Copy admin settings to new profile

Hi,
Since I installed Xp on this machine I have logged on to the Admin
account.
It is there I have made all settings, mail, My Documents and so on.
I do not want to use the admin account on a daily basis.
When creating a new profile, wich I want to use on a day to day basis,
I do not want to set everything up again.

Question:
Is it possible to copy the entire profile so that it will be identical
to the one I use now but on my new account?

Please advice.

BR
Johan - Sweden

--
Johan
9 answers Last reply

    Copy a User Profile:

    Open System in Control Panel. On the User Profiles tab, and under Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then click Copy To.

    In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, type the location for the new profile, or click Browse to select the path.
    Click Change to open the Choose User dialog box, click a new user from the Names list, and then click Add. The new user name will appear in Add Name. Click OK to add the user as a new user profile on your computer.

    Note: You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to copy user profiles. To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.

    Note: You will need to create a 3rd Administrator level account, at least temporarily. You cannot copy to/from the account you're logged into.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Johan" <Johan.1unjpq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:Johan.1unjpq@pcbanter.net...

    > Hi,
    > Since I installed Xp on this machine I have logged on to the Admin
    > account.
    > It is there I have made all settings, mail, My Documents and so on.
    > I do not want to use the admin account on a daily basis.
    > When creating a new profile, wich I want to use on a day to day basis,
    > I do not want to set everything up again.
    >
    > Question:
    > Is it possible to copy the entire profile so that it will be identical
    > to the one I use now but on my new account?
    >
    > Please advice.
    >
    > BR
    > Johan - Sweden
    >

    > --
    > Johan

    I am having the same problem.
    I tried the steps you suggested.
    I created two new accounts with admin rights.
    I logged off the account I want to copy and the account I want to copy too.

    But when I click on the account I want to copy which is the First Admin
    account...the Copy Too...button is not highlighted
    The only Copy Too button highlighted is the account I want to copy too.

    Can you help me??

    Thanks

    macmahon85 wrote:

    > I am having the same problem.
    > I tried the steps you suggested.
    > I created two new accounts with admin rights.
    > I logged off the account I want to copy and the account I want to
    > copy too.
    >
    > But when I click on the account I want to copy which is the First
    > Admin
    > account...the Copy Too...button is not highlighted
    > The only Copy Too button highlighted is the account I want to copy
    > too.

    You need to log in as the new user once before you can Copy To.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    So I should create two additional Admin accounts, log into the account I
    want to copy too..then log off that account and the First Admin account?

    Sorry if this sounds lame...just want to make sure i am doing this right.

    So after I log into the new account once, I will try this under a third
    Admin account witrh the other two accounts logged off?

    Thanks

    "Malke" wrote:

    > macmahon85 wrote:
    >
    > > I am having the same problem.
    > > I tried the steps you suggested.
    > > I created two new accounts with admin rights.
    > > I logged off the account I want to copy and the account I want to
    > > copy too.
    > >
    > > But when I click on the account I want to copy which is the First
    > > Admin
    > > account...the Copy Too...button is not highlighted
    > > The only Copy Too button highlighted is the account I want to copy
    > > too.
    > >
    > You need to log in as the new user once before you can Copy To.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Yes, each of the new accounts needs to be logged into, at least once. Once that's done, log into the 3rd account and copy to/from the old account and the new account you want to use.

    "macmahon85" <macmahon85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EFD88DC-BF0B-4CC3-9CB1-5B475B642152@microsoft.com...
    > So I should create two additional Admin accounts, log into the account I
    > want to copy too..then log off that account and the First Admin account?
    >
    > Sorry if this sounds lame...just want to make sure i am doing this right.
    >
    > So after I log into the new account once, I will try this under a third
    > Admin account witrh the other two accounts logged off?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> macmahon85 wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am having the same problem.
    >> > I tried the steps you suggested.
    >> > I created two new accounts with admin rights.
    >> > I logged off the account I want to copy and the account I want to
    >> > copy too.
    >> >
    >> > But when I click on the account I want to copy which is the First
    >> > Admin
    >> > account...the Copy Too...button is not highlighted
    >> > The only Copy Too button highlighted is the account I want to copy
    >> > too.
    >> >
    >> You need to log in as the new user once before you can Copy To.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I appreciate the help, but I guess I'm beyond help!!
    I tried that. I logged into the two new accounts I created. I logged
    out...and logged into them again.

