hammerhead

Hi All,

I haven't played HL2 since Thanksgiving, when I couldn't get to the end of
the game. I got as far as getting in the big tower, following the bad guy
up to the top and from there I'm basically stuck. He speaks to me and all,
but I don't seem to be able to affect him in any way. Eventually, I die and
respawn at the top of the building. to begin the sequence all over again.
How do I finish this game?!!?

"Hammerhead" <hammrhed@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I haven't played HL2 since Thanksgiving, when I couldn't get to the
> end of the game. I got as far as getting in the big tower, following
> the bad guy up to the top and from there I'm basically stuck. He
> speaks to me and all, but I don't seem to be able to affect him in
> any way. Eventually, I die and respawn at the top of the building.
> to begin the sequence all over again. How do I finish this game?!!?

spoiler!

..

..

..

..

..

..

..

You have to figure out how to get to the top (see anything moving up and
down?) then stop the mad doctor breen from escaping in that teleporter.
Got the blue gravgun? Remember that Alyx had you use it to disable some
generators? See anything similar around that teleporter? I don't
really want to be so obtuse, but you'd want SOME fun of discovery,
right?
McG.

Okilee Dokilee wrote:
> "Hammerhead" <hammrhed@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > OK...I tried all of that previously. I can pull the energy orbs
from the
> > power streams and launch them at Breen, with seemingly no effect.

> You don't hit him. You hit the top of the shaft he's moving up. There
are
> things rotating there. Fire at them.

The quicker you get up the tower, the more time you have at the top.
Use the orbs to destroy the rotating things at the top. You're trying
to hit the bit in the middle, not the rotating shields, but tbh I just
fired as many shots as I could in the general direction and didn't
worry too much about aiming precisely. You'll probably also want to
direct a couple of shots at one or both of the gunships to make them go
away.

It took me a while to figure this bit out - I spent ages shooting the
big "petals" that are folded down against the walls of the tower. they
flap when you hit them and if you hit them right they will eventually
fall off. I thought that was the way to go and thought the level was
bloody hard. Eventually I tried shooting other stuff and accidentally
found out what to do. Reminded me of Nihilanth - how the hell are you
supposed to know how to kill him? There are zero clues about what to do.

hammerhead

OK...I tried all of that previously. I can pull the energy orbs from the
power streams and launch them at Breen, with seemingly no effect. I thought
perhaps I had a buggy copy of HL2. I'll keep trying, but any idea how many
times do I have to hit him?..or do I need to disable the generators?
Thanks...

JHK

nutt wrote:
> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Okilee Dokilee wrote:
>
> > > You don't hit him. You hit the top of the shaft he's moving up.
There
> > are
> > > things rotating there. Fire at them.
> >
> > The quicker you get up the tower, the more time you have at the
top.
> > Use the orbs to destroy the rotating things at the top. You're
trying
> > to hit the bit in the middle, not the rotating shields,
>
> Really? That's news to me, after finishing it about 10 times. When
> you first destroy a shield, Alyx says "Yes!", to tell you you're
doing
> it right. I thought all the shields had to be down before the final
> shot destroys the portal.

You could be right. I was firing madly. I didn't even see Breen, I just
shot at the middle bit until it blew up.

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote
> Eventually I tried shooting other stuff and accidentally
> found out what to do. Reminded me of Nihilanth - how the hell
> are you supposed to know how to kill him? There are zero clues
> about what to do.

It's a Frustration/ Elation relationship... You get so frustrated about not
getting anywhere that you start shooting random things... and are elated
when you realise that one of 'em actually does something.
Reminds me of my early days with Mrs. Firewater. The neighbours weren't too
elated when I shot their cat, though;)
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

hammerhead

Thanks to all! I did finally figure it out (just prior to reading the
replies...LOL)! I can't believe that after spending the entire Thanksgiving
Day weekend playing the game, I couldn't figure it out. Oh well, I enjoyed
the ending sequence...

