I have been using Win XP with NTFS and had all my documents encrypted. Now
that I have reinstalled Win XP, I'm not able to accesss my previous
documents. I am also not able to add users for the encrypted files, even
being the administrator.

Please help!!

favad

Favad wrote:
> I have been using Win XP with NTFS and had all my documents
> encrypted. Now that I have reinstalled Win XP, I'm not able to
> accesss my previous documents. I am also not able to add users for
> the encrypted files, even being the administrator.

You didn't learn to use the encryption process properly, then. You have to
use your backed up encryption key - the one you made when you started
encrypting your files in case you ever needed to redo your system and thus
your encryption key would change because your machine information changed...

First - You need to take ownership of the files..

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/30787

You might be able to find an answer to your decrypting dilemma here:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20958019.html

But - all in all - you have probably lost these files.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Do you have the original keys used to encrypt the data or access to the
original encrypting profile?
Both must be original and can not be recreated.
If not your data is most likely gone for good.
See the links near the bottom of this page for ways to help prevent data
loss in the future:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]