Safe mode

a b 8 Security
August 29, 2005 9:51:56 AM

Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
Need to block this back door to prevent any user using emergency admin
access.

More about : safe mode

August 29, 2005 12:39:08 PM

Lil' Dave wrote:
> Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
> Need to block this back door to prevent any user using emergency admin
> access.

Why don't you simply put a password on the default account?

--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

Lil' Dave,
You can set up an administrator password in the bios, and XP won't
start to load until you give it the password.
Of course if you forget the password, your close to being screwed.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

a b 8 Security
August 29, 2005 4:13:35 PM

Lil' Dave wrote:
> *Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
> Need to block this back door to prevent any user using emergency
> admin
> access. *

Hi

The easiest (& probably the only) way would be to assign a STRONG
password to the account, tip, make the password different to the
regular admin password.

Regards

CReWdog

--
CReWdog
August 29, 2005 8:35:48 PM

"" wrote:
> Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
> Need to block this back door to prevent any user using
> emergency admin
> access.

Couldnt you just put a password on the administrator acount?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-Safe-mode-f...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1381934
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 29, 2005 11:56:36 PM

Lil' Dave wrote:
> Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
> Need to block this back door to prevent any user using emergency admin
> access.

No you can't block Safe Mode. If you don't want users accessing the
built-in Administrator account, why don't you just set a strong password
on it?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 30, 2005 7:53:50 AM

news:o zzjNYQrFHA.3016@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Lil' Dave wrote:
> > Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
> > Need to block this back door to prevent any user using emergency admin
> > access.
> >

> No you can't block Safe Mode. If you don't want users accessing the
> built-in Administrator account, why don't you just set a strong password
> on it?
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Because that's the purpose of the default administrator account having no
password. Emergency administrator access.

Well, apparently, no one has a method to prevent user access to safe mode in
XP Home Edition..
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 30, 2005 8:03:46 AM

If were my PC, no problem. But doing this for a PC owner who is very hands
off to any kind of maintenance. She has admin access under her account, the
remaining all have user accounts. Have reason to believe one of the users
is backdooring the default admin account in safe mode.

In an Award bios, one has to setup a password for system, and a password for
bios setup entry. One for the system prevents the bios seeking the system
for boot media. The other is needed to prevent changing the system
password.
"Treeman" <Treeman.1uj4f3@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> Lil' Dave,
> You can set up an administrator password in the bios, and XP won't
> start to load until you give it the password.
> Of course if you forget the password, your close to being screwed.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

August 30, 2005 11:52:06 AM

Lil' Dave wrote:

> Because that's the purpose of the default administrator account having no
> password. Emergency administrator access.
>
> Well, apparently, no one has a method to prevent user access to safe mode in
> XP Home Edition..

The purpose of the default administrator account is NOT to have no
password on it!!!

The purpose of it is to have an administrator account that CANNOT BE
DELETED, to ensure administrative access to the PC. This DOES NOT MEAN
that the account should not have a password.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 30, 2005 11:41:13 PM

Lil' Dave wrote:

> Because that's the purpose of the default administrator account having no
> password.

No it isn't. Where'd you ever hear such a silly thing? The standard
security practice is to rename it, set a strong password on it and use
it only to create another account for regular use, reserving the
Administrator account as a "back door" in case something corrupts your
regular account(s).

> Emergency administrator access.

How's setting a password preclude this?

> Well, apparently, no one has a method to prevent user access to safe mode in
> XP Home Edition..

Yes, there is such a method, built-in. It's called a password.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
December 27, 2008 11:03:33 AM

A password does not prevent someone who IS authorized to use the machine (and has a valid user/pass) from bypassing security applications by booting into safe mode. However, there IS a way to prevent safemode.. just google "NoSafeMode".
!