winxp home upgrade to xp pro

hi hope someone can help plz

i have a new laptop with winXPhome installed,but the software i need for
work requires XPpro installed,I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy sticker
with serial no. etc but when i try to install xppro over home it says hme
edition is newer and stops pro from installing .I dont really want to wipe
the hdisk clean as a lot of drivers etc for the laptop would be lost.

Thanks chris
3 answers Last reply
More about winxp home upgrade

    chris wrote:
    > hi hope someone can help plz
    >
    > i have a new laptop with winXPhome installed,but the software i need for
    > work requires XPpro installed,I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy sticker
    > with serial no. etc but when i try to install xppro over home it says hme
    > edition is newer and stops pro from installing .I dont really want to wipe
    > the hdisk clean as a lot of drivers etc for the laptop would be lost.
    >
    > Thanks chris

    You'll either need to uninstall SP2 before attempting the upgrade,
    or try slipstreaming SP2 into the WinXP Pro installation.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    All you need to do is make a SP2 slipstreamed version of your
    current Windows XP Pro and then upgrade using the new CD.

    Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

    Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    or

    AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "chris" <chris.a.oates@tesco.net> wrote:

    >hi hope someone can help plz
    >
    >i have a new laptop with winXPhome installed,but the software i need for
    >work requires XPpro installed,I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy sticker
    >with serial no. etc but when i try to install xppro over home it says hme
    >edition is newer and stops pro from installing .I dont really want to wipe
    >the hdisk clean as a lot of drivers etc for the laptop would be lost.
    >
    >Thanks chris

    Here is another good slipstreaming utility:

    nlite (free) from http://www.nliteos.com

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --