ATI equivalent to 6800 Ultra

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2005 12:40:31 AM

Hi,

I am the current proud owner of a ATI 9500 Pro that has been the
longest running card in my systems. It's time to pass it on to the
wife. I was intending to go back to nvidia but would rather not. I'm
not concerned about Doom 3 framerates (much).

What's the current ATI competition in this class? I'd rather not spend
more than $275 in 3 months which is when I plan to buy.

Thanks,

Sam Owens
September 18, 2005 12:40:32 AM

In article <34hpi19tlsru6jn3a8fe1chuj9h3r99eo8@4ax.com>, sam@sam.com
says...
> Hi,
>
> I am the current proud owner of a ATI 9500 Pro that has been the
> longest running card in my systems. It's time to pass it on to the
> wife. I was intending to go back to nvidia but would rather not. I'm
> not concerned about Doom 3 framerates (much).
>
> What's the current ATI competition in this class? I'd rather not spend
> more than $275 in 3 months which is when I plan to buy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam Owens

Ati Radeon X800XL if $275 is your max price limit.

Bill
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:52:15 AM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:16:42 -0700, Bill
<spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote:

>In article <34hpi19tlsru6jn3a8fe1chuj9h3r99eo8@4ax.com>, sam@sam.com
>says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am the current proud owner of a ATI 9500 Pro that has been the
>> longest running card in my systems. It's time to pass it on to the
>> wife. I was intending to go back to nvidia but would rather not. I'm
>> not concerned about Doom 3 framerates (much).
>>
>> What's the current ATI competition in this class? I'd rather not spend
>> more than $275 in 3 months which is when I plan to buy.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sam Owens
>>

> Ati Radeon X800XL if $275 is your max price limit.

Only nVidia 78xx, or the new series of R5xx if you want
DX9.0c.

John Lewis

> Bill
Related resources
September 18, 2005 7:52:16 AM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:52:15 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:16:42 -0700, Bill
><spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <34hpi19tlsru6jn3a8fe1chuj9h3r99eo8@4ax.com>, sam@sam.com
>>says...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am the current proud owner of a ATI 9500 Pro that has been the
>>> longest running card in my systems. It's time to pass it on to the
>>> wife. I was intending to go back to nvidia but would rather not. I'm
>>> not concerned about Doom 3 framerates (much).
>>>
>>> What's the current ATI competition in this class? I'd rather not spend
>>> more than $275 in 3 months which is when I plan to buy.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sam Owens
>>>

>> Ati Radeon X800XL if $275 is your max price limit.
>>

>Only nVidia 78xx, or the new series of R5xx if you want
>DX9.0c.
>
>John Lewis
>
>> Bill

DX 9 has been supported since 9700 or earlier get you're sht straight
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 3:07:14 PM

Are you keeping your AGP M/B? There's a good chance the next-gen won't be
available in AGP, so wait 3 months and see what becomes available for $275.
X800XL is nice, though X800XT would be better.

BTW, with current drivers, the X850XT-PE gets about equal framerates in
Doom3 as the 6800U.

"sam owens" <sam@sam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am the current proud owner of a ATI 9500 Pro that has been the
> longest running card in my systems. It's time to pass it on to the
> wife. I was intending to go back to nvidia but would rather not. I'm
> not concerned about Doom 3 framerates (much).
>
> What's the current ATI competition in this class? I'd rather not spend
> more than $275 in 3 months which is when I plan to buy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam Owens
September 18, 2005 3:19:22 PM

bandit wrote:
> DX 9 has been supported since 9700 or earlier get you're sht straight

He meant DX9.0 C which means full support of SM 3.0 and HDR...

--
Glitches are BAD!!!
Beware...

ICQ:275699535
September 18, 2005 3:19:23 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:19:22 +0200, Glitch <glitch_120@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>bandit wrote:
>> DX 9 has been supported since 9700 or earlier get you're sht straight
>
>He meant DX9.0 C which means full support of SM 3.0 and HDR...

Oh ok :)
September 18, 2005 4:34:18 PM

"Bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
> In article <34hpi19tlsru6jn3a8fe1chuj9h3r99eo8@4ax.com>, sam@sam.com
> says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am the current proud owner of a ATI 9500 Pro that has been the
>> longest running card in my systems. It's time to pass it on to the
>> wife. I was intending to go back to nvidia but would rather not. I'm
>> not concerned about Doom 3 framerates (much).
>>
>> What's the current ATI competition in this class? I'd rather not spend
>> more than $275 in 3 months which is when I plan to buy.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sam Owens
>>

> Ati Radeon X800XL if $275 is your max price limit.
>
> Bill

ATI's current top cards X800/850XT PE's will be cheaper than that in 3
months. Prices will fall when the new gen comes out next month. Consider
whether you want SM3.0 etc though in which case you'll want something newer.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 5:47:26 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:34:18 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
>> In article <34hpi19tlsru6jn3a8fe1chuj9h3r99eo8@4ax.com>, sam@sam.com
>> says...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am the current proud owner of a ATI 9500 Pro that has been the
>>> longest running card in my systems. It's time to pass it on to the
>>> wife. I was intending to go back to nvidia but would rather not. I'm
>>> not concerned about Doom 3 framerates (much).
>>>
>>> What's the current ATI competition in this class? I'd rather not spend
>>> more than $275 in 3 months which is when I plan to buy.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sam Owens
>>>

>> Ati Radeon X800XL if $275 is your max price limit.
>>
>> Bill
>
>ATI's current top cards X800/850XT PE's will be cheaper than that in 3
>months. Prices will fall when the new gen comes out next month. Consider
>whether you want SM3.0 etc though in which case you'll want something newer.