JHK
"David Firewater" <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote
>> Eventually I tried shooting other stuff and accidentally
>> found out what to do. Reminded me of Nihilanth - how the hell
>> are you supposed to know how to kill him? There are zero clues
>> about what to do.
>
> It's a Frustration/ Elation relationship... You get so frustrated about
> not
> getting anywhere that you start shooting random things... and are elated
> when you realise that one of 'em actually does something.
> Reminds me of my early days with Mrs. Firewater. The neighbours weren't
> too
> elated when I shot their cat, though;)
> --
> David
> davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Okilee Dokilee wrote:

> > You don't hit him. You hit the top of the shaft he's moving up. There
> are
> > things rotating there. Fire at them.
>
> The quicker you get up the tower, the more time you have at the top.
> Use the orbs to destroy the rotating things at the top. You're trying
> to hit the bit in the middle, not the rotating shields,

Really? That's news to me, after finishing it about 10 times. When
you first destroy a shield, Alyx says "Yes!", to tell you you're doing
it right. I thought all the shields had to be down before the final
shot destroys the portal.

No no no,

While riding the swirling platforms above him, whip it out a start wizzing
on his head... the whole thing short circuits and he gets fried (but so does
your wiener).

nutt wrote:
> I thought all the shields had to be down before the final
> shot destroys the portal.

Incorrect. The shields certainly do protect the portal, but if you take
down a few shields and manage to slip an energy orb through the gap, as
long as it hits the portal, that's all that matters. At least that's how
I can do it; taking down every single shield makes it a lot easier but
also takes time.

> Thanks to all! I did finally figure it out (just prior to reading the
> replies...LOL)! I can't believe that after spending the entire
> Thanksgiving Day weekend playing the game, I couldn't figure it out.
> Oh well, I enjoyed the ending sequence...
>
> JHK
snip

Congrats! Glad you did get to enjoy that!
\McG.

> nutt wrote:
>> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> The quicker you get up the tower, the more time you have at the top.
>>> Use the orbs to destroy the rotating things at the top. You're
>>> trying to hit the bit in the middle, not the rotating shields,
>>
>> Really? That's news to me, after finishing it about 10 times. When
>> you first destroy a shield, Alyx says "Yes!", to tell you you're
>> doing it right. I thought all the shields had to be down before the
>> final shot destroys the portal.
>
> You could be right. I was firing madly. I didn't even see Breen, I
> just shot at the middle bit until it blew up.

Me, I saw that shooting the shield flaps wasn't getting much of anywhere
after the 3rd time of running out of time.... so I started shooting
those "flux capacitor" thingies and then Breen starts hollering .... so
I knew I was on to something there :)
McG.

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> nutt wrote:
>> I thought all the shields had to be down before the final
>> shot destroys the portal.
>
> Incorrect. The shields certainly do protect the portal, but if you
> take down a few shields and manage to slip an energy orb through the
> gap, as long as it hits the portal, that's all that matters. At least
> that's how I can do it; taking down every single shield makes it a
> lot easier but also takes time.

That's true and they sure don't give you much of that! those 'rotors'
or 'flux capacitor' things get Breen to hollering at ya, and they worked
for me a few times. Hey, after Game Over for taking too long, I had to
succeed a few times to make up for it ;) Much pleasure in it :)
McG.

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> nutt wrote:
> > I thought all the shields had to be down before the final
> > shot destroys the portal.
>
> Incorrect. The shields certainly do protect the portal, but if you take
> down a few shields and manage to slip an energy orb through the gap, as
> long as it hits the portal, that's all that matters. At least that's how
> I can do it; taking down every single shield makes it a lot easier but
> also takes time.

Now that I think of it, I have seen it blow with a shield or two
remaining. It must be that the portal has a certain amount of
"health," so that it is nearly impossible to destroy until the shields
are gone as well.