Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Canonical Will Take Ubuntu to Smartphones, Tablets

Last response: in News comments
November 1, 2011 9:14:43 PM

Hah! The moment this hits the mainstream I am all over it! Imagine the open-source community hard at work to make it fully compatible with the hardware of your choice... Heaven.
Score
November 1, 2011 9:14:59 PM

The more options the better, competition always helps develope better products
Score
Related resources
November 1, 2011 9:16:13 PM

I would love a true open source linux phone....
Score
November 1, 2011 9:21:59 PM

Yes...yes...YES!
Score
Anonymous
November 1, 2011 9:33:15 PM

I don't know what to think on this, they've got a lot of work to do to adapt to a good user experience, used 11.04 it fits on a netbook like a glove, but verbatim as is Unity is a lousy smartphone Op. Env. compare to Android whose GUI system fits as a phone.
Score
November 1, 2011 9:54:15 PM

If MS can put Win7 on phones and Win8 on tablets I suppose anything is possible.

Score
November 1, 2011 10:00:44 PM

Let me just put this here. Ubuntu sucks. Unity is the worst user interface since Windows 3.1. 11.10 broke every application I was using, then broke itself when I tried a clean install. Every time they make an update, I wonder how they manage to make it worse. I'm not talking XP -> Vista worse, I'm talking XP -> ME worse.
Score
November 1, 2011 10:14:05 PM

This is good news. I'd take a Linux tablet over a Windows tablet any day, lol.
Score
Anonymous
November 1, 2011 10:28:14 PM

Yup ,ubuntu plus unity a mess i rather use vista...not
Anyway ubuntu is not that free open source anymore.
I wonder if it even qualifyes as a true linux platform.
Score
November 1, 2011 10:30:27 PM

Ubuntu smartphone. For those who find their smartphone not boring enough.
Score
November 1, 2011 10:34:35 PM

1) Make UBUNTU even more user friendly and eye candy
2) Come up with an method to avoid fragmentation
3) Have a huge App Store from the day 1 + cross compatibility with Android apps
4) Consult with devs from XDA
5) Consult with kids/teens/and business folks
Score
November 1, 2011 10:41:10 PM

Ubuntu moving to smartphone, ARM moving to servers. Soon we will have ARM based desktops shipping with Ubuntu. Let it begin :D 
Score
November 1, 2011 10:56:50 PM

bergiebergLet me just put this here. Ubuntu sucks. Unity is the worst user interface since Windows 3.1. 11.10 broke every application I was using, then broke itself when I tried a clean install. Every time they make an update, I wonder how they manage to make it worse. I'm not talking XP -> Vista worse, I'm talking XP -> ME worse.

That's why I use the LTS version. Works well.
Score
November 1, 2011 11:06:45 PM

If they're smart, they'll look at KDE Plasma Active, and not the Unity interface. However, lately, Ubuntu has proven itself to not be very smart at all.
Score
November 1, 2011 11:25:11 PM

WR2If MS can put Win7 on phones and Win8 on tablets I suppose anything is possible.

Windows PHONE 7 not Windows 7. And yes, I think this is fantastic that Canonical is doing this. By the way, for all of you complaining about Unity just get 10.10 or 10.04 LTS. Problem solved!
Score
November 1, 2011 11:36:39 PM

Bring it to the masses!
Score
November 1, 2011 11:37:52 PM

Would that be an iPhone killer?
Score
Anonymous
November 1, 2011 11:47:40 PM

Bergieberg: I call FUD. You can dislike Unity, but Ubuntu has made huge leaps in stability from 9.10 onwards. What applications did it break for you? Links to the bug reports? That's what I thought.
Score
Anonymous
November 1, 2011 11:55:40 PM

Maybe Crysis will finally come to smartphones through Wine (?) ^_^
Score
Anonymous
November 1, 2011 11:55:58 PM

