I'm writing a program that will accept a userid and password to do an
autologon after a restart using the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

DefaultUserName "your_username"
DefaultPassword "your_password"
AutoAdminLogon "1"

However, if for some reason my program doesn't run properly and remove the
userid/password when it's finished then I want to ensure that the password
can't just be read from the registry. Therefore I need to know how to do the
same thing that Tweak UI does and store an encrypted version of the password.

Any ideas?

You can't. The autologon feature expects to see a plaintext password. You're only option would be to write a custom GINA DLL for authentication that would know how to decrypt the stored password.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84365F2D-EEF9-409F-85D4-B2813F7F4C6B@microsoft.com...
> I'm writing a program that will accept a userid and password to do an
> autologon after a restart using the following registry entries:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> DefaultUserName "your_username"
> DefaultPassword "your_password"
> AutoAdminLogon "1"
>
> However, if for some reason my program doesn't run properly and remove the
> userid/password when it's finished then I want to ensure that the password
> can't just be read from the registry. Therefore I need to know how to do the
> same thing that Tweak UI does and store an encrypted version of the password.
>
> Any ideas?

Okay. Thanks.

I was hoping the Tweak stored your password in the registry but I wasn't
able to find it.

I read chapter 15 of the MS XP Registry Guide and plan on seting this up
just before the restart and including an entry for the "AutoLogonCount" of 1
so the information is automatically removed after the restart.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> You can't. The autologon feature expects to see a plaintext password. You're only option would be to write a custom GINA DLL for authentication that would know how to decrypt the stored password.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84365F2D-EEF9-409F-85D4-B2813F7F4C6B@microsoft.com...
> > I'm writing a program that will accept a userid and password to do an
> > autologon after a restart using the following registry entries:
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> >
> > DefaultUserName "your_username"
> > DefaultPassword "your_password"
> > AutoAdminLogon "1"
> >
> > However, if for some reason my program doesn't run properly and remove the
> > userid/password when it's finished then I want to ensure that the password
> > can't just be read from the registry. Therefore I need to know how to do the
> > same thing that Tweak UI does and store an encrypted version of the password.
> >
> > Any ideas?

TweakUI does store the password in the Registry, un-encrypted.

DefaultPassword

"Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B5A2991-888F-4243-B69E-9F86B7132290@microsoft.com...
> Okay. Thanks.
>
> I was hoping the Tweak stored your password in the registry but I wasn't
> able to find it.
>
> I read chapter 15 of the MS XP Registry Guide and plan on seting this up
> just before the restart and including an entry for the "AutoLogonCount" of 1
> so the information is automatically removed after the restart.
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> You can't. The autologon feature expects to see a plaintext password. You're only option would be to write a custom GINA DLL for authentication that would know how to decrypt the stored password.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84365F2D-EEF9-409F-85D4-B2813F7F4C6B@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm writing a program that will accept a userid and password to do an
>> > autologon after a restart using the following registry entries:
>> >
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>> >
>> > DefaultUserName "your_username"
>> > DefaultPassword "your_password"
>> > AutoAdminLogon "1"
>> >
>> > However, if for some reason my program doesn't run properly and remove the
>> > userid/password when it's finished then I want to ensure that the password
>> > can't just be read from the registry. Therefore I need to know how to do the
>> > same thing that Tweak UI does and store an encrypted version of the password.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

Not with my version of Tweak 2.10.0.0. I even did a search from my password
in the registry.

Could it be you've set the registry password some other way?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> TweakUI does store the password in the Registry, un-encrypted.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> DefaultPassword

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B5A2991-888F-4243-B69E-9F86B7132290@microsoft.com...
> > Okay. Thanks.
> >
> > I was hoping the Tweak stored your password in the registry but I wasn't
> > able to find it.
> >
> > I read chapter 15 of the MS XP Registry Guide and plan on seting this up
> > just before the restart and including an entry for the "AutoLogonCount" of 1
> > so the information is automatically removed after the restart.
> >
> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> You can't. The autologon feature expects to see a plaintext password. You're only option would be to write a custom GINA DLL for authentication that would know how to decrypt the stored password.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

This appears to be a bug in TweakUI. When you set the password and click Apply, its actually deleting the DefaultPassword value, instead of setting it. All other settings are applied.

"Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F2725D9-1559-43D2-8E0A-25A3247227A8@microsoft.com...

