Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Copy admin settings to new profile

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 12:11:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi,
Since I installed Xp on this machine I have logged on to the Admin
account.
It is there I have made all settings, mail, My Documents and so on.
I do not want to use the admin account on a daily basis.
When creating a new profile, wich I want to use on a day to day basis,
I do not want to set everything up again.

Question:
Is it possible to copy the entire profile so that it will be identical
to the one I use now but on my new account?

Please advice.

BR
Johan - Sweden


--
Johan
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:20:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Copy a User Profile:

Open System in Control Panel. On the User Profiles tab, and under Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then click Copy To.

In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, type the location for the new profile, or click Browse to select the path.
Click Change to open the Choose User dialog box, click a new user from the Names list, and then click Add. The new user name will appear in Add Name. Click OK to add the user as a new user profile on your computer.

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to copy user profiles. To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

Note: You will need to create a 3rd Administrator level account, at least temporarily. You cannot copy to/from the account you're logged into.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Johan" <Johan.1unjpq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:Johan.1unjpq@pcbanter.net...
>
> Hi,
> Since I installed Xp on this machine I have logged on to the Admin
> account.
> It is there I have made all settings, mail, My Documents and so on.
> I do not want to use the admin account on a daily basis.
> When creating a new profile, wich I want to use on a day to day basis,
> I do not want to set everything up again.
>
> Question:
> Is it possible to copy the entire profile so that it will be identical
> to the one I use now but on my new account?
>
> Please advice.
>
> BR
> Johan - Sweden
>
>
> --
> Johan
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:11:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I am having the same problem.
I tried the steps you suggested.
I created two new accounts with admin rights.
I logged off the account I want to copy and the account I want to copy too.

But when I click on the account I want to copy which is the First Admin
account...the Copy Too...button is not highlighted
The only Copy Too button highlighted is the account I want to copy too.

Can you help me??

Thanks

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Copy a User Profile:
>
> Open System in Control Panel. On the User Profiles tab, and under Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then click Copy To.
>
> In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, type the location for the new profile, or click Browse to select the path.
> Click Change to open the Choose User dialog box, click a new user from the Names list, and then click Add. The new user name will appear in Add Name. Click OK to add the user as a new user profile on your computer.
>
> Note: You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to copy user profiles. To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
>
> Note: You will need to create a 3rd Administrator level account, at least temporarily. You cannot copy to/from the account you're logged into.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Johan" <Johan.1unjpq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:Johan.1unjpq@pcbanter.net...
> >
> > Hi,
> > Since I installed Xp on this machine I have logged on to the Admin
> > account.
> > It is there I have made all settings, mail, My Documents and so on.
> > I do not want to use the admin account on a daily basis.
> > When creating a new profile, wich I want to use on a day to day basis,
> > I do not want to set everything up again.
> >
> > Question:
> > Is it possible to copy the entire profile so that it will be identical
> > to the one I use now but on my new account?
> >
> > Please advice.
> >
> > BR
> > Johan - Sweden
> >
> >
> > --
> > Johan
>
Related resources
September 5, 2005 12:13:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

macmahon85 wrote:

> I am having the same problem.
> I tried the steps you suggested.
> I created two new accounts with admin rights.
> I logged off the account I want to copy and the account I want to
> copy too.
>
> But when I click on the account I want to copy which is the First
> Admin
> account...the Copy Too...button is not highlighted
> The only Copy Too button highlighted is the account I want to copy
> too.
>
You need to log in as the new user once before you can Copy To.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:39:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

So I should create two additional Admin accounts, log into the account I
want to copy too..then log off that account and the First Admin account?

Sorry if this sounds lame...just want to make sure i am doing this right.

So after I log into the new account once, I will try this under a third
Admin account witrh the other two accounts logged off?

Thanks

"Malke" wrote:

> macmahon85 wrote:
>
> > I am having the same problem.
> > I tried the steps you suggested.
> > I created two new accounts with admin rights.
> > I logged off the account I want to copy and the account I want to
> > copy too.
> >
> > But when I click on the account I want to copy which is the First
> > Admin
> > account...the Copy Too...button is not highlighted
> > The only Copy Too button highlighted is the account I want to copy
> > too.
> >
> You need to log in as the new user once before you can Copy To.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:53:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Yes, each of the new accounts needs to be logged into, at least once. Once that's done, log into the 3rd account and copy to/from the old account and the new account you want to use.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"macmahon85" <macmahon85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EFD88DC-BF0B-4CC3-9CB1-5B475B642152@microsoft.com...
> So I should create two additional Admin accounts, log into the account I
> want to copy too..then log off that account and the First Admin account?
>
> Sorry if this sounds lame...just want to make sure i am doing this right.
>
> So after I log into the new account once, I will try this under a third
> Admin account witrh the other two accounts logged off?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> macmahon85 wrote:
>>
>> > I am having the same problem.
>> > I tried the steps you suggested.
>> > I created two new accounts with admin rights.
>> > I logged off the account I want to copy and the account I want to
>> > copy too.
>> >
>> > But when I click on the account I want to copy which is the First
>> > Admin
>> > account...the Copy Too...button is not highlighted
>> > The only Copy Too button highlighted is the account I want to copy
>> > too.
>> >
>> You need to log in as the new user once before you can Copy To.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:53:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I appreciate the help, but I guess I'm beyond help!!
I tried that. I logged into the two new accounts I created. I logged
out...and logged into them again.

But when the Admin profile is highlighted the Copy Too button is not
highlighted.

I tried it two differen ways.

I kept all three logged on as I tried it, and it did not.

Then I logged all off expecpt a third profile which was neither a Copy
Too or From.

Still..the Admin profile I want to copy too, when highlighted the Copy
Too button is grayed out.

