Cannot set 128bit WEP Key for Compaq W200?

Hi,

I would like to set up my Compaq W200 WiFi module (802.11b) to use 128bit encryption. However, WinXP does not allow me to enter 26 Hex characters as the network keys, it will always truncate them back to 10 characters.

Diagnostics on the W200 says that the encryption capabilities are 128bit+RC4.

Does anybody have similar problems? And maybe a solution / workaround?

Thanks,

Kai

kholthaus wrote:

> I would like to set up my Compaq W200 WiFi module (802.11b) to use 128bit encryption. However, WinXP does not allow me to enter 26 Hex characters as the network keys, it will always truncate them back to 10 characters.

What do you mean with "truncates them back"?

WinXP always shows ten dots (regardless of the length of the real
password). It also shows ten dots with WPA although a much longer key is
used (and does work).

Bye,

Andreas

--
Please remove '-reject-' from the mail address when answering by PM
(SPAM protection).

Thanks for the reply - I didn't know that it always only shows 10 dots.

But in any case, switching to 128bit encryption does not work - while 40/64 bit does... So, I guess the problem is somewhere else... *sigh*

"Anderas Klein" wrote:

> kholthaus wrote:
>
> > I would like to set up my Compaq W200 WiFi module (802.11b) to use 128bit encryption. However, WinXP does not allow me to enter 26 Hex characters as the network keys, it will always truncate them back to 10 characters.
>
> What do you mean with "truncates them back"?
>
> WinXP always shows ten dots (regardless of the length of the real
> password). It also shows ten dots with WPA although a much longer key is
> used (and does work).
>
> Bye,
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Please remove '-reject-' from the mail address when answering by PM
> (SPAM protection).
> Bitte '-reject-' aus der Mailadresse bei einer Antwort mit PM entfernen.

Hi kholthaus

I had the same problem and no one seemed to be able to answer the question, I was then talking to an HP guy on-line and a thought crossed my mind - write the 26 character key in WORD and then cut and paste it into the key field and confirm field of the dialog box. I tried it and it seemed to do the job.

Good luck.

"kholthaus" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply - I didn't know that it always only shows 10 dots.
>
> But in any case, switching to 128bit encryption does not work - while 40/64 bit does... So, I guess the problem is somewhere else... *sigh*
>
> "Anderas Klein" wrote:
>
> > kholthaus wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to set up my Compaq W200 WiFi module (802.11b) to use 128bit encryption. However, WinXP does not allow me to enter 26 Hex characters as the network keys, it will always truncate them back to 10 characters.
> >
> > What do you mean with "truncates them back"?
> >
> > WinXP always shows ten dots (regardless of the length of the real
> > password). It also shows ten dots with WPA although a much longer key is
> > used (and does work).
> >
> > Bye,
> >
> > Andreas
> >
> > --
> > Please remove '-reject-' from the mail address when answering by PM
> > (SPAM protection).
> > Bitte '-reject-' aus der Mailadresse bei einer Antwort mit PM entfernen.

Try writing the key in WORD and then cut and paste it into the necessary fields. It worked for me.

"kholthaus" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to set up my Compaq W200 WiFi module (802.11b) to use 128bit encryption. However, WinXP does not allow me to enter 26 Hex characters as the network keys, it will always truncate them back to 10 characters.
>
> Diagnostics on the W200 says that the encryption capabilities are 128bit+RC4.
>
> Does anybody have similar problems? And maybe a solution / workaround?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kai

I am having problems posting this!

Please try cutting and pasting the 26 characters from Word into the input boxes for the WEP key. It worked for me.

"kholthaus" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to set up my Compaq W200 WiFi module (802.11b) to use 128bit encryption. However, WinXP does not allow me to enter 26 Hex characters as the network keys, it will always truncate them back to 10 characters.
>
> Diagnostics on the W200 says that the encryption capabilities are 128bit+RC4.
>
> Does anybody have similar problems? And maybe a solution / workaround?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kai

Have tried twice to post you a solution, don't know what happened!

I had same problem, try writing the 26 characters in WORD and then cut and paste them into the fields, it worked for me although I do not know why you can not key them in.