> Not with my version of Tweak 2.10.0.0. I even did a search from my password
> in the registry.
>
> Could it be you've set the registry password some other way?
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> TweakUI does store the password in the Registry, un-encrypted.
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>>
>> DefaultPassword
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B5A2991-888F-4243-B69E-9F86B7132290@microsoft.com...
>> > Okay. Thanks.
>> >
>> > I was hoping the Tweak stored your password in the registry but I wasn't
>> > able to find it.
>> >
>> > I read chapter 15 of the MS XP Registry Guide and plan on seting this up
>> > just before the restart and including an entry for the "AutoLogonCount" of 1
>> > so the information is automatically removed after the restart.

It's stored in a protected area. So does the Userpasswords2 method.

Protecting the Automatic Logon Password:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secauthn/security/protecting_the_automatic_logon_password.asp

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Not with my version of Tweak 2.10.0.0. I even did a search from my
> password
> in the registry.
>
> Could it be you've set the registry password some other way?
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> TweakUI does store the password in the Registry, un-encrypted.
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>>
>> DefaultPassword
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
>> Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:2B5A2991-888F-4243-B69E-9F86B7132290@microsoft.com...
>> > Okay. Thanks.
>> >
>> > I was hoping the Tweak stored your password in the registry but I
>> > wasn't
>> > able to find it.
>> >
>> > I read chapter 15 of the MS XP Registry Guide and plan on seting this
>> > up
>> > just before the restart and including an entry for the "AutoLogonCount"
>> > of 1
>> > so the information is automatically removed after the restart.

Thanks, Ramesh. :)

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message news:uiS9nZfrFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> It's stored in a protected area. So does the Userpasswords2 method.
>
> Protecting the Automatic Logon Password:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secauthn/security/protecting_the_automatic_logon_password.asp
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Not with my version of Tweak 2.10.0.0. I even did a search from my
>> password
>> in the registry.
>>
>> Could it be you've set the registry password some other way?
>>
>> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> TweakUI does store the password in the Registry, un-encrypted.
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>>>
>>> DefaultPassword
>>>
>>> --
>>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
>>> Display\Security
>>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>>> http://www.dougknox.com
>>> --------------------------------
>>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>>> --------------------------------
>>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>>
>>> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:2B5A2991-888F-4243-B69E-9F86B7132290@microsoft.com...

Excellent! This is the information I was looking for.

Thanks Ramesh.

Very much welcome, Doug :)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
Thanks, Ramesh. :)

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

> It's stored in a protected area. So does the Userpasswords2 method.
>
> Protecting the Automatic Logon Password:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secauthn/security/protecting_the_automatic_logon_password.asp
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
>>
>> Not with my version of Tweak 2.10.0.0. I even did a search from my
>> password
>> in the registry.
>>
>> Could it be you've set the registry password some other way?
>>
>> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> TweakUI does store the password in the Registry, un-encrypted.
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>>>
>>> DefaultPassword
>>>
>>> --
>>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
>>> Display\Security
>>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>>> http://www.dougknox.com
>>> --------------------------------
>>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>>> --------------------------------
>>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>>
>>> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:2B5A2991-888F-4243-B69E-9F86B7132290@microsoft.com...

Glad that helped, Larry.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Excellent! This is the information I was looking for.
>
> Thanks Ramesh.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> It's stored in a protected area. So does the Userpasswords2 method.
>>
>> Protecting the Automatic Logon Password:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secauthn/security/protecting_the_automatic_logon_password.asp
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >
>> > Not with my version of Tweak 2.10.0.0. I even did a search from my
>> > password
>> > in the registry.
>> >
>> > Could it be you've set the registry password some other way?

I have one more little question. I'm trying to do all this from VB .Net and
when I try to setup a reference to "advapi32.dll" it gives me this error:

A reference to c:\windows\system32\advapi32.dll could not be added. This
is not a valid assemble or COM component. ....

Do I need to use C to get this to work. I don't have C on my PC.

How do I reference

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Glad that helped, Larry.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Excellent! This is the information I was looking for.
> >
> > Thanks Ramesh.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> It's stored in a protected area. So does the Userpasswords2 method.
> >>
> >> Protecting the Automatic Logon Password:
> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secauthn/security/protecting_the_automatic_logon_password.asp
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Larry Williams" <LarryWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Larry,

I have no idea about VB .Net. Why not try this question in developer
newsgroups at MSDN?

Welcome to MSDN Discussion Groups:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/

--