Service Pack 2

My system crashed and so I lost everything. After I re-installed, I ran
Windows Update and brought down SP1 updates. System information shows that
I'm running SP1, build 2600. I then went to download SP2. When I go to
install SP2, it says "Download Size 0kb, 0 minutes (downloaded; ready to
install)." Which implies - I think - that it's somewhere on my system. But
it's not, at least not in any place that I can find. The little icon that
signifies an update has been brought down is not there. So when I go to
install from WinUpdate, nada. Nothing happens. Can't download, can't install.
Stuck at SP1. I know this process works because I just did it on my laptop.
Any thoughts? I'm stumped.
5 answers Last reply
More about service pack

    jpas1954 wrote:
    > My system crashed and so I lost everything. After I re-installed, I
    > ran Windows Update and brought down SP1 updates. System information
    > shows that I'm running SP1, build 2600. I then went to download SP2.
    > When I go to install SP2, it says "Download Size 0kb, 0 minutes
    > (downloaded; ready to install)." Which implies - I think - that it's
    > somewhere on my system. But it's not, at least not in any place that
    > I can find. The little icon that signifies an update has been brought
    > down is not there. So when I go to install from WinUpdate, nada.
    > Nothing happens. Can't download, can't install. Stuck at SP1. I know
    > this process works because I just did it on my laptop. Any thoughts?
    > I'm stumped.

    Why'd you go through SP1? SP2 replaces SP1.

    Why not download it directly and the Full File:

    Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
    http://snipurl.com/8bqy

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    The snipurl site says, "Do not click download if you are updating just one
    computer. A smaller, more appropriate update is available on Windows Update"
    which of course if where I'm zeroed out. So. Is this a safe site to use for
    one computer?

    jpas1954 wrote:
    > The snipurl site says, "Do not click download if you are updating
    > just one computer. A smaller, more appropriate update is available on
    > Windows Update" which of course if where I'm zeroed out. So. Is this
    > a safe site to use for one computer?

    Yes.
    Very much so.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    That worked like a charm. Thanks

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > jpas1954 wrote:
    > > The snipurl site says, "Do not click download if you are updating
    > > just one computer. A smaller, more appropriate update is available on
    > > Windows Update" which of course if where I'm zeroed out. So. Is this
    > > a safe site to use for one computer?
    >
    > Yes.
    > Very much so.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Download SP2 from this website..

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    It is a large file (270mb), but it should install ok..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "jpas1954" <jpas1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My system crashed and so I lost everything. After I re-installed, I ran
    > Windows Update and brought down SP1 updates. System information shows that
    > I'm running SP1, build 2600. I then went to download SP2. When I go to
    > install SP2, it says "Download Size 0kb, 0 minutes (downloaded; ready to
    > install)." Which implies - I think - that it's somewhere on my system. But
    > it's not, at least not in any place that I can find. The little icon that
    > signifies an update has been brought down is not there. So when I go to
    > install from WinUpdate, nada. Nothing happens. Can't download, can't
    > install.
    > Stuck at SP1. I know this process works because I just did it on my
    > laptop.
    > Any thoughts? I'm stumped.

Download Windows XP