Accessing other user accounts

September 2, 2005 12:37:08 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so I apologise if this request if
off-topic.

One of our home computers runs Windows XP (SP2) and has 3 user accounts.
Mine has administrator rights. Unfortunately, my daughter's has to have
administrator rights to get many of her programs to run.

She has an annoying habit of changing her password, which means I can't
access her account to run anti-spyware software. I can see from my router
log that some tracking sites have been accessed on this computer, but am
powerless to do anything about it without asking her for the password. I
know she will tell me what it is so I can run the routines, but the next
time I try, she's changed it again.

Is there any way I can access her account, without deleting the password?
Is there any way I can stop her from changing her password?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

--
Ian
--

In news:UDJRe.4900$w4.1970@newsfe5-win.ntli.net,
Ian <me@me.com> had this to say:

> I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so I apologise if this
> request if off-topic.
>
> One of our home computers runs Windows XP (SP2) and has 3 user
> accounts. Mine has administrator rights. Unfortunately, my daughter's
> has to have administrator rights to get many of her programs to run.
>
> She has an annoying habit of changing her password, which means I
> can't access her account to run anti-spyware software. I can see from
> my router log that some tracking sites have been accessed on this
> computer, but am powerless to do anything about it without asking her
> for the password. I know she will tell me what it is so I can run the
> routines, but the next time I try, she's changed it again.
>
> Is there any way I can access her account, without deleting the
> password? Is there any way I can stop her from changing her password?
>
> Many thanks for any advice you can offer.
>
> --
> Ian

Start > run > type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes > hit enter >
click advanced tab > advanced button > users > double click the account >
and tick the box saying "User can not change password." Keep in mind that if
she's an administrator that she can reverse this as well as do the same to
your account. You might try the power user settings. Doing that should
prevent her from doing the reverse to you.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
September 3, 2005 9:54:08 PM

Thanks for the reposnse, Galen. This doesn't work. I can't add my daughter
to the Power Users group because I get a reaponse when I try saying "The
group name could not be found", even though the option Standard User is
indicated as being Power Users Group. I forgot to mention this is the Home
edition.

Any ideas why this is happening?

--
Ian
news:o pe6Xm7rFHA.308@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:UDJRe.4900$w4.1970@newsfe5-win.ntli.net,
> Ian <me@me.com> had this to say:

>> I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so I apologise if this
>> request if off-topic.
>>
>> One of our home computers runs Windows XP (SP2) and has 3 user
>> accounts. Mine has administrator rights. Unfortunately, my daughter's
>> has to have administrator rights to get many of her programs to run.
>>
>> She has an annoying habit of changing her password, which means I
>> can't access her account to run anti-spyware software. I can see from
>> my router log that some tracking sites have been accessed on this
>> computer, but am powerless to do anything about it without asking her
>> for the password. I know she will tell me what it is so I can run the
>> routines, but the next time I try, she's changed it again.
>>
>> Is there any way I can access her account, without deleting the
>> password? Is there any way I can stop her from changing her password?
>>
>> Many thanks for any advice you can offer.
>>
>> --
>> Ian
>
> Start > run > type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes > hit enter
> > click advanced tab > advanced button > users > double click the account
> > and tick the box saying "User can not change password." Keep in mind
> that if she's an administrator that she can reverse this as well as do the
> same to your account. You might try the power user settings. Doing that
> should prevent her from doing the reverse to you.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
> trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Related resources
September 4, 2005 12:23:35 AM

In news:4rlSe.228$Y06.27@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
Ian <me@me.com> had this to say:

> Thanks for the reposnse, Galen. This doesn't work. I can't add my
> daughter to the Power Users group because I get a reaponse when I try
> saying "The group name could not be found", even though the option
> Standard User is indicated as being Power Users Group. I forgot to
> mention this is the Home edition.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening?
>
> --
> Ian
>> In news:UDJRe.4900$w4.1970@newsfe5-win.ntli.net,
>> Ian <me@me.com> had this to say:

>>> I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so I apologise if this
>>> request if off-topic.
>>>
>>> One of our home computers runs Windows XP (SP2) and has 3 user
>>> accounts. Mine has administrator rights. Unfortunately, my
>>> daughter's has to have administrator rights to get many of her
>>> programs to run. She has an annoying habit of changing her password,
>>> which means I
>>> can't access her account to run anti-spyware software. I can see
>>> from my router log that some tracking sites have been accessed on
>>> this computer, but am powerless to do anything about it without
>>> asking her for the password. I know she will tell me what it is so
>>> I can run the routines, but the next time I try, she's changed it
>>> again. Is there any way I can access her account, without deleting the
>>> password? Is there any way I can stop her from changing her
>>> password? Many thanks for any advice you can offer.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ian
>>
>> Start > run > type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes > hit
>> enter > click advanced tab > advanced button > users > double click
>> the account > and tick the box saying "User can not change
>> password." Keep in mind that if she's an administrator that she can
>> reverse this as well as do the same to your account. You might try
>> the power user settings. Doing that should prevent her from doing
>> the reverse to you. Galen
>> --
>>
>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
>> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
>> all." Sherlock Holmes

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to skip that step as I don't know of a way
to get the power users to show up on XP Home Edition. I'm not even sure it's
available for Home Edition as it was more for legacy reasons (Windows NT
era) than anything else. You'll have to stick with the first change I
suppose and hope she's never able to do so to you too. <g>

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
September 4, 2005 12:10:25 PM

news:o %23cjmbOsFHA.3240@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:4rlSe.228$Y06.27@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
>>>
> I'm pretty sure that you'll have to skip that step as I don't know of a
> way to get the power users to show up on XP Home Edition. I'm not even
> sure it's available for Home Edition as it was more for legacy reasons
> (Windows NT era) than anything else. You'll have to stick with the first
> change I suppose and hope she's never able to do so to you too. <g>

To make matters worse, she discovered that, after my attempt to change her
account, the account doesn't show up on the startup screen :-( Looks like a
restore point is in order.

I'll go with the can't change password idea, and hope she doesn't discover
the method.

Thanks for the help

--
Ian