Help: Just installed HL2, now "Cannot connect to steam"

Last response: in Video Games
a b F Wireless
February 27, 2005 9:44:52 AM

From the little I've read so far, it seems a lot of people have had this
issue. WTF? I installed the game, went to run it, and RIGHT AWAY I get
"Cannot connect to Steam Network". No delay at all. How am I supposed to
troubleshoot this? I already bypassed my Router and I'm going straight into
my ISP (Ok, so I still have a wireless connection to my router, but the
router is in hub mode, so there's no NAT translation going on). Could it be
my wireless link? Why would this be the only game to have issues with my
wireless link?

Please help. Thanks in advance!

David
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 27, 2005 9:46:22 AM

Oops -- sorry about the multiple post. OE is acting funky on me.

David

"David C Henkemeyer" <nobody@goingnowherefast.net> wrote in message
> From the little I've read so far, it seems a lot of people have had this
> issue. WTF? I installed the game, went to run it, and RIGHT AWAY I get
> "Cannot connect to Steam Network". No delay at all. How am I supposed to
> troubleshoot this? I already bypassed my Router and I'm going straight
> into
> my ISP (Ok, so I still have a wireless connection to my router, but the
> router is in hub mode, so there's no NAT translation going on). Could it
> be
> my wireless link? Why would this be the only game to have issues with my
> wireless link?
>
> Please help. Thanks in advance!
>
> David

February 27, 2005 9:46:23 AM

Maybe the two problems are related. You might have a flakey internet
connection.

DaveL

> Oops -- sorry about the multiple post. OE is acting funky on me.
>
> David
>
> "David C Henkemeyer" <nobody@goingnowherefast.net> wrote in message
>> From the little I've read so far, it seems a lot of people have had this
>> issue. WTF? I installed the game, went to run it, and RIGHT AWAY I get
>> "Cannot connect to Steam Network". No delay at all. How am I supposed
>> troubleshoot this? I already bypassed my Router and I'm going straight
>> into
>> my ISP (Ok, so I still have a wireless connection to my router, but the
>> router is in hub mode, so there's no NAT translation going on). Could it
>> be
>> my wireless link? Why would this be the only game to have issues with my
>> wireless link?
>>
>> Please help. Thanks in advance!
>>
>> David

Related resources
February 27, 2005 9:46:24 AM

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c...**&p_li=&p_topview=1

DaveL

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Maybe the two problems are related. You might have a flakey internet
> connection.
>
> DaveL
>

> "David C Henkemeyer" <nobody@goingnowherefast.net> wrote in message
>> Oops -- sorry about the multiple post. OE is acting funky on me.
>>
>> David
>>
>> "David C Henkemeyer" <nobody@goingnowherefast.net> wrote in message
>>> From the little I've read so far, it seems a lot of people have had this
>>> issue. WTF? I installed the game, went to run it, and RIGHT AWAY I get
>>> "Cannot connect to Steam Network". No delay at all. How am I supposed
>>> troubleshoot this? I already bypassed my Router and I'm going straight
>>> into
>>> my ISP (Ok, so I still have a wireless connection to my router, but the
>>> router is in hub mode, so there's no NAT translation going on). Could
>>> it be
>>> my wireless link? Why would this be the only game to have issues with
>>> my
>>> wireless link?
>>>
>>> Please help. Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> David

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 27, 2005 7:59:46 PM

DaveL wrote:
> Maybe the two problems are related. You might have a flakey internet
> connection.

That's a well known problem with OE, it happens quite alot... best to
just use a decent messenger prog like Thunderbird :)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

All these modern celebrities are endorsing supermarket products now...
I got a pack of sausages from Tesco the other day and there was this
picture of Anthony Worral Thompson on the front. Below, it read 'prick
with a fork'.
February 27, 2005 7:59:47 PM

Huh? I have been using OE for five years now and it has never done that to
me.

DaveL

"Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
> DaveL wrote:
>> Maybe the two problems are related. You might have a flakey internet
>> connection.
>
> That's a well known problem with OE, it happens quite alot... best to just
> use a decent messenger prog like Thunderbird :)
>

> --
> Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
>
> All these modern celebrities are endorsing supermarket products now... I
> got a pack of sausages from Tesco the other day and there was this picture
> of Anthony Worral Thompson on the front. Below, it read 'prick with a
> fork'.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 27, 2005 8:34:37 PM

DaveL wrote:
> Huh? I have been using OE for five years now and it has never done
> that to me.
>
> DaveL

Me either. Some people just naturally hate OE and want to slam it whenever
possible...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 27, 2005 9:16:39 PM

After composing my original message, I hit "Send", and it came back and said
"message could not be deleted". Huh? Wha? So I tried again. Same thing.
WTF? So I tried a 3rd time. Then I finally trold myself to just check the
damn NG to see if it had been posted. It had -- 3 times.

