KT4AV + Radeon Pro 9600 = Unable to boot

Hi

I am hoping someone out there can help on this one as it is doing my swede
in.

Orginally my system was running with a Geforce MX4000 128mb ram with no
problems what so ever.
Before i say more here are specs of pc

KT4AV m/b
AMD XP 2400
1 Gig DDR
WD 160gb
XP Home SP 2
Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb / Geforce MX4000 128mb

All drivers up to date

To start with, i removed nvidia drivers, shutdown, installed new 9600 pro,
reboot.
Now it is when i reboot i get into all sorts of problems ranging from a
blank screen, partially booting to login screen then freezing, booting to
desktop then freezing. On one blue screen i got a error ati2dvag, i assume
this must be part of windows driver as i have yet to install ATI drivers as
i am unable to boot properly with any stability.

When i revert back to my Geforce system is stable once again.

Hopefully someone out there can get me outta this jam but i be dammed if i
gonna buy ati card again unless of course this is a particular problem for
my config.
9 answers Last reply
More about kt4av radeon 9600 unable boot

    Richy wrote:
    > Hopefully someone out there can get me outta this jam but i be dammed if i
    > gonna buy ati card again unless of course this is a particular problem for
    > my config.

    Have u tried switching Fast Writes off/on in BIOS? Lowering AGP speed?

    --"de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Richy wrote:
    >> Hopefully someone out there can get me outta this jam but i be dammed if
    >> gonna buy ati card again unless of course this is a particular problem
    >> for
    >> my config.
    >
    > Have u tried switching Fast Writes off/on in BIOS? Lowering AGP speed?

    Yeah, i have disabled fast writes in BIOS but cannot change agp speed as it
    set on auto with no option to change it.
    Thanks you though.

    Richy

    Richy wrote:
    > Yeah, i have disabled fast writes in BIOS but cannot change agp speed as it
    > set on auto with no option to change it.
    > Thanks you though.

    Well sounds a bit tricky then. I don't think 9600pro consumes that much
    more power than GF MX4000, so can't be the power supply either... You
    sure your ATI ain't faulty?

    > Richy wrote:
    >> Yeah, i have disabled fast writes in BIOS but cannot change agp speed as
    >> it set on auto with no option to change it.
    >> Thanks you though.
    >
    > Well sounds a bit tricky then. I don't think 9600pro consumes that much
    > more power than GF MX4000, so can't be the power supply either... You sure
    > your ATI ain't faulty?

    It did cross my mind but tried it in one of my other pcs and worked like a
    dream.
    Other PC is lesser spec & different MB. I could rebuild the PC to use the
    other mb but that defeats the object and have the hassle associated with it.
    The idea was a cheap card to get me up & running with battlefield 2, ah well
    sods law! :-)

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:34:03 GMT, "Richy" <kruger32@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> Richy wrote:
    >>> Yeah, i have disabled fast writes in BIOS but cannot change agp speed as
    >>> it set on auto with no option to change it.
    >>> Thanks you though.
    >>
    >> Well sounds a bit tricky then. I don't think 9600pro consumes that much
    >> more power than GF MX4000, so can't be the power supply either... You sure
    >> your ATI ain't faulty?
    >
    >It did cross my mind but tried it in one of my other pcs and worked like a
    >dream.
    >Other PC is lesser spec & different MB. I could rebuild the PC to use the
    >other mb but that defeats the object and have the hassle associated with it.
    >The idea was a cheap card to get me up & running with battlefield 2, ah well
    >sods law! :-)

    This is quite a common problem with people who change from NVidea to
    ATI, or the other way round, Richy.

    Unfortunately, both ATI and NVidia softwares suffer from poor
    uninstall routines and, even more unfortunately, they're not very
    compatible with each other, either.

    Even when you're changing drivers on the same card, it's a good idea
    to have a system clean after uninstalling the old ones. When changing
    brand, it's a _very_ good idea: in your case, NVidea driver remnants
    are almost certainly responsible for your problems.

    You need to clean your system with a good driver cleaner: if you check
    round the NVidea forums, I understand you can find specific NVidea
    driver cleaners, although NVidea themselves don't make one. It would
    also be a good idea, when you've done that, to go through your C:
    drive removing any NVidea folders and files that might be left.
    Fortunately for ATI users and those switching from ATI to NVidea, ATI
    do produce their own cleaner - it installs with their drivers as a
    separate utility. or you can download it. No good for cleaning NVidea
    drivers, though!

    You'll need to clean the NVidea drivers off your system properly, then
    uninstall and reinstall your ATI drivers. Hopefully that should fix
    it. Personally, if I was going to change videocard brand, I'd start
    with a fresh OS install.

