Creating a Custom Users Group in Windows XP Professional

Hi Community,

I would like to know if I am able to create a custom client for my
organisations
workstations. I need a client whose users rights can be customised and fall
somewhere in between that of the standard Windows Power User, and the
Administrator.

My environment consists on a Domain, however, our clients work within a
Workgroup that is within this Domain. I would like to set them up as a "Super
Power User" if you will, giving them the rights to add printers, devices, USB
devices, and also change their I.P Address ranges when moving from office to
office.

Can this be done?

Many thanks in advance.
--
Many thanks,

Andrew.

In GPEDIT, you should be able to go to Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, User rights assignments and modify the Load and unload device driver setting to allow Power Users, or your custom group to this policy.

Depending on the USB device, even a Standard user can install thumb drives and the like, as long as the USB Mass Storage drivers are present on the hard drive.

For changes to the network connection properties, make the users members of the Netork Configuration Operators group. This will give them control over the LAN connection.

The biggest issue with a custom group is ensuring that you give them access to everything they need access to.

For your setup, you may simply want to look into making the users in question Local Administrators. They can do what they need on their computer, but would still be Power Users to the rest of the domain. The Local Administrator privilege does not move to different computers, it is only effective on their computer.
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Andrew Tucker" <AndrewTucker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36E5780F-0AB6-41EA-9E1B-850710F398C6@microsoft.com...
> Hi Community,
>
> I would like to know if I am able to create a custom client for my
> organisations
> workstations. I need a client whose users rights can be customised and fall
> somewhere in between that of the standard Windows Power User, and the
> Administrator.
>
> My environment consists on a Domain, however, our clients work within a
> Workgroup that is within this Domain. I would like to set them up as a "Super
> Power User" if you will, giving them the rights to add printers, devices, USB
> devices, and also change their I.P Address ranges when moving from office to
> office.
>
> Can this be done?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> --