Spyware/Adware

I had a message that my PC is infected by Spyware/adware this morning and it
took me to PSGuard.com to install something to disinfect my PC. is it OK to
use this or should I use something else?
amy advice greatly received
--
TP
6 answers Last reply

    Technophobe wrote:
    > I had a message that my PC is infected by Spyware/adware this morning and it
    > took me to PSGuard.com to install something to disinfect my PC. is it OK to
    > use this or should I use something else?
    > amy advice greatly received

    I'm usually wary of something telling me it found something and then
    pointing to a website for a fix.
    I did a quick Google search and it seems that in some cases there is
    a malware/trojan/virus called PSGuard.
    Not sure what the connection is between that and the supposed
    anti-malware/anti-virus utility at PSGuard.com.

    If you don't already have utilities to deal with this stuff some
    of the better known are LavaSoft's Ad-Aware and
    Spybot Search and Destroy for spotting adware/malware.
    I use AVG Anti-Virus for virus detection.

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoft.de/

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

    AVG Anti-Virus
    http://www.grisoft.com/

    Though I've never tried them you can have your system scanned
    online from Symantec.
    http://www.symantec.com/index.htm

    Marc

    Marc D. Williams wrote:

    > Technophobe wrote:
    >> I had a message that my PC is infected by Spyware/adware this morning
    >> and it
    >> took me to PSGuard.com to install something to disinfect my PC. is
    >> it OK to use this or should I use something else?
    >> amy advice greatly received
    >
    > I'm usually wary of something telling me it found something and then
    > pointing to a website for a fix.
    > I did a quick Google search and it seems that in some cases there is
    > a malware/trojan/virus called PSGuard.
    > Not sure what the connection is between that and the supposed
    > anti-malware/anti-virus utility at PSGuard.com.
    >
    > If you don't already have utilities to deal with this stuff some
    > of the better known are LavaSoft's Ad-Aware and
    > Spybot Search and Destroy for spotting adware/malware.
    > I use AVG Anti-Virus for virus detection.
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.lavasoft.de/
    >
    > Spybot Search and Destroy
    > http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
    >
    > AVG Anti-Virus
    > http://www.grisoft.com/
    >
    > Though I've never tried them you can have your system scanned
    > online from Symantec.
    > http://www.symantec.com/index.htm
    >
    > Marc

    This is connected with the Smitfraud trojan. Here is a link to a thread
    regarding cleanup:

    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=252803

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "Technophobe" <Technophobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had a message that my PC is infected by Spyware/adware this morning and
    >it
    > took me to PSGuard.com to install something to disinfect my PC. is it OK
    > use this or should I use something else?
    > amy advice greatly received

    You could try our Anti Spyware product (free updated Beta version)
    see

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Technophobe" <Technophobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had a message that my PC is infected by Spyware/adware this morning and
    >it
    > took me to PSGuard.com to install something to disinfect my PC. is it OK
    > use this or should I use something else?
    > amy advice greatly received
    > --
    > TP

    thanks Mike - have done that, run a scan and removed the trojaninstell and
    PSGuard found. However despite the antipyware scan telling me there is no
    threat I still have my background screen when I log in as completely black
    with the original warning still showing. as I was doing the scan it was
    flicking between that and the "teletubby" screen image! any ideas how I
    remove the black warning page?

    Also having rebooted a couple of times each time I get a pop up telling me
    that an internet security zone change needs my approval. I click block and
    it goes but can I stop this happening in future or is it just part of the
    security check?

    thanks again for your help

    --
    TP

    "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

    > "Technophobe" <Technophobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I had a message that my PC is infected by Spyware/adware this morning and
    > >it
    > > took me to PSGuard.com to install something to disinfect my PC. is it OK
    > > use this or should I use something else?
    > > amy advice greatly received
    >
    > You could try our Anti Spyware product (free updated Beta version)
    > see
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    > rights

    > newsgroups
    >
    > "Technophobe" <Technophobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I had a message that my PC is infected by Spyware/adware this morning and
    > >it
    > > took me to PSGuard.com to install something to disinfect my PC. is it OK
    > > use this or should I use something else?
    > > amy advice greatly received
    > > --
    > > TP

    "Technophobe" <Technophobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I had a message that my PC is infected by Spyware/adware this morning and it
    >took me to PSGuard.com to install something to disinfect my PC. is it OK to
    >use this or should I use something else?
    >amy advice greatly received

    PSGuard.com is what is referred to as a rogue.

    They produce pop-up messages informing you of spyware, even if you
    don't have any, in an attempt to get you to download and install their
    software.

    Their software is spyware.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Malke wrote:
    >>Technophobe wrote:
    >>
    >>>I had a message that my PC is infected by Spyware/adware this morning
    >>>and it
    >>>took me to PSGuard.com to install something to disinfect my PC. is
    >>>it OK to use this or should I use something else?
    >>>amy advice greatly received
    >>

    > This is connected with the Smitfraud trojan. Here is a link to a thread
    > regarding cleanup:
    >
    > http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=252803
    >
    > Malke

    Thanks for the link. He's pretty detailed in his explanations.

    Marc

Security Microsoft Spyware Windows XP