Then I decided to try a new newsreader (I hate the fact that I use OE -- I
feel like an AOL user or something -- you know, like the guy who walks thru
the hallway with toilet paper attached to his shoe). So I downloaded Xnews.
Tried it -- hate it (it takes forever to DL all the message from the NG --
perhaps I just need to tweak the settings, but man is it slowwww).

So the point of my message is (besides allowing everyone to sleep better
knowing what my original problem was) WHAT IS A GOOD FAST NEWSREADER I CAN
USE? Thanks...

David

"Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message
> DaveL wrote:
>> Huh? I have been using OE for five years now and it has never done
>> that to me.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

> Me either. Some people just naturally hate OE and want to slam it
> whenever
> possible...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 27, 2005 9:29:23 PM

So I figured out what was wrong, and I'm still laughing at the roundheads at
Sierra/Valve for allowing this to happen. I installed the game, went to
play it, and, as I said, nothing. So I read and read and read -- newsgroup
posts, forums, even the sierra support page (which by the way, doesn't have
squat about this infamous error message). Eventually, something hinted at
the fact that there is a seperate program called "Steam" that I needed to
have installed. Well, it wasn't installed. Or, it was only partially
installed. So, I downloaded it from steampowered.com, and low and behold, I
got past the first problem, and stumbled onto a second problem! This time,
I got an error message about the steam.dll not having some entry point. So,
luckily, since I'm a SW developer, I knew that I either had a corrupt, or
out of date, DLL. So I unistalled Steam and reinstalled it. This time it
worked! Well, kindof. It brought up this "buy these games" screen, and it
had a button to register my version of HL2. Cool, I thought, I'm almost
there. Guess again. I went to enter my S/N, and I was told that I need to
first install the retail version of HL2. WHA? Huh? WTF??? I've already
installed it like 3 times, and I have the bruise on my forehead to prove it!
Ok ok ok. I'll uninstall the damn thing and reinstall it. So I did, and
about 40 minutes later, I finally got to the slow loading screen, and away I
went. What a piece of junk. Sure the game's pretty and sounds good and
Oooh, I can pick things up and throw them -- revolutionary! But besides
that, this game is the "Gigli" of computer games.

Way to go Valve. Good job. Absolutely incredulous.

Thank goodness I'm a SW developer, otherwise I'd still be installing,
uninstalling, beating my head on the table, calling support numbers that are
only open M-F 8-5, hoping someone will pick up anyway. No wonder people
hate computers. If it isn't spyware, its these installations that have no
notion of "user experience".

DCH

"David C Henkemeyer" <nobody@goingnowherefast.net> wrote in message
> From the little I've read so far, it seems a lot of people have had this
> issue. WTF? I installed the game, went to run it, and RIGHT AWAY I get
> "Cannot connect to Steam Network". No delay at all. How am I supposed to
> troubleshoot this? I already bypassed my Router and I'm going straight
> into
> my ISP (Ok, so I still have a wireless connection to my router, but the
> router is in hub mode, so there's no NAT translation going on). Could it
> be
> my wireless link? Why would this be the only game to have issues with my
> wireless link?
>
> Please help. Thanks in advance!
>
> David

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 27, 2005 9:30:28 PM

Yeah -- I tried all that, and still got nothing. :-( Luckily, late last
night, I finally figure out what was wrong (see other post). Thanks for
your help, though. :-)

David

> http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c...**&p_li=&p_topview=1
>

> DaveL
>

> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Maybe the two problems are related. You might have a flakey internet
>> connection.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "David C Henkemeyer" <nobody@goingnowherefast.net> wrote in message
>>> Oops -- sorry about the multiple post. OE is acting funky on me.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> "David C Henkemeyer" <nobody@goingnowherefast.net> wrote in message

February 27, 2005 10:22:38 PM

David C Henkemeyer wrote:

>snipped<

Strange - doesn't seem to affect non-software developers in the same
way. Perhaps you're over-qualified for installing games?

--
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are

David C Henkemeyer wrote:

> So the point of my message is (besides allowing everyone to sleep better
> knowing what my original problem was) WHAT IS A GOOD FAST NEWSREADER I CAN
> USE? Thanks...

Been using Mozilla Thunderbird for some months now. Quickly got used to
it and now much prefer it.

--
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are
fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are
fear, and surprise, and the ruthless efficiency...and an almost
fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Amongst our weapons...are fear,
surprise, ruth... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear...
I'll come in again"
February 27, 2005 10:26:22 PM

David C Henkemeyer wrote:

>snipped<

Strange - doesn't seem to affect non-software developers in the same
way. Perhaps you're over-qualified for installing games? ;-)

--
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are
fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are
fear, and surprise, and the ruthless efficiency...and an almost
fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Amongst our weapons...are fear,
surprise, ruth... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear...
I'll come in again"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 27, 2005 11:50:19 PM

"Shawk" wrote

> Strange - doesn't seem to affect non-software developers in the same way.
> Perhaps you're over-qualified for installing games? ;-)

Nahh, looks like it's possible to install HL2 without installing Steam
It's obviously a bug in the installation program

The rest of the story is called the DLL hell :-)

- Peter
!