Safe mode

Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
Need to block this back door to prevent any user using emergency admin
access.
10 answers Last reply
More about safe mode

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
    > Need to block this back door to prevent any user using emergency admin
    > access.

    Why don't you simply put a password on the default account?

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    Lil' Dave,
    You can set up an administrator password in the bios, and XP won't
    start to load until you give it the password.
    Of course if you forget the password, your close to being screwed.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > *Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
    > Need to block this back door to prevent any user using emergency
    > admin
    > access. *

    Hi

    The easiest (& probably the only) way would be to assign a STRONG
    password to the account, tip, make the password different to the
    regular admin password.

    Regards

    CReWdog

    --
    CReWdog

    "" wrote:
    > Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
    > Need to block this back door to prevent any user using
    > emergency admin
    > access.

    Couldnt you just put a password on the administrator acount?

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-Safe-mode-ftopict414776.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1381934

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
    > Need to block this back door to prevent any user using emergency admin
    > access.

    No you can't block Safe Mode. If you don't want users accessing the
    built-in Administrator account, why don't you just set a strong password
    on it?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > Lil' Dave wrote:
    > > Is there a way to block safe mode menu in XP Home Edition?
    > > Need to block this back door to prevent any user using emergency admin
    > > access.
    > >

    > No you can't block Safe Mode. If you don't want users accessing the
    > built-in Administrator account, why don't you just set a strong password
    > on it?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Because that's the purpose of the default administrator account having no
    password. Emergency administrator access.

    Well, apparently, no one has a method to prevent user access to safe mode in
    XP Home Edition..

    If were my PC, no problem. But doing this for a PC owner who is very hands
    off to any kind of maintenance. She has admin access under her account, the
    remaining all have user accounts. Have reason to believe one of the users
    is backdooring the default admin account in safe mode.

    In an Award bios, one has to setup a password for system, and a password for
    bios setup entry. One for the system prevents the bios seeking the system
    for boot media. The other is needed to prevent changing the system
    password.

    Lil' Dave wrote:

    > Because that's the purpose of the default administrator account having no
    > password. Emergency administrator access.
    >
    > Well, apparently, no one has a method to prevent user access to safe mode in
    > XP Home Edition..

    The purpose of the default administrator account is NOT to have no
    password on it!!!

    The purpose of it is to have an administrator account that CANNOT BE
    DELETED, to ensure administrative access to the PC. This DOES NOT MEAN
    that the account should not have a password.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

    Lil' Dave wrote:

    > Because that's the purpose of the default administrator account having no
    > password.

    No it isn't. Where'd you ever hear such a silly thing? The standard
    security practice is to rename it, set a strong password on it and use
    it only to create another account for regular use, reserving the
    Administrator account as a "back door" in case something corrupts your
    regular account(s).

    > Emergency administrator access.

    How's setting a password preclude this?

    > Well, apparently, no one has a method to prevent user access to safe mode in
    > XP Home Edition..

    Yes, there is such a method, built-in. It's called a password.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  10. A password does not prevent someone who IS authorized to use the machine (and has a valid user/pass) from bypassing security applications by booting into safe mode. However, there IS a way to prevent safemode.. just google "NoSafeMode".

Safe Mode Security Microsoft Windows XP