How should I upgrade to play HL2 (Need Advise)

Hi,

I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my system before getting
Half-Life 2. I loved the first game and really want to play the second. I
don't mind lower resolution if I must, but I like a good FPS for fluid play.
I got some money to upgrade, but don't want to discard my mainboard and
everything if I don't need to. My main system specs are:

Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz. on ASUS P4T533-C Mainboard

512 MB RDRAM (1066 MHz.) (Two 256MB sticks, Four slots total)

MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ 128MB DDR RAM

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

I've been reading many performance specs on the game and don't think the
game will run too well on my system, but I was hoping that perhaps upgrading
the video card alone to 512MB card may be enough. From what I know of my
mainboard for other upgrades I can do, I can upgrade the CPU up to a P4
3.06GHz and increase the RDRAM to 1GB.

What do you think?

TIA
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrade play need advise

    On 2/27/2005 10:45 AM Valtiel brightened our day with:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my system before getting
    >Half-Life 2. I loved the first game and really want to play the second. I
    >don't mind lower resolution if I must, but I like a good FPS for fluid play.
    >I got some money to upgrade, but don't want to discard my mainboard and
    >everything if I don't need to. My main system specs are:
    >

    >Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz. on ASUS P4T533-C Mainboard
    >
    >512 MB RDRAM (1066 MHz.) (Two 256MB sticks, Four slots total)
    >
    >MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ 128MB DDR RAM
    >
    >Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >

    >I've been reading many performance specs on the game and don't think the
    >game will run too well on my system, but I was hoping that perhaps upgrading
    >the video card alone to 512MB card may be enough. From what I know of my
    >mainboard for other upgrades I can do, I can upgrade the CPU up to a P4
    >3.06GHz and increase the RDRAM to 1GB.
    >

    >What do you think?
    >
    >TIA

    Play the demo.

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    "Valtiel" wrote

    > I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my system before getting
    > Half-Life 2.
    >
    > Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz. on ASUS P4T533-C Mainboard

    Bus speed?

    > 512 MB RDRAM (1066 MHz.) (Two 256MB sticks, Four slots total)

    Do 1Gig here

    > MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ 128MB DDR RAM

    Asus TI 4200 is ok, nothing fantiastic though

    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional

    Ok

    > I've been reading many performance specs on the game and don't think the
    > game will run too well on my system

    Read again
    I am playing on this rig:

    Intel 2.4Ghz 512 Mb 800 FSB
    Asus TI4200
    XP Pro

    > , but I was hoping that perhaps upgrading
    > the video card alone to 512MB card may be enough. From what I know of my
    > mainboard for other upgrades I can do, I can upgrade the CPU up to a P4
    > 3.06GHz and increase the RDRAM to 1GB.

    1 GB mem is nice
    You could consider an 9800 XT
    Leave the CPU as is and see what happens

    And well try the demo before doing anything :-)

    - Peter

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Valtiel" wrote
    >
    > > I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my system before getting
    > > Half-Life 2.
    > >
    > > Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz. on ASUS P4T533-C Mainboard
    >
    > Bus speed?

    533/433 MHz FSB

    > > 512 MB RDRAM (1066 MHz.) (Two 256MB sticks, Four slots total)
    > >
    > Do 1Gig here
    >
    > > MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ 128MB DDR RAM
    > >
    > Asus TI 4200 is ok, nothing fantiastic though
    >
    > > Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    > >
    > Ok
    >
    > > I've been reading many performance specs on the game and don't think the
    > > game will run too well on my system
    >
    > Read again
    > I am playing on this rig:
    >
    > Intel 2.4Ghz 512 Mb 800 FSB
    > Asus TI4200
    > XP Pro

    What is your FPS on your rig?

    > > , but I was hoping that perhaps upgrading
    > > the video card alone to 512MB card may be enough. From what I know of my
    > > mainboard for other upgrades I can do, I can upgrade the CPU up to a P4
    > > 3.06GHz and increase the RDRAM to 1GB.
    > >
    > 1 GB mem is nice
    > You could consider an 9800 XT
    > Leave the CPU as is and see what happens

    Ok, I'll look into that video card or better. :)

    > And well try the demo before doing anything :-)
    >
    > - Peter

    Thanks for the advice

    "Valtiel" <no1@no1.net> wrote in message

    > "Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Valtiel" wrote
    > >
    > > > I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my system before getting
    > > > Half-Life 2.
    > > >
    > > > Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz. on ASUS P4T533-C Mainboard
    > >
    > > Bus speed?
    >
    > 533/433 MHz FSB

    err... that's 533/400 MHz FSB (this is according to the manual to mainboard)

    Valtiel wrote:
    > Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz. on ASUS P4T533-C Mainboard
    >
    > 512 MB RDRAM (1066 MHz.) (Two 256MB sticks, Four slots total)
    >
    > MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ 128MB DDR RAM
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >

    > I've been reading many performance specs on the game and don't think the
    > game will run too well on my system, but I was hoping that perhaps upgrading
    > the video card alone to 512MB card may be enough. From what I know of my
    > mainboard for other upgrades I can do, I can upgrade the CPU up to a P4
    > 3.06GHz and increase the RDRAM to 1GB.
    >

    > What do you think?

    I think you, like most people, underestimate just how good your computer
    still is. I'm using an AMD AthlonXP 1800 (1.53 GHz) with a GF4 Ti4200
    and have absolutely no reason to upgrade because of the rather fast
    frame rates and general prettiness I still get. If there was one upgrade
    option to suggest, it would be to increase the RAM to 1 gig. That would
    be the most beneficial option to go for.

