Windows Services for UNIX - synch won't work

Hi there,
I'm trying to have my XP (SP2) machine try to synchronize passwords to a
Redhat Linux 7.3 machine. I have the linux machine set up, but the windows
machine doesn't even attempt to contact it. No records showing activity in
the logs on either machine show up.

On the SFU Administration screen, I have a couple of categories that seem to
apply to me. 1) User Name Mapping and 2) Password Synchronization. I'm not
using NIS, so, I have to provide passwd and group files, which I have done.
I don't know what the group file would be used for with regard to password
synchronization, but I have a simple group file there anyway.

When I select "Show User Maps" and click, "Display simple maps in Mapped
users list", I can see all three users in my passwd file mapped to the right
users in our domain. So, I'm assuming that I don't have to worry about
mappings at this point.

On to password synchronization. I generated a new key and clicked apply. I
pasted that new key into my sso.conf file on the Linux server and started the
service (obviously checking the other settings as well). I even telneted
into the 6677 port on the unix machine and got an encrypted prompt. This
test shows up in the logs on the unix machine.

I included just the computer address (host.domain.com) in the advanced
section and didn't specify port or anything else as they are default.

So, here's where it fails. I hit ctrl-alt-del and selected change password
under the one of the three uesr accounts that are mapped. Absolutely no
network traffic is initiated from the windows box. No attempt is made to try
to synchronize the password. I've gone over the settings more than once,
and, of course, rebooted a bunch of times. Nothing.

I tried to look for a password sync service that I have to start, but don't
see anything like that.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them from you.

Thanks!

Philip

Try the newsgroup
microsoft.public.servicesforunix.general

--
Regards
Mark Dormer