Maybe Crysis will finally come to smartphones through Wine (?) ^_^
Score
Anonymous
November 2, 2011 12:11:24 AM

hell just having the drivers created for a native linux compiled for ARM will make this almost perfect in any sense. some one could make a custom launcher that would just use the kernel. Then the drives are already there... I would love my Optimus V with a true Linux using a special UI. Hell make adw or launcher Pro work and the interface is done..
Score
November 2, 2011 12:37:56 AM

I would have never guessed that they were planning a smartphone/tablet push. I though that Unity was an attempt to get users to switch back to terminals. :D 
Score
November 2, 2011 12:44:29 AM

Another open source fork doomed to irrelevancy.
Score
November 2, 2011 2:16:53 AM

Seems like the Smart Phone industry is already full with Android and Iphones. Web OS is gone and I havn't seen anyone use a Windows 7 Phone other than my dad. Symbian is huge but I havn't really seen a Nokia Symbian Smartphone in a while.

Going to be hard for Ubuntu to do anything in the Smartphone market.
Score
November 2, 2011 4:50:31 AM

This would only be a good thing if Ubuntu ditches the Unity Interface or fixed all the issues.
Score
Anonymous
November 2, 2011 5:56:48 AM

Yes!!! I saw it coming and despite all the naysayers, Ubuntu is coming and it will make the Ubuntu ecosystem a seamless whole - from servers to desktops to super computers generating digital effects (Avatar - not even Google or Apple can claim this).

We are already running a 100% Ubuntu-based computer system (desktops and all) in our library with network printing and scanning. We're waiting for the day to add cheap (yes, cheap as in cost) mobile devices running Ubuntu to this system.
Score
November 2, 2011 6:54:06 AM

Real open source phone will find its place among others,but unity has to go. I haven't try it with touchscreen ,but it makes no sense with mouse and keyboard and i cant imagine how it can be fixed. Gnome isn't the cure by itself ,because of some slow behavior. Maybe xubuntu or lubuntu will best suit the foundation for ubuntu phone.
Score
November 2, 2011 8:11:34 AM

Uhm... there used to be Linux-based phones in the market a few years ago. They peaked around 2% of the market. Then they died.

What are the differentiators this time around?

I'm not trying to be snarky here, I'm really just wondering.
Score
November 2, 2011 11:30:22 AM

So all the people who said Android was Linux, will this split them right down the middle? Nothing quite like a little civil war to keep us entertained.
/popcorn
Score
November 2, 2011 11:33:23 AM

Parsian1) Make UBUNTU even more user friendly and eye candy2) Come up with an method to avoid fragmentation3) Have a huge App Store from the day 1 + cross compatibility with Android apps4) Consult with devs from XDA5) Consult with kids/teens/and business folks

Hate to say this but all those things need an organisation and money.
Linux is not an organisation and doesn't have any money.
Score
November 2, 2011 3:20:38 PM

back_by_demandHate to say this but all those things need an organisation and money.Linux is not an organisation and doesn't have any money.

But Canonical IS and organization....and DOES have money.
Score
November 3, 2011 12:00:30 AM

Android, Linux, is finally ruling now over iPhone

Nokia N9, MeeGo Linux, is the only phone that has been declared by some folks to be even better than iPhone in UI design, sweeping the floor with the sweep action (trying to have some iPun there)

Ubuntu with a tablet UI, but wich one?
As people mentioned: Unity sucks
and none of the others are designed for phones/tablets
Thre is a rocky road ahead

Windows 8 Metro UI...dare I say anything? better not
Windows Phone 7.5 will be replaced by Windows Phone 8 with Metro UI
Windows 9 (NT 6.3) is still using the "new" Vista driver model
I'm waiting for Windows X with virtual IO subsystem and
VM engine build in with fully integrated CPU support from Intel
before year 2020
Score
November 3, 2011 3:25:05 PM

Minor note: Other phones have been declared by some folks to have a better UI design than iPhone as well. Windows Phone 7 is one I still hear people talking about (but few buy) and occasionally WebOS on HP's Touchpad has.
Score
!