G200 vs G400 vs G450 vs Radeon 7000

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Hi,

Between the Matrox G200 vs G400 vs G450 vs ATI Radeon 7000 in 2D quality,
which would have the sharpest?

And any recommended monitors that work better with matrox cards?

Thanks

--
contact: i n t x @ d e s p a m m e d . c o m
(actual e-mail address without spaces)

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"intx" <intx@despammed.com.removethis> wrote in message news:Xns94DDDBCEFDD6Bintxdespammedcom@66.185.95.104...
> Hi,
>
> Between the Matrox G200 vs G400 vs G450 vs ATI Radeon 7000 in 2D quality,
> which would have the sharpest?

Matrox G400, although you probably won't see any difference at
resolutions of 1600x1200 or less.

> And any recommended monitors that work better with matrox cards?

Not really. If you're talking about CRTs and not LCDs, the two
tubes of choice among prosumers are Mitsubishi's Diamondtron
(used in Mitsubishi's own monitors as well as in others such as
LaCie's ElectronBlue series, some Iiyamas etc) and Sony's
Trinitron, which likewise is used by a wide range of mfrs.

Rick

ME

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

intx <intx@despammed.com.removethis> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Between the Matrox G200 vs G400 vs G450 vs ATI Radeon 7000 in 2D quality,
>which would have the sharpest?
>
>And any recommended monitors that work better with matrox cards?
>
>Thanks

I have all the above and IMHO the G400MAX is noticeably the best. The
Radeon 7000 is very noticeably worse than any of the Matrox Cards.

Hope this helps

Andy

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

what monitor are you using?

--
contact:
** REMOVE 'HUCKLEBERRY' from the E-MAIL at the top when REPLYING **

ME

intx <intx@HUCKLEBERRYdespammed.com> wrote:

>what monitor are you using?

Several, the best analogue by far I have is an IIyama VM Pro 511 22" for
colour clarity.

Also have a pair of LCD IIyama Prolite E481S which are very good on my
P650.

I have tried a few over the years but price wise the best I have found have
been IIyama.

Hope this helps

Andy

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Andy@nospam.co.uk <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> intx <intx@HUCKLEBERRYdespammed.com> wrote:
>
>> what monitor are you using?
>
> Several, the best analogue by far I have is an IIyama VM Pro 511 22"
> for colour clarity.
>
> Also have a pair of LCD IIyama Prolite E481S which are very good on my
> P650.
>
> I have tried a few over the years but price wise the best I have
> found have been IIyama.

Pricewise, I won't argue with you, and Iiyama are darn good monitors, but
for pure colour quality at a still affordable price, I prefer the
Nec/Mitsubishi DiamondPro with earth magnetic field corner adjustments, and
optionally with SpectraView colour calibration. They're far cheaper than
the comparable $1700 Sony GDM-C520K, which is the only CRT monitor that Sony
still sells.
The only cons are that some people can't get used to the two or three
horisontal wires across the display that all Trinitron monitors have, and
that the monitor cable has mediocre shielding and isn't user replacable.
The latter is unfortunately common for almost all monitors these days, so
either shield the cables yourself, or keep other cables (especially power
cables) away from them.

LCD displays? No, IMHO they're not yet ready for photo/artwork, as the
colour spectrum is severely reduced compared to CRT monitors (and the
smaller models also don't have square pixels).

Also, by shopping around a bit (I recommend http://www.monitorsdirect.com/),
you can save quite a bit, even on brand new monitors. In any case, your
eyes are worth a good monitor, and your hands are worth a good keyboard and
mouse. Save on other things, but get the best Man/Machine interface that
you can afford.

Regards,
--
*Art

ME

"Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com> wrote:

>Andy@nospam.co.uk <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>> intx <intx@HUCKLEBERRYdespammed.com> wrote:
>>
>>> what monitor are you using?
>>
>> Several, the best analogue by far I have is an IIyama VM Pro 511 22"
>> for colour clarity.
>>
>> Also have a pair of LCD IIyama Prolite E481S which are very good on my
>> P650.
>>
>> I have tried a few over the years but price wise the best I have
>> found have been IIyama.
>
>Pricewise, I won't argue with you, and Iiyama are darn good monitors, but
>for pure colour quality at a still affordable price, I prefer the
>Nec/Mitsubishi DiamondPro with earth magnetic field corner adjustments, and
>optionally with SpectraView colour calibration. They're far cheaper than
>the comparable $1700 Sony GDM-C520K, which is the only CRT monitor that Sony
>still sells.
>The only cons are that some people can't get used to the two or three
>horisontal wires across the display that all Trinitron monitors have, and
>that the monitor cable has mediocre shielding and isn't user replacable.
>The latter is unfortunately common for almost all monitors these days, so
>either shield the cables yourself, or keep other cables (especially power
>cables) away from them.
>
>LCD displays? No, IMHO they're not yet ready for photo/artwork, as the
>colour spectrum is severely reduced compared to CRT monitors (and the
>smaller models also don't have square pixels).
>
>Also, by shopping around a bit (I recommend http://www.monitorsdirect.com/),
>you can save quite a bit, even on brand new monitors. In any case, your
>eyes are worth a good monitor, and your hands are worth a good keyboard and
>mouse. Save on other things, but get the best Man/Machine interface that
>you can afford.
>
>Regards,

I would agree with what you say, I have heard great things about the
DaimondPro but have not tried them.

The LCDs I use for general office work excel etc and technical drawing
coreldraw etc not photoshop.

For Photos i.e. colour work the VM Pro is much better that the LCDs but
only if the colour matching is important.

Andy