Anyone seen XP locked down like this?

August 29, 2005 7:45:32 PM

I have an XP machine that eveytime it is rebooted it will delete all files
in MyDocuments, reset the home page, recreate a user account that was
deleted.

It was set up like this by a previous admin on purpose bc it is a public
used computer.

Any ideas on how he did it and how to stop it?

I need to change some settings.

More about : locked

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 29, 2005 7:45:33 PM

How To Assign a Mandatory User Profile in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307800

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"JT" wrote:

| I have an XP machine that eveytime it is rebooted it will delete all files
| in MyDocuments, reset the home page, recreate a user account that was
| deleted.
|
| It was set up like this by a previous admin on purpose bc it is a public
| used computer.
|
| Any ideas on how he did it and how to stop it?
|
| I need to change some settings.
August 29, 2005 7:45:33 PM

Its either Mandatory profile or Group Policies.

"JT" wrote:

> I have an XP machine that eveytime it is rebooted it will delete all files
> in MyDocuments, reset the home page, recreate a user account that was
> deleted.
>
> It was set up like this by a previous admin on purpose bc it is a public
> used computer.
>
> Any ideas on how he did it and how to stop it?
>
> I need to change some settings.

a b 8 Security
August 30, 2005 12:46:17 AM

"RH" <RH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Its either Mandatory profile or Group Policies.
>
> "JT" wrote:
>
>> I have an XP machine that eveytime it is rebooted it will delete all
>> files
>> in MyDocuments, reset the home page, recreate a user account that was
>> deleted.
>>
>> It was set up like this by a previous admin on purpose bc it is a public
>> used computer.
>>
>> Any ideas on how he did it and how to stop it?
>>
>> I need to change some settings.

Could also be some 3rd party software like DeepFreeze ...
http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

Incidentally Microsoft is cooking up something similar
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default...

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

"JT" <jermike00@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an XP machine that eveytime it is rebooted it will delete all files
>in MyDocuments, reset the home page, recreate a user account that was
>deleted.
>
> It was set up like this by a previous admin on purpose bc it is a public
> used computer.
>
> Any ideas on how he did it and how to stop it?
>
> I need to change some settings.

Unless you have full documentation of the steps taken to "lock" the machine
down - you might as well just reinstall the OS to the machine as a clean
install. That way you are guaranteed to have a clean machine.

--

Regards,

Mike
--