how to change user account type?

September 1, 2005 12:25:18 AM

Hi all, i need a solution to this problem asap.
All users in the company that i work for are logged in as administrators. We
use workgroup here. I want to move them off the administrator account to
maybe "Power User" account. I want that all the stuff that they have saved on
their PC and their settings etc should be copied over to the new profile.

I have created a new power user account and called it lets say "TargetUser".
I copied the "Administrator" porfile to "TargetUser". Now when i log on into
the "TargetUser" account,i can see the changes and things go tru fine. But
the changes that i make in this account (Target user) gets discarded when i
restart the machine. For example, if i have changed the desktop settings
(show my computer icon on desktop), it reverts back to the old settings. I am
not using "mandatory" profile.
Besides that we work over a Novell enviornment, and for email we use
Groupwise and Innoculate as a virus guard, they dont carry over to the new
profile.

What should i do??
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:40:48 AM

Just add the users to the Power Users group and remove them from the
Administrators group.
You don't need to create new profiles.

Regards
Mark Dormer

"japi_s" <japis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, i need a solution to this problem asap.
> All users in the company that i work for are logged in as administrators.
> We
> use workgroup here. I want to move them off the administrator account to
> maybe "Power User" account. I want that all the stuff that they have saved
> on
> their PC and their settings etc should be copied over to the new profile.
>
> I have created a new power user account and called it lets say
> "TargetUser".
> I copied the "Administrator" porfile to "TargetUser". Now when i log on
> into
> the "TargetUser" account,i can see the changes and things go tru fine. But
> the changes that i make in this account (Target user) gets discarded when
> restart the machine. For example, if i have changed the desktop settings
> (show my computer icon on desktop), it reverts back to the old settings. I
> am
> not using "mandatory" profile.
> Besides that we work over a Novell enviornment, and for email we use
> Groupwise and Innoculate as a virus guard, they dont carry over to the new
> profile.
>
> What should i do??

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:40:49 AM

Mark, the users are logged in as Administrator... they are logging in with
the default account the administrator account that is built-in, and we cant
change the default built-in administrator account... :-(

!