Denying Access to a folder

Hello,

I want to deny access to a folder containing data but cannot seem to add a
distribution group to the list in the Security window. This is Windows
2003. When I click add and then the Group name I get a message, Group
cannot not found. I can, however, add individual users then deny them 'List
Folder Contents' rights.

Thanks for any help.

God Bless,

Mark A. Sam

In news:eMbNY86rFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Mark A. Sam <msam@Plan-It-Earth.Net> typed:
> Hello,
>
> I want to deny access to a folder containing data but cannot seem to
> add a distribution group to the list in the Security window. This is
> Windows 2003. When I click add and then the Group name I get a
> message, Group cannot not found. I can, however, add individual
> users then deny them 'List Folder Contents' rights.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> God Bless,
>
> Mark A. Sam

You can't use a distribution group for this purpose - that's for e-mail. You
can use a security group, even if it's a mail-enabled security group (e.g.,
in Exchange Server).

NB: You've posted this in an XP newsgroup - for server questions, best to
post in microsoft.public.windows.server.*

That did the trick. Thank you.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

In news:eRpxUifuFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Mark A. Sam <msam@Plan-It-Earth.Net> typed: