    > > anyway, now big problem. suddenly xp asks for password to logon, and
    > > this is really strange, cos i have never in my life had a password
    > > for my computer.
    > >
    > > so obviously no matter what i enter, the computer asks politely if
    > > i've forgotten the password....
    > >
    > > what to do? big problem. please help.
    > >
    > > thanks...
    >
    > Have you tried leaving it blank? If that didn't work then go ahead and kill
    > the password, log on as admin, and then change the password for your
    > account.
    >
    > Password Problems :
    > http://kgiii.info/windows/2k-XP/security/password_problems.html
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
    > trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
    > come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    ps.

    computer has french version of xp.
    hope that doesnt change anything.

    --
    Ashish

    In news:706554AE-E14B-4D99-8D5E-604A7252FC5D@microsoft.com,
    Ash <Ash@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > ps.
    >
    > computer has french version of xp.
    > hope that doesnt change anything.
    >

    >> hi
    >>
    >> - thanks for the answer, Galen.
    >> tried as suggested, but does not work.
    >>
    >> password recovery software shows both administrator and user
    >> passwords as 'blank'.
    >>
    >> cannot still log on.
    >> suggestions?
    >>
    >> - thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ashish
    >>

    >> "Galen" wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:03604205-F160-4F73-AB7B-931E352ECD31@microsoft.com,
    >>> Ash <Ash@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
    >>>
    >>> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

    >>> Have you tried leaving it blank? If that didn't work then go ahead
    >>> and kill the password, log on as admin, and then change the
    >>> password for your account.
    >>>
    >>> Password Problems :
    >>> http://kgiii.info/windows/2k-XP/security/password_problems.html
    >>>
    >>> Galen
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
    >>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
    >>> will
    >>> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
    >>> all."
    >>>
    >>> Sherlock Holmes

    Your version shouldn't matter at all actually. Have you tried leaving the
    password section blank? Just don't enter one at all? If you have and it is
    still not working you *may* be looking at a repair installation. However the
    potential security implications of your password field being disabled would
    mean I'd be more likely to (where this my own personal PC or a client's box
    which I was allowed to do so) flatten the system completely after using a
    third party tool to backup anything important.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Ash wrote:
    > hi experts,
    >
    > had sp2 and other updates installed.
    > uninstalled most of them because...well because i was trying to install
    > older software that worked before sp2 was installed..
    >
    > anyway, now big problem. suddenly xp asks for password to logon, and this
    > is really strange, cos i have never in my life had a password for my
    > computer.
    >
    > so obviously no matter what i enter, the computer asks politely if i've
    > forgotten the password....
    >
    > what to do? big problem. please help.
    >
    > thanks...

    Windows XP is designed for multiple users, you, your
    children, wife/husband, etc. (That's why each one need
    a passwd).

    Here is I search the key words Forget Password from Help
    And good luck.

    To access the local user account through a password reset disk
    If you made a password reset disk for your local user account through
    the Forgotten Password Wizard, you can use it to access the computer,
    even if you have forgotten your password.

    The following instructions will only work if you are in a domain
    environment or on a computer that was once joined to a domain.

    For information about accessing the local user account through a
    password reset disk in a workgroup environment, click Related Topics.

    At the Welcome screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and type your password in
    Password. If you have forgotten your password, the Logon Failed dialog
    box is displayed.
    Click Reset, and put your password reset disk into drive A.
    Follow the instructions in the Password Reset Wizard to create a new
    password.
    Log on with the new password, and then store your password reset disk in
    a safe place in case you need it to reset your password in the future.
    You do not need to make a new password reset disk.
    For overview information about the Forgotten Password Wizard and the
    Password Reset Wizard, and for instructions for creating the Password
    Reset Disk, click Related Topics.

    Note

    The Forgotten Password Wizard helps you recover your user account and
    personalized computer settings if you forget your password.
    Related Topics

    nope..
    still doesnt work....:(

    am just about resigned to formatting the whole thing
    will wait for a day or so in case anyone has other ideas

    damn.

    thanks for the help so far, folks.

    --
    Ashish

    Ash wrote:
    > hi experts,
    >
    > had sp2 and other updates installed.
    > uninstalled most of them because...well because i was trying to
    > install older software that worked before sp2 was installed..
    >
    > anyway, now big problem. suddenly xp asks for password to logon, and
    > this is really strange, cos i have never in my life had a password
    > for my computer.
    >
    > so obviously no matter what i enter, the computer asks politely if
    > i've forgotten the password....
    >
    > what to do? big problem. please help.

    Hack it and change it..

    Hack your password: