jeff

Checking my even viewer I find under system the following item:

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network
Card with network address 000F664B0A52. The IP address being used is
169.254.225.144.

What does this mean? Should I be concerned?

--

Jeff
Jeff@falsepart.com

The request timed out. Who knows why. I see this error all the time. It's
like a busy signal on the telephone, it has to be tried again until a
connection is made.

[[The DHCP Client service will continue trying to obtain a working IP
address until it succeeds.]]

IP addresses are leased for a week or so, then you get a new one.

I wouldn't worry unless you have lost your internet connection and cannot
get connected at all.

More info...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=DHCP&EvtID=1007&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.0

More info...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=DHCP&EvtID=1007&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.2

DHCP Server Errors 1007, 1008, 7023 & DNS Server Errors 407, 408
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;200462

Open a command prompt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
When the prompt opens, type:

ipconfig

Hit your Enter key.

You' see something like this, only with the numbers...

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23mYSwbNrFHA.1788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Jeff <jeff@naol.com> hunted and pecked:
> Checking my even viewer I find under system the following item:
>
> Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network
> Card with network address 000F664B0A52. The IP address being used is
> 169.254.225.144.
>
> What does this mean? Should I be concerned?
>
> --
>
> Jeff
> Jeff@falsepart.com

jeff

Thank you Wes for your very helpful answer. I was just curious and a little
worried because the ip it assigned (169.254.225.144) in the event message
was not one I recognized and is not one of my ip's. When I do ipconfig /all
it is not one of those I find.

That is really why I asked. Why would the DHCP assign an ip that is not one
of mine. Could it be an intruder?

Thank you.

Jeff

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> The request timed out. Who knows why. I see this error all the
> time. It's
> like a busy signal on the telephone, it has to be tried again until a
> connection is made.
>
> [[The DHCP Client service will continue trying to obtain a working IP
> address until it succeeds.]]
>
> IP addresses are leased for a week or so, then you get a new one.
>
> I wouldn't worry unless you have lost your internet connection and
> cannot
> get connected at all.
>
> More info...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=DHCP&EvtID=1007&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.0
>
> More info...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=DHCP&EvtID=1007&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.2
>
> DHCP Server Errors 1007, 1008, 7023 & DNS Server Errors 407, 408
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;200462
>
> Open a command prompt...
> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
> When the prompt opens, type:
>
> ipconfig
>
> Hit your Enter key.
>
> You' see something like this, only with the numbers...
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>

> In news:%23mYSwbNrFHA.1788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Jeff <jeff@naol.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Checking my even viewer I find under system the following item:
>>
>> Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the
>> Network
>> Card with network address 000F664B0A52. The IP address being used is
>> 169.254.225.144.
>>
>> What does this mean? Should I be concerned?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff
>> Jeff@falsepart.com

Malke

Jeff wrote:

> Thank you Wes for your very helpful answer. I was just curious and a
> little worried because the ip it assigned (169.254.225.144) in the
> event message was not one I recognized and is not one of my ip's. When
> I do ipconfig /all it is not one of those I find.
>
> That is really why I asked. Why would the DHCP assign an ip that is
> not one
> of mine. Could it be an intruder?

No, the 169.254.225.144 address is the default address used by the
operating system when your computer cannot get an IP address from the
DHCP server. It's not a public IP address. Don't worry about this.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

jeff

> Jeff wrote:
>
>> Thank you Wes for your very helpful answer. I was just curious and a
>> little worried because the ip it assigned (169.254.225.144) in the
>> event message was not one I recognized and is not one of my ip's. When
>> I do ipconfig /all it is not one of those I find.
>>
>> That is really why I asked. Why would the DHCP assign an ip that is
>> not one
>> of mine. Could it be an intruder?
>
> No, the 169.254.225.144 address is the default address used by the
> operating system when your computer cannot get an IP address from the
> DHCP server. It's not a public IP address. Don't worry about this.
>
> Malke
> --

Thank you. Is there somewhere that gives a list or information about the
various non-public ip addresses like this one that are used by the system
for various reasons?

Jeff

TRENDING THREADS