    But when the Admin profile is highlighted the Copy Too button is not
    highlighted.

    I tried it two differen ways.

    I kept all three logged on as I tried it, and it did not.

    Then I logged all off expecpt a third profile which was neither a Copy
    Too or From.

    Still..the Admin profile I want to copy too, when highlighted the Copy
    Too button is grayed out.

    Help!!!

    Thanks

    macmahon85 wrote:

    > I appreciate the help, but I guess I'm beyond help!!
    > I tried that. I logged into the two new accounts I created. I logged
    > out...and logged into them again.
    (snip)

    That's OK, let's just go over this one more time:

    You made two new accounts. Let's call them "Macmahon" and "Extra" and
    you will have made both of those new accounts Computer Administrators
    (not Limited). You really only want to copy the original Administrator
    account files to Macmahon. So, after you made Macmahon and Extra, you
    logged into Macmahon and then logged out - not switched users, but
    really logged out. Now log into Extra.

    Copy Files to the New User Profile

    1. Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying
    files to or from - this will be Extra.
    2. In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the
    View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide
    protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C
    is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the
    name of the profile you want to copy user data from (the original
    Administrator account).
    4. Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and
    subfolder in this folder, except the following files:
    * Ntuser.dat
    * Ntuser.dat.log
    * Ntuser.ini
    5. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
    6. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C
    is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the
    name of the user profile that you created (Macmahon).
    7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
    8. Log off the computer, and then log on as Macmahon.

    Note: You must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user
    profile before you delete the old profile. For additional information
    see 313055 OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are
    Missing After You Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thank you very much. This does seem a little clearer to me. I will try
    this tomorrow, because right now, i'm still a lil frustrated!!

    I do have two other questions: on trying to do this about 6 times I think I
    might have come close the last time. The My documents folder transferred,
    but it did not come up autmatically. Under My Documents there was a folder
    named Administraor Documents (which is what I was using soley) and in it
    were all my Documents.
    I was just curious as to why it didn't just transfer to My Documents
    instead of having to click on another folder?

    Also I understand you have to transfer your email messages and address,
    but I have Comcast (cable)Internet and on several of my attempts...when I
    access the Internet I can not sign on to retriev my email. Is that normal,
    as far as something else that has to be transferred over?

    Again I thank you and everyone else who has posted. This forum has been
    very helpful and everyone has been very nice to a Techno dummy!!

    macmahon85 wrote:

    > Thank you very much. This does seem a little clearer to me. I will
    > try this tomorrow, because right now, i'm still a lil frustrated!!
    >
    > I do have two other questions: on trying to do this about 6 times I
    > think I
    > might have come close the last time. The My documents folder
    > transferred,
    > but it did not come up autmatically. Under My Documents there was a
    > folder
    > named Administraor Documents (which is what I was using soley) and
    > in it were all my Documents.
    > I was just curious as to why it didn't just transfer to My Documents
    > instead of having to click on another folder?
    >
    > Also I understand you have to transfer your email messages and
    > address,
    > but I have Comcast (cable)Internet and on several of my
    > attempts...when I
    > access the Internet I can not sign on to retriev my email. Is that
    > normal, as far as something else that has to be transferred over?

    I don't know what happened with your documents transfer, but it is
    simple to just copy the files and put them where they belong. After you
    make the transfer, you can go back to the Administrator's Documents
    folder and delete the files. Leave the folder.

    Signing on to Comcast's webmail has nothing to do with copying over the
    accounts and nothing else has to be transferred over. You need to make
    sure you are signing in with the master Comcast account and using the
    correct password. If you have a problem with that, contact Comcast tech
    support.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers