Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

hi hope someone can help plz

i have a new laptop with winXPhome installed,but the software i need for
work requires XPpro installed,I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy sticker
with serial no. etc but when i try to install xppro over home it says hme
edition is newer and stops pro from installing .I dont really want to wipe
the hdisk clean as a lot of drivers etc for the laptop would be lost.

Thanks chris

chris wrote:
> hi hope someone can help plz
>
> i have a new laptop with winXPhome installed,but the software i need for
> work requires XPpro installed,I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy sticker
> with serial no. etc but when i try to install xppro over home it says hme
> edition is newer and stops pro from installing .I dont really want to wipe
> the hdisk clean as a lot of drivers etc for the laptop would be lost.
>
> Thanks chris

You'll either need to uninstall SP2 before attempting the upgrade,
or try slipstreaming SP2 into the WinXP Pro installation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

All you need to do is make a SP2 slipstreamed version of your
current Windows XP Pro and then upgrade using the new CD.

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"chris" <chris.a.oates@tesco.net> wrote:

>hi hope someone can help plz
>
>i have a new laptop with winXPhome installed,but the software i need for
>work requires XPpro installed,I have a genuine xppro disk and fancy sticker
>with serial no. etc but when i try to install xppro over home it says hme
>edition is newer and stops pro from installing .I dont really want to wipe
>the hdisk clean as a lot of drivers etc for the laptop would be lost.
>
>Thanks chris

Here is another good slipstreaming utility:

nlite (free) from http://www.nliteos.com

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--