As Shawk suggests, probably best to make your decision in 3 months.
Nobody really knows what prices will be like then, unless - any
videocard psychics here? ;-)

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 5:54:21 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:07:14 -0400, "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Yes I do not intend to upgrade my MSI K8T Neo FISR mobo. Perhaps in a
year or more but my AMD 64 3000 is still a marvelous cpu.

>Are you keeping your AGP M/B? There's a good chance the next-gen won't be
>available in AGP, so wait 3 months and see what becomes available for $275.
>X800XL is nice, though X800XT would be better.
>
>BTW, with current drivers, the X850XT-PE gets about equal framerates in
>Doom3 as the 6800U.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 5:56:01 PM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:40:31 -0500, sam owens <sam@sam.com> wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. You guys saved me a lot of work and I
really appreciate that.

Peace,

Sam
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:11:50 PM

"sam owens" <sam@sam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am the current proud owner of a ATI 9500 Pro that has been the
> longest running card in my systems. It's time to pass it on to the
> wife. I was intending to go back to nvidia but would rather not. I'm
> not concerned about Doom 3 framerates (much).
>
> What's the current ATI competition in this class? I'd rather not spend
> more than $275 in 3 months which is when I plan to buy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam Owens

I have always used Nvidia cards with few exceptions over the years. I needed
a high-end PCI Express card and could not find the 6800U locally and got an
X850XT PE PCI-E and have been quite pleased. This was several months ago,
not long after it's release. I have never had any issues at all with the
card. It does everything I need to do and much more. I use it mainly for
flight sims and racing sims and it is great.

Ed
September 18, 2005 11:48:36 PM

> Are you keeping your AGP M/B? There's a good chance the next-gen won't be
> available in AGP, so wait 3 months and see what becomes available for
> $275. X800XL is nice, though X800XT would be better.
>
> BTW, with current drivers, the X850XT-PE gets about equal framerates in
> Doom3 as the 6800U.

That's the reason I went for my ASUS AGP X800XT PE TVD recently - no
intention of upgrading mobo and CPU for at least another year, great
performance and of course the price was the other good reason - £190
($340USD) from overclockers UK. Prices on these cards have already started
to drop and will continue to go downwards until they're in your price range.
A few months ago this card was just a dream for me - at least twice that
price.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:18:18 AM

FYI patrickp ATI has announced previously that they will release FUDO
cards for AGP in the future, although AGP models may not be avaiable
immediately at launch in Oct (?) 2005.

Granted though if you're looking at 7800s or FUDOs you'll probably want
to get a PCI-E motherboard to prevent yourself from being contstrained.
But given the launch prices will be around $600-700 I doubt people are
going to replace their $300 motherboard/CPU combos just to get PCI-E.

Personally the only thing that FUDO is making me excited for is the
fact that X850s will eventually be 'reasonable' in cost to me. ;)
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:32:38 PM

On 20 Sep 2005 07:18:18 -0700, burnsdavidj@yahoo.com wrote:

>FYI patrickp ATI has announced previously that they will release FUDO
>cards for AGP in the future, although AGP models may not be avaiable
>immediately at launch in Oct (?) 2005.
>
>Granted though if you're looking at 7800s or FUDOs you'll probably want
>to get a PCI-E motherboard to prevent yourself from being contstrained.
>But given the launch prices will be around $600-700 I doubt people are
>going to replace their $300 motherboard/CPU combos just to get PCI-E.
>
>Personally the only thing that FUDO is making me excited for is the
>fact that X850s will eventually be 'reasonable' in cost to me. ;)

Me? Why are you telling me this?

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 10:11:07 PM

<burnsdavidj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> FYI patrickp ATI has announced previously that they will release FUDO
> cards for AGP in the future, although AGP models may not be avaiable
> immediately at launch in Oct (?) 2005.

Back when the X800 series launched, AGP versions were available from the
onset, but supply was always scarce because 90% of the cards got funnelled
to OEMs. This is not gonna change, unless ATi can get very good yields from
TSMC.

> Granted though if you're looking at 7800s or FUDOs you'll probably want
> to get a PCI-E motherboard to prevent yourself from being contstrained.
> But given the launch prices will be around $600-700 I doubt people are
> going to replace their $300 motherboard/CPU combos just to get PCI-E.

A motherboard replacement may be all that's needed for some people (e.g.
high-end AMD64 owners). Besides, what's another $300 when you are already
spending $700? :-)

> Personally the only thing that FUDO is making me excited for is the
> fact that X850s will eventually be 'reasonable' in cost to me. ;)

That, or they'll stay expensive until discontinuation, while a midrange R5xx
card will come out with similar performance for cheaper cost. Think 6600GT
replacing the FX5900.