Mike

Splendid

Hi

This is my problem. When i open outlook express, and try to open an
attachment (mp3, mpg.. etc ) I get the following error. " Windows found that
this file is potentially harmful. To help protect your computer, windows has
blocked access to this file ."

I have tried uninstalling Outlook express , disabling all security services
, i have even installed a fresh copy of windows XP Home, Service pack 2, with
all updates. Note; this worked fine on this setup, just started happening
recently. Nothing seems to help.

Mike wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is my problem. When i open outlook express, and try to open an
> attachment (mp3, mpg.. etc ) I get the following error. " Windows found that
> this file is potentially harmful. To help protect your computer, windows has
> blocked access to this file ."
>
> I have tried uninstalling Outlook express , disabling all security services
> , i have even installed a fresh copy of windows XP Home, Service pack 2, with
> all updates. Note; this worked fine on this setup, just started happening
> recently. Nothing seems to help.

Well, as the application is working exactly as designed, I don't see
how you expected such drastic (and completely unnecessary) actions to
have "helped."

Outlook Express' default security settings are simply trying to
protect you. OE has no way of telling whether an attachment actually
contains a virus or not, so it temporarily blocks any of those file
types that could potentially contain a virus. In Outlook Express,
Tools > Options > Security, uncheck the "Do not allow attachments to
be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" option, assuming
you trust the source, of course. The wiser course of action, however,
would be to modify your list of unsafe files, as outlined in the KB
articles below:

Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

Information About the Unsafe File List in Internet Explorer 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291369

OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291387

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Mike

Splendid

thanks for the quick reply, but i have already gone over this. Also, i cannot
save the attachment . I get an error, saying that there is not enough space
on drive C. Drive C has over 40Gb of space. It has to be something with the
microsoft firewall or some security update.

Mike

Splendid

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > This is my problem. When i open outlook express, and try to open an
> > attachment (mp3, mpg.. etc ) I get the following error. " Windows found that
> > this file is potentially harmful. To help protect your computer, windows has
> > blocked access to this file ."
> >
> > I have tried uninstalling Outlook express , disabling all security services
> > , i have even installed a fresh copy of windows XP Home, Service pack 2, with
> > all updates. Note; this worked fine on this setup, just started happening
> > recently. Nothing seems to help.
>

> Well, as the application is working exactly as designed, I don't see
> how you expected such drastic (and completely unnecessary) actions to
> have "helped."
>
> Outlook Express' default security settings are simply trying to
> protect you. OE has no way of telling whether an attachment actually
> contains a virus or not, so it temporarily blocks any of those file
> types that could potentially contain a virus. In Outlook Express,
> Tools > Options > Security, uncheck the "Do not allow attachments to
> be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" option, assuming
> you trust the source, of course. The wiser course of action, however,
> would be to modify your list of unsafe files, as outlined in the KB
> articles below:
>
> Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570
>
> Information About the Unsafe File List in Internet Explorer 6
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291369
>
> OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291387
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

I have installed Thunderbird , a different email client and this one has no
problem opening the same attachments.