how to change user account type?

Hi all, i need a solution to this problem asap.
All users in the company that i work for are logged in as administrators. We
use workgroup here. I want to move them off the administrator account to
maybe "Power User" account. I want that all the stuff that they have saved on
their PC and their settings etc should be copied over to the new profile.

I have created a new power user account and called it lets say "TargetUser".
I copied the "Administrator" porfile to "TargetUser". Now when i log on into
the "TargetUser" account,i can see the changes and things go tru fine. But
the changes that i make in this account (Target user) gets discarded when i
restart the machine. For example, if i have changed the desktop settings
(show my computer icon on desktop), it reverts back to the old settings. I am
not using "mandatory" profile.
Besides that we work over a Novell enviornment, and for email we use
Groupwise and Innoculate as a virus guard, they dont carry over to the new
profile.

What should i do??
2 answers Last reply
More about change user account type

    Just add the users to the Power Users group and remove them from the
    Administrators group.
    You don't need to create new profiles.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "japi_s" <japis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all, i need a solution to this problem asap.
    > All users in the company that i work for are logged in as administrators.
    > We
    > use workgroup here. I want to move them off the administrator account to
    > maybe "Power User" account. I want that all the stuff that they have saved
    > on
    > their PC and their settings etc should be copied over to the new profile.
    >
    > I have created a new power user account and called it lets say
    > "TargetUser".
    > I copied the "Administrator" porfile to "TargetUser". Now when i log on
    > into
    > the "TargetUser" account,i can see the changes and things go tru fine. But
    > the changes that i make in this account (Target user) gets discarded when
    > restart the machine. For example, if i have changed the desktop settings
    > (show my computer icon on desktop), it reverts back to the old settings. I
    > am
    > not using "mandatory" profile.
    > Besides that we work over a Novell enviornment, and for email we use
    > Groupwise and Innoculate as a virus guard, they dont carry over to the new
    > profile.
    >
    > What should i do??

    Mark, the users are logged in as Administrator... they are logging in with
    the default account the administrator account that is built-in, and we cant
    change the default built-in administrator account... :-(

    "Mark Dormer" wrote:

    > Just add the users to the Power Users group and remove them from the
    > Administrators group.
    > You don't need to create new profiles.
    >
    > Regards
    > Mark Dormer
    >
    > "japi_s" <japis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all, i need a solution to this problem asap.
    > > All users in the company that i work for are logged in as administrators.
    > > We
    > > use workgroup here. I want to move them off the administrator account to
    > > maybe "Power User" account. I want that all the stuff that they have saved
    > > on
    > > their PC and their settings etc should be copied over to the new profile.
    > >
    > > I have created a new power user account and called it lets say
    > > "TargetUser".
    > > I copied the "Administrator" porfile to "TargetUser". Now when i log on
    > > into
    > > the "TargetUser" account,i can see the changes and things go tru fine. But
    > > the changes that i make in this account (Target user) gets discarded when
    > > restart the machine. For example, if i have changed the desktop settings
    > > (show my computer icon on desktop), it reverts back to the old settings. I
    > > am
    > > not using "mandatory" profile.
    > > Besides that we work over a Novell enviornment, and for email we use
    > > Groupwise and Innoculate as a virus guard, they dont carry over to the new
    > > profile.
    > >
    > > What should i do??

Windows XP