new driver install ?

Hello,

Before install the new driver Catalyst 5.8 and Multimediacenter 9.08
you have to remove all the old drivers ( 5.6 and 9.061).

But when I do so the new MMC 9.08 doesn't install / work ?

- removed the Cat. 9.06
- removed the DAO
- removed the DVD decoder
- removed the Encoders
- removed the MMC

and then

- installed the Cat. 5.8
- installed the DAO (with the encoder codecz)
- installed the DVD decoder
- installed the MMC 9.08

Do I have to remove the old MMC too or ?

Thank you for your help !

Good= Bye,
Jeroen

* ATI - X800XT wonder

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:53:28 +0200, "rvn" <rvnuman@tiscali.nl> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Before install the new driver Catalyst 5.8 and Multimediacenter 9.08
>you have to remove all the old drivers ( 5.6 and 9.061).
>
>But when I do so the new MMC 9.08 doesn't install / work ?
>
>- removed the Cat. 9.06
>- removed the DAO
>- removed the DVD decoder
>- removed the Encoders
>- removed the MMC
>
>and then
>
>- installed the Cat. 5.8
>- installed the DAO (with the encoder codecz)
>- installed the DVD decoder
>- installed the MMC 9.08
>
>Do I have to remove the old MMC too or ?
>
>Thank you for your help !
>
>Good= Bye,
> Jeroen
>
>* ATI - X800XT wonder

Jeroen, do I understand from this that you uninstalled the
drivers/software in the same order as you installed them? You
uninstall them in the _opposite_ order: i.e. uninstall MMC, then DVD
encoder, then DAO (I usually reboot then, but it probably doesn't
matter), then Control Panel and finally the display drivers.

When you say "the new MMC 9.08 doesn't install / work ?" can you tell
us what the problem(s) are? I would imagine your "ATI - X800XT
wonder" is an OEM card if you're in Holland, as ATI themselves no
longer make PAL/SECAM versions of their All-in-Wonder cards. It's not
uncommon not to be able to install or run the TV/Video In app of MMC
with OEM cards; sometimes flashing the card BIOS to identify it as a
'Built by ATI' card will fix this, but not always.

Also, if you installed the all-in-one driver set (capture and display
drivers and Control Panel in one package - the "High Speed" driver)
then it will have included an 'ATI - Software Uninstall Utility' in
Add/Remove Programs. If you run that (i.e. as if you were
uninstalling it) after you've uninstalled everything else and
rebooted, it should remove a lot of the registry entries and files the
uninstall procedure fails to remove - seems to be quite effective.
Some of these remnants may be why you're having problems installing
MMC.

If you installed separate capture and display drivers and Control
Panel (the "Low Speed" set) you won't have the 'ATI - Software
Uninstall Utility' showing in Add/Remove Programs. In that case, you
can download it as the 'cat-uninstaller.exe' from the ATI site: from
the support page, click (in the right side of the page) Utilities ->
Various -> Catalyst - ATI Maintenance Utilities.

Lastly, delete the ATI folder on your C: drive that the files were
unpacked to during the install. Hopefully your new install will now
go a little better. Make sure you have DirectX 9 and Windows media
Encoder installed beforehand, as well as your chipset drivers (I guess
that goes without saying?) and .net if you want to install Control
Center rather than Control Panel - the best solution there is not to
bother with Control Center - Control Panel will do fine.

I don't understand what you mean by "Do I have to remove the old MMC
too or ?" Do you mean you had a previous version of MMC that you
never uninstalled? Not a good idea; but hopefully the 'ATI - Software
Uninstall Utility' will get it.

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

"rvn" <rvnuman@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Before install the new driver Catalyst 5.8 and Multimediacenter 9.08
> you have to remove all the old drivers ( 5.6 and 9.061).
>
> But when I do so the new MMC 9.08 doesn't install / work ?
>
> - removed the Cat. 9.06
> - removed the DAO
> - removed the DVD decoder
> - removed the Encoders
> - removed the MMC
>
> and then
>
> - installed the Cat. 5.8
> - installed the DAO (with the encoder codecz)
> - installed the DVD decoder
> - installed the MMC 9.08
>
> Do I have to remove the old MMC too or ?
>
> Thank you for your help !
>
> Good= Bye,
> Jeroen
>
> * ATI - X800XT wonder

simply uninstalling via the add/remove programs or using the softwares
uninstall utility does not remove the drivers from your system. all of your
drivers for every piece of hardware are stored in a .CAB file and sometimes
after unisntalling a driver the normal way and than rebooting windows will
look to this .CAB file and reinstall the drivers. Thus when you install new
drivers windows often times will not overwrite some of the old drivers and
this will create some problems.

