Fan fell off

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 11, 2005 6:51:32 AM

Hi,

I bought an ATI 9800 AGP 128MB version a little over 12 months ago for
playing games with. Owing to the peculiarities of the case my puter is
in, the card is installed upside down and I run it with the cover off.
I have never overclocked any part of my computer.

It had some difficulties running my second display temporarily. I
shrugged it off. Now the computer won't even boot. I removed
everything except the video card, to test whether any component was
causing the problem.

It turns out that the fan has fallen off my 9800 card. The heatsink's
there but it's as though a piece of plastic has broken. The fan
curiously has a bunch of electronics inside the moving part.

I haven't subjected this PC to any abuse. Is this a bit ordinary, for
the card to break like this?

More about : fan fell

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 6:51:33 AM

Bought it used or new? If used, I bet someone took the fan off at some
point
and just glued it back on. Those tiny screws holding it on are easy to
loose and
a bitch to put back in place.

Rob

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
news:D fv29l$d7b$1@nnrp.waia.asn.au...
> Hi,
>
> I bought an ATI 9800 AGP 128MB version a little over 12 months ago for
> playing games with. Owing to the peculiarities of the case my puter is
> in, the card is installed upside down and I run it with the cover off. I
> have never overclocked any part of my computer.
>
> It had some difficulties running my second display temporarily. I
> shrugged it off. Now the computer won't even boot. I removed everything
> except the video card, to test whether any component was causing the
> problem.
>
> It turns out that the fan has fallen off my 9800 card. The heatsink's
> there but it's as though a piece of plastic has broken. The fan curiously
> has a bunch of electronics inside the moving part.
>
> I haven't subjected this PC to any abuse. Is this a bit ordinary, for the
> card to break like this?
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 6:51:33 AM

If the card was bought new and still falls within the warranty period, RMA
it. Your card may be replaced with a newer model.

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
news:D fv29l$d7b$1@nnrp.waia.asn.au...
> Hi,
>
> I bought an ATI 9800 AGP 128MB version a little over 12 months ago for
> playing games with. Owing to the peculiarities of the case my puter is
> in, the card is installed upside down and I run it with the cover off. I
> have never overclocked any part of my computer.
>
> It had some difficulties running my second display temporarily. I
> shrugged it off. Now the computer won't even boot. I removed everything
> except the video card, to test whether any component was causing the
> problem.
>
> It turns out that the fan has fallen off my 9800 card. The heatsink's
> there but it's as though a piece of plastic has broken. The fan curiously
> has a bunch of electronics inside the moving part.
>
> I haven't subjected this PC to any abuse. Is this a bit ordinary, for the
> card to break like this?
December 31, 2005 3:21:38 PM

the lil fans on graphics cards dont last long, i had an asus 9800xt and that had 2 small fans on it and both of them failed after about 2 years, there are many replacement fan/heatsinks ect that can be bought, altho if the fan has fallen off completely then it may have burnt out the gpu chip so a whole new card will be needed.
!