game freezes

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When I am playing any game,my computer will freeze up. The only way to
correct this is to reboot the system. I have no problems with these
hangups in any other program. Does this sound like a software problem or
hardware problem ? I have installed and reinstalled both the game and a did
full install on the operating system. My systems is shown below. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks you.

Athlon 3200+
Shuttle AN35n-Ultra motherboard
1 gig. Corsair memory
Antec 400 watt power supply
Sony SDM-HS74p LCD monitor.
XP operating system
ATI 9800 Pro video card

"Brad" <bkk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When I am playing any game,my computer will freeze up. The only way to
> correct this is to reboot the system. I have no problems with these
> hangups in any other program. Does this sound like a software problem or
> hardware problem ? I have installed and reinstalled both the game and a
> did full install on the operating system. My systems is shown below. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks you.
>
> Athlon 3200+
> Shuttle AN35n-Ultra motherboard
> 1 gig. Corsair memory
> Antec 400 watt power supply
> Sony SDM-HS74p LCD monitor.
> XP operating system
> ATI 9800 Pro video card

Not enough info to determine whether it's software or hardware related. If
it's always 3D games, maybe your video card is overheating, or it could be
the processor, or even the RAM might be timed too aggressively. Did you
re-install all the latest motherboard drivers after your OS install? Are
you overclocking anything? Are the latest drivers installed for the rest of
your hardware? At the beginning of your post, you say "any game", then you
later say that you "reinstalled the game". Is it only one program or a
number of programs?

Barry

Brad wrote:
> When I am playing any game,my computer will freeze up. The only way to
> correct this is to reboot the system. I have no problems with these
> hangups in any other program. Does this sound like a software problem or
> hardware problem ? I have installed and reinstalled both the game and a did
> full install on the operating system. My systems is shown below. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks you.
>
> Athlon 3200+
> Shuttle AN35n-Ultra motherboard
> 1 gig. Corsair memory
> Antec 400 watt power supply
> Sony SDM-HS74p LCD monitor.
> XP operating system
> ATI 9800 Pro video card

mine freezes when playing moves, dvds, watching tv etc, unless i turn
the acceleration settings right down to disable direct x. then
everything is fine. this is a 9800 pro btw. it's all very strange...

Unless i use the default drivers that came with xp, in which case its
fine. any others freeze it.

abc

"Brad" <bkk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When I am playing any game,my computer will freeze up. The only way to
> correct this is to reboot the system. I have no problems with these
> hangups in any other program. Does this sound like a software problem or
> hardware problem ? I have installed and reinstalled both the game and a
> did full install on the operating system. My systems is shown below. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks you.
>
> Athlon 3200+
> Shuttle AN35n-Ultra motherboard
> 1 gig. Corsair memory
> Antec 400 watt power supply
> Sony SDM-HS74p LCD monitor.
> XP operating system
> ATI 9800 Pro video card

Have you tried different driver versions, reducing the AGP speed to 4x, and
are the chipset drivers installed?
What are your temps like?
Maybe asking in a shuttle group might help also.