I suggest using this http://www.drivercleaner.net/ tool. Make sure you read
the readme and follow it to a T and you should have no problems.

you can even use this tool to remove the windows native drivers for many old
pieces of hardware that are not even installed on your system, thus reducing
the size of the files these drivers are stored in., which are all outdated
anyhow.

Thank You Lance and Patrick for your help !

I ment with "the new MMC 9.08 doesn't install / work ?",
the new 9.08 version started installing but interrupt halfway
(if that is correct "English"). Must have something todo with
OEM ((because the pgrm doesn't recognize the card) Patrick
did know that already !)). Well, tomorrow after school I am
going back to the shop and I will ask that girl of my card has an
identity-crisis ? (it doesn't really matter, I like to see her again) :).

CU! , Jeroen

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:38:56 +0200, "rvn" <rvnuman@tiscali.nl> wrote:

>Thank You Lance and Patrick for your help !
>
>I ment with "the new MMC 9.08 doesn't install / work ?",
>the new 9.08 version started installing but interrupt halfway
>(if that is correct "English"). Must have something todo with
>OEM ((because the pgrm doesn't recognize the card) Patrick
>did know that already !)). Well, tomorrow after school I am
>going back to the shop and I will ask that girl of my card has an
>identity-crisis ? (it doesn't really matter, I like to see her again) :).
>
>CU! , Jeroen

Unfortunately, Jeroen, if the problem does lie with MMC not
recognising the card, IMHO this is planned behaviour and not a fault.
The Catalyst drivers are supposed to work with any Radeon card, 'Built
by' or OEM, but MMC is not meant necessarily to work with OEMs.

I've found that you can usually get MMC to install on OEM cards, but
the TV/Video In apps usually won't install (don't give you the option)
or, if they do, won't run, and of course you need a Catalyst CD for
the DVD Player. Kind of defeats the object of using MMC...

I have succeeded in getting MMC 8.x to install and run the Video In
app successfully with a Sapphire 9600 Pro, by editing the card BIOS to
identify it as a 'Built by ATI' card, but still couldn't get MMC
7.7.0.1 to install and run its Video In app that way. Never tried MMC
9.x that way.

Generally, the best bet with OEM cards is to use one of the many other
DVD and TV players around: I've found WinDVD and WinDVR to be the
best. Unfortunately, it seems to me that the producers of many of the
TV apps have not bothered to optimise their software for non NTSC
standards, good though they may be in other respects. I'd hate to
think they produced as poor a picture with NTSC signals as well...

There's really only one other app I found to work well with a PAL
picture, and that was Showshifter, which, unfortunately, has an
interface I found unattractive and awkward to use (I'd describe it as
'clunky'). Personally, for an OEM ATI card for use outside North
America, I'd use WinDVD and Win DVR. YMMV.

But, by all means go and chat up the girl in the shop, and good luck!
;-)

Patrick

<snip>

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

Thank You Patrick for the detailed explanation !

I got the box-version now, I didn't know before
what OEM really ment (except: without packing and
games, et cetera, et cetera ). Well I hope it will
work now properly (?).

Thank You again !

Good-Bye !, Jeroen

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:48:20 +0200, "rvn" <rvnuman@tiscali.nl> wrote:

>Thank You Patrick for the detailed explanation !
>
>I got the box-version now, I didn't know before
>what OEM really ment (except: without packing and
>games, et cetera, et cetera ). Well I hope it will
>work now properly (?).
>
>Thank You again !
>
>Good-Bye !, Jeroen

Ah, gets a little more complicated here, Jeroen!

OEM doesn't refer to whether the card is sold in a box with extras or
as a bare card with only essentials (driver CD/connectors); it refers
to whether the card was made by ATI themselves or by an OEM
manufacturer, who buys the chips from ATI and incorporates them into
their own card. The 'bare card' and boxed versions are usually called
'lite' and 'retail;' OEMs often make both. Here's Wiki's explanation
of OEM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer.

ATI only manufacture cards for the American (US, Canada and some South
American countries) market now; these are always based on the NTSC
video standards. The PAL and SECAM versions that are needed for use
in most of the world are all made by OEMs, whether boxed or lite
versions. AFAIK the last PAL/SECAM AIWs made by ATI were probably
the 9700 Pro ones.

So you may still have trouble getting MMC to install and run on your
boxed card; however, this shouldn't be so much of a problem now as you
should have other TV and DVD software included with your card.

Patrick