David H. Lipman Wrote:
> From: "belgar0428" belgar0428.1usn1t@pcbanter.net
>
> | I uninstalled the w32 chod virus but the MS Security Center command
> | "Change the way SC alerts me" is greyed out and short of
> reinstalling
> | XP (recomemnded by the help desk) has anyone run across this problem
> | with solution?
> |
> | --
> | belgar0428
>
> If you had a virus, you didn't "unistall" it. Viruses have no formal
> installation process.
> They just execute and run the process of intent of their payload.
>
> You had to "remove" a virus. the question is.. How ?
>
> Just removing an infected file is often not enogh as the infector makes
> changes to the OS
> and software needs to be used to undo those changes as identified to be
> made by the
> infector.
>
> Considering this is the case and actions of a virus, there are anti
> virus News Groups
> specifically for this type of discussion.
>
> microsoft.public.security.virus
> alt.comp.virus
> alt.comp.anti-virus
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Hi Dave - you are correct - I removed the virus by following the
instructions from Symantec that I downloaded using another computer.
Not hard to do - just picky. My problem now is the XP security cener
commands - short of uninstalling SP2 and reinstalling the OS + all
updates is there any other solution?

--
belgar0428

--