    HTH Patrick

    <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

    "patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:34:03 GMT, "Richy" <kruger32@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> wrote in message
    > This is quite a common problem with people who change from NVidea to
    > ATI, or the other way round, Richy.
    >
    > Unfortunately, both ATI and NVidia softwares suffer from poor
    > uninstall routines and, even more unfortunately, they're not very
    > compatible with each other, either.
    >
    > Even when you're changing drivers on the same card, it's a good idea
    > to have a system clean after uninstalling the old ones. When changing
    > brand, it's a _very_ good idea: in your case, NVidea driver remnants
    > are almost certainly responsible for your problems.
    >
    > You need to clean your system with a good driver cleaner: if you check
    > round the NVidea forums, I understand you can find specific NVidea
    > driver cleaners, although NVidea themselves don't make one. It would
    > also be a good idea, when you've done that, to go through your C:
    > drive removing any NVidea folders and files that might be left.
    > Fortunately for ATI users and those switching from ATI to NVidea, ATI
    > do produce their own cleaner - it installs with their drivers as a
    > separate utility. or you can download it. No good for cleaning NVidea
    > drivers, though!
    >
    > You'll need to clean the NVidea drivers off your system properly, then
    > uninstall and reinstall your ATI drivers. Hopefully that should fix
    > it. Personally, if I was going to change videocard brand, I'd start
    > with a fresh OS install.
    >
    > HTH Patrick

    Cheers Patrick, i had uninstalled nvidia drivers then used registry
    mechanic to clean up but i am going to try again but doing a manual clean up
    and shift through registry and files for any remmants of nvidia. will also
    look out for nvida 3rd party removal tool & will report back , some how i
    dont feel hopeful but alas its worth a go

    > "patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:34:03 GMT, "Richy" <kruger32@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> This is quite a common problem with people who change from NVidea to
    >> ATI, or the other way round, Richy.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, both ATI and NVidia softwares suffer from poor
    >> uninstall routines and, even more unfortunately, they're not very
    >> compatible with each other, either.
    >>
    >> Even when you're changing drivers on the same card, it's a good idea
    >> to have a system clean after uninstalling the old ones. When changing
    >> brand, it's a _very_ good idea: in your case, NVidea driver remnants
    >> are almost certainly responsible for your problems.
    >>
    >> You need to clean your system with a good driver cleaner: if you check
    >> round the NVidea forums, I understand you can find specific NVidea
    >> driver cleaners, although NVidea themselves don't make one. It would
    >> also be a good idea, when you've done that, to go through your C:
    >> drive removing any NVidea folders and files that might be left.
    >> Fortunately for ATI users and those switching from ATI to NVidea, ATI
    >> do produce their own cleaner - it installs with their drivers as a
    >> separate utility. or you can download it. No good for cleaning NVidea
    >> drivers, though!
    >>
    >> You'll need to clean the NVidea drivers off your system properly, then
    >> uninstall and reinstall your ATI drivers. Hopefully that should fix
    >> it. Personally, if I was going to change videocard brand, I'd start
    >> with a fresh OS install.
    >>
    >> HTH Patrick
    >
    > Cheers Patrick, i had uninstalled nvidia drivers then used registry
    > mechanic to clean up but i am going to try again but doing a manual clean
    > up and shift through registry and files for any remmants of nvidia. will
    > also look out for nvida 3rd party removal tool & will report back , some
    > how i dont feel hopeful but alas its worth a go

    Used a freeware app called driver cleaner pro from majorgeeks.com but still
    getting to stage where i hit enter after putting in password at login screen
    then freezes.

    Richy wrote:
    > Used a freeware app called driver cleaner pro from majorgeeks.com but still
    > getting to stage where i hit enter after putting in password at login screen
    > then freezes.

    Well I got all kinds of problems too after I switched from ATI 9600pro
    to GF6600GT, even if I completely cleaned up previous drivers etc. etc.
    Lock-ups, reboots and stuff.

    Finally after trying everything I thought that perhaps it's good to do
    fresh XP reinstall, because it's getting quite messy anyway. After that
    everything seem to have worked like a dream...

    > Richy wrote:
    >> Used a freeware app called driver cleaner pro from majorgeeks.com but
    >> still getting to stage where i hit enter after putting in password at
    >> login screen then freezes.

    Just something else i noticed, the xp home pc that the card worked fine on
    is using via kt266a northbridge where as my pc that it is having none of it,
    is using kt400a northbridge, both are using kt8235 southbridge, also
    compared bios settings between both pcs and still no joy, but buggered if i
    am going to format and start a fresh installation of xp, not just because of
    the hassle but i will explore every option and avenue i can find first,
    doing a fresh install of xp seems pretty extreme just to add a new graphics
    card. Using all the right tools available in xp and some third party apps i
    have yet to ever format a xp hard drive except for one which was formatted
    to fat32 when, who ever installed xp home

Radeon Graphics