    Valtiel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my system before getting
    > Half-Life 2. I loved the first game and really want to play the second. I
    > don't mind lower resolution if I must, but I like a good FPS for fluid play.
    > I got some money to upgrade, but don't want to discard my mainboard and
    > everything if I don't need to. My main system specs are:

    As others have said, install Steam and get the HL2 demo and see for
    yourself :)

    > Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz. on ASUS P4T533-C Mainboard

    I have an Intel P4 2.26 on the same board - Your CPU will be fine :)

    > 512 MB RDRAM (1066 MHz.) (Two 256MB sticks, Four slots total)

    I've got 1GB @ 533Mhz ... however 512MB should be OK :) The only reason
    i upgraded to 1GB is because FarCry wasn't running very well with
    512MB.. you might experience the occasional slowdown and slightly longer

    > MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ 128MB DDR RAM

    That's the biggest thorn on your system.. you'll be restricted to a low
    level of graphic detail, and you won't be benefitting from the DX9
    shaders and that HL2 has to offer.

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    All these modern celebrities are endorsing supermarket products now...
    I got a pack of sausages from Tesco the other day and there was this
    picture of Anthony Worral Thompson on the front. Below, it read 'prick
    with a fork'.

    > I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my system before getting
    > Half-Life 2. I loved the first game and really want to play the second. I
    > don't mind lower resolution if I must, but I like a good FPS for fluid
    > play.
    > I got some money to upgrade, but don't want to discard my mainboard and
    > everything if I don't need to. My main system specs are:
    >
    > Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz. on ASUS P4T533-C Mainboard
    > 512 MB RDRAM (1066 MHz.) (Two 256MB sticks, Four slots total)
    > MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ 128MB DDR RAM
    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >
    > I've been reading many performance specs on the game and don't think the
    > game will run too well on my system, but I was hoping that perhaps
    > upgrading
    > the video card alone to 512MB card may be enough. From what I know of my
    > mainboard for other upgrades I can do, I can upgrade the CPU up to a P4
    > 3.06GHz and increase the RDRAM to 1GB.
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > TIA

    1gb of RAM is your first step - my memory usage on bootup is around 130mb
    on XP pro (fairly lean) and my commit charge peak after playing HL2 is
    around 890mb
    so you can see a GB of RAM is needed to reduce swapfile usage. The 2ghz CPU
    is okay
    (mines a XP2400 and its fine) but you need somthing like a 9800pro to run
    the game
    at 1024 high detail settings and have it smooth. If you are shelling out for
    a 9800pro then shop
    around first cause Nvidia have released a AGP version of the 6600GT that
    isnt much
    differant pricewise but performs a heck of lot better - the 9800pro is still
    a good card but the
    6600GT is definitely worth an extra 20 or 30 pounds - check this article
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2196&p=3
    if you still feel the need after that and are feeling flush then by all
    means get that 3ghz CPU
    and we'll all be green with envy.

    "Valtiel" <no1@no1.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my system before getting
    > Half-Life 2. I loved the first game and really want to play the second. I
    > don't mind lower resolution if I must, but I like a good FPS for fluid play.
    > I got some money to upgrade, but don't want to discard my mainboard and
    > everything if I don't need to. My main system specs are:
    >
    > Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz. on ASUS P4T533-C Mainboard
    > 512 MB RDRAM (1066 MHz.) (Two 256MB sticks, Four slots total)
    > MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ 128MB DDR RAM
    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional

    That's about my system, except I have a ti4800, slightly slower RAM,
    and XPH. At 1024x768 and most settings high (med texture detail,
    water reflections, and character quality) I get around 60fps most of
    the time. There's the occasional freeze-up, but I'm not even sure that
    has anything to do with machine specs per se.

    Of course, upgrading couldn't hurt.

    > "Valtiel" <no1@no1.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade my system before getting
    >>Half-Life 2. I loved the first game and really want to play the second. I
    >>don't mind lower resolution if I must, but I like a good FPS for fluid
    >>play.
    >>I got some money to upgrade, but don't want to discard my mainboard and
    >>everything if I don't need to. My main system specs are:
    >>
    >>Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz. on ASUS P4T533-C Mainboard
    >>512 MB RDRAM (1066 MHz.) (Two 256MB sticks, Four slots total)
    >>MSI GeForce4 Ti4400 w/ 128MB DDR RAM
    >>Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >>
    >>I've been reading many performance specs on the game and don't think the
    >>game will run too well on my system, but I was hoping that perhaps
    >>upgrading
    >>the video card alone to 512MB card may be enough. From what I know of my
    >>mainboard for other upgrades I can do, I can upgrade the CPU up to a P4
    >>3.06GHz and increase the RDRAM to 1GB.
    >>
    >>What do you think?
    >>
    >>TIA
    I have a Win2k system on an Athlon ZP 3200+, SATA, Radeon 9200 128MB
    DDR, 512MB PC3200 modded faster, and a kick-ass monitor, and HL2 runs
    pretty durn well at 1024x768 with everyhing turned up. Just my 2c worth.
    --
    -Acercanto (young pup)
    user:forestman domain:vt.edu

    You can have only two of the following
    three qualities when developing a product:
    cheap, fast or good. You can produce something
    cheap and fast, but it won't be good,
    good and fast, but it won't be cheap,
    good and cheap, but it won't be fast.

    Hey all whom responded.
    Thanks for all the advice you gave, and being so nice about it too. I
    decided to just go buy the game and see how I'll run on my current system.
    It runs pretty good, much better than I was expecting. Load times are a
    little too long and video hiccups some during the intense moments, but still
    very much playable with all settings around medium. I still would like
    better performance and sharper detail in graphics, so I'm probably going to
    soon bump up to 1GB RDRAM and probably get a new video card. After play an
    exhilarating 2 hours, I just had to say thanks to the ones whom responded.
    What an awesome game! I'm gonna be up all night for sure. Thanks

    -Philip

Games Video Games