Diff. bewteen 64 and 128bit?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hello:

Does anyone know if there is a big difference in performance between a 64
and 128 bit video card?

IE. Sapphire 9250 128MB 64 or 128bit.

I'm thinking of getting one of these cards for my second PC which I use for
watching DVD movies, CorelDraw 9 and some video editing...no games.

Also debating getting a 9600Pro card... but I'm thinking this would only
make a big diff. for playing games.

TIA
Chris.

--
"All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
more ludicrous the analogy!"

No games? No 3D? Get the 64-bit card if it's cheaper. Then again, if that's
really the case, a $10 Ati RageXL or 3dfx Voodoo3 will serve you just as
well...

However, even for something as simple as a 3D Winamp plug-in, the 128-bit
9250 will be much faster than the 64-bit version.

"chris" <chrisNOTSPAM@NOYB.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> Does anyone know if there is a big difference in performance between a 64
> and 128 bit video card?
>
> IE. Sapphire 9250 128MB 64 or 128bit.
>
> I'm thinking of getting one of these cards for my second PC which I use
> for
> watching DVD movies, CorelDraw 9 and some video editing...no games.
>
> Also debating getting a 9600Pro card... but I'm thinking this would only
> make a big diff. for playing games.
>
> TIA
> Chris.
>
> --
> "All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
> more ludicrous the analogy!"

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's only $5 more for the 9250 128bit over
the 64 bit, so I think I'll be getting the 9250 128bit and pass on the 9600
for now...

> No games? No 3D? Get the 64-bit card if it's cheaper. Then again, if
that's
> really the case, a $10 Ati RageXL or 3dfx Voodoo3 will serve you just as
> well...
>
> However, even for something as simple as a 3D Winamp plug-in, the 128-bit
> 9250 will be much faster than the 64-bit version.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"chris" <chrisNOTSPAM@NOYB.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> Does anyone know if there is a big difference in performance between a 64
> and 128 bit video card?
>
> IE. Sapphire 9250 128MB 64 or 128bit.
>
> I'm thinking of getting one of these cards for my second PC which I use
> for
> watching DVD movies, CorelDraw 9 and some video editing...no games.

Video editing taxes the CPU more than the video card. Playing DVD's and
playing around with Corel again doesn't really push the card much either.
Still, double the video memory bandwidth for just a few more dollars is
worthwhile. I would avoid a 64bit video card. They're just cheap and nasty.