Help!!!

Thanks

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Yes, each of the new accounts needs to be logged into, at least once. Once that's done, log into the 3rd account and copy to/from the old account and the new account you want to use.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "macmahon85" <macmahon85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EFD88DC-BF0B-4CC3-9CB1-5B475B642152@microsoft.com...
> > So I should create two additional Admin accounts, log into the account I
> > want to copy too..then log off that account and the First Admin account?
> >
> > Sorry if this sounds lame...just want to make sure i am doing this right.
> >
> > So after I log into the new account once, I will try this under a third
> > Admin account witrh the other two accounts logged off?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Malke" wrote:
> >
> >> macmahon85 wrote:
> >>
> >> > I am having the same problem.
> >> > I tried the steps you suggested.
> >> > I created two new accounts with admin rights.
> >> > I logged off the account I want to copy and the account I want to
> >> > copy too.
> >> >
> >> > But when I click on the account I want to copy which is the First
> >> > Admin
> >> > account...the Copy Too...button is not highlighted
> >> > The only Copy Too button highlighted is the account I want to copy
> >> > too.
> >> >
> >> You need to log in as the new user once before you can Copy To.
> >>
> >> Malke
> >> --
> >> Elephant Boy Computers
> >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> "Don't Panic!"
> >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >>
>
September 5, 2005 9:29:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

macmahon85 wrote:

> I appreciate the help, but I guess I'm beyond help!!
> I tried that. I logged into the two new accounts I created. I logged
> out...and logged into them again.
(snip)

That's OK, let's just go over this one more time:

You made two new accounts. Let's call them "Macmahon" and "Extra" and
you will have made both of those new accounts Computer Administrators
(not Limited). You really only want to copy the original Administrator
account files to Macmahon. So, after you made Macmahon and Extra, you
logged into Macmahon and then logged out - not switched users, but
really logged out. Now log into Extra.

Copy Files to the New User Profile

1. Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying
files to or from - this will be Extra.
2. In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the
View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide
protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
3. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C
is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the
name of the profile you want to copy user data from (the original
Administrator account).
4. Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and
subfolder in this folder, except the following files:
* Ntuser.dat
* Ntuser.dat.log
* Ntuser.ini
5. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
6. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C
is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the
name of the user profile that you created (Macmahon).
7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
8. Log off the computer, and then log on as Macmahon.

Note: You must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user
profile before you delete the old profile. For additional information
see 313055 OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are
Missing After You Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:36:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thank you very much. This does seem a little clearer to me. I will try
this tomorrow, because right now, i'm still a lil frustrated!!

I do have two other questions: on trying to do this about 6 times I think I
might have come close the last time. The My documents folder transferred,
but it did not come up autmatically. Under My Documents there was a folder
named Administraor Documents (which is what I was using soley) and in it
were all my Documents.
I was just curious as to why it didn't just transfer to My Documents
instead of having to click on another folder?

Also I understand you have to transfer your email messages and address,
but I have Comcast (cable)Internet and on several of my attempts...when I
access the Internet I can not sign on to retriev my email. Is that normal,
as far as something else that has to be transferred over?

Again I thank you and everyone else who has posted. This forum has been
very helpful and everyone has been very nice to a Techno dummy!!
"Malke" wrote:

> macmahon85 wrote:
>
> > I appreciate the help, but I guess I'm beyond help!!
> > I tried that. I logged into the two new accounts I created. I logged
> > out...and logged into them again.
> (snip)
>
> That's OK, let's just go over this one more time:
>
> You made two new accounts. Let's call them "Macmahon" and "Extra" and
> you will have made both of those new accounts Computer Administrators
> (not Limited). You really only want to copy the original Administrator
> account files to Macmahon. So, after you made Macmahon and Extra, you
> logged into Macmahon and then logged out - not switched users, but
> really logged out. Now log into Extra.
>
> Copy Files to the New User Profile
>
> 1. Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying
> files to or from - this will be Extra.
> 2. In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the
> View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide
> protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
> 3. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C
> is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the
> name of the profile you want to copy user data from (the original
> Administrator account).
> 4. Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and
> subfolder in this folder, except the following files:
> * Ntuser.dat
> * Ntuser.dat.log
> * Ntuser.ini
> 5. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
> 6. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C
> is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the
> name of the user profile that you created (Macmahon).
> 7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
> 8. Log off the computer, and then log on as Macmahon.
>
> Note: You must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user
> profile before you delete the old profile. For additional information
> see 313055 OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are
> Missing After You Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
September 5, 2005 11:26:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

macmahon85 wrote:

> Thank you very much. This does seem a little clearer to me. I will
> try this tomorrow, because right now, i'm still a lil frustrated!!
>
> I do have two other questions: on trying to do this about 6 times I
> think I
> might have come close the last time. The My documents folder
> transferred,
> but it did not come up autmatically. Under My Documents there was a
> folder
> named Administraor Documents (which is what I was using soley) and
> in it were all my Documents.
> I was just curious as to why it didn't just transfer to My Documents
> instead of having to click on another folder?
>
> Also I understand you have to transfer your email messages and
> address,
> but I have Comcast (cable)Internet and on several of my
> attempts...when I
> access the Internet I can not sign on to retriev my email. Is that
> normal, as far as something else that has to be transferred over?
>

I don't know what happened with your documents transfer, but it is
simple to just copy the files and put them where they belong. After you
make the transfer, you can go back to the Administrator's Documents
folder and delete the files. Leave the folder.

Signing on to Comcast's webmail has nothing to do with copying over the
accounts and nothing else has to be transferred over. You need to make
sure you are signing in with the master Comcast account and using the
correct password. If you have a problem with that, contact Comcast tech
support.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
!