Hi, I'm having a problem with an application that hangs on me all the

geok

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hi, I'm having a problem with an application that hangs on me all the time. It will freeze rather frequently (sometimes every 2 minutes!)

If I wait long enough, it will usually come back, but this is no way to use a program.

If I kill it while it's hung, it will generate an Application Hang event, with the error message in my subject line:

Application hang, waiting on svchost.exe:epmapper

The epmapper is the RPC end point mapper, however, I have no idea how to troubleshoot this on Windows 7.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. Sorry if this gets posted twice. The website wiped it out the first time, seemingly without posting it.

geok

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I forgot to mention...

Whenever it hangs on me, my entire system hangs! I can't start a new application or access most of those that are already running.

For example, whenever this happens, Firefox immediately freezes. Once Collector's Assistant comes back, everything else starts working again.

geok

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Oh, yes, we've been emailing constantly for the past month! They can't figure it out. Unfortunately, the software is written with .NET, so there's a lot going on that the support people don't know. They're trying to help, but, well, this is not the most sophisticated software around. While it works fine for what it is, it's targeted towards a limited audience, so there's not the same level of support you'd get with a more broad based software.

It is compatible with Windows 7. The latest version is written using .NET 3.5.1. It's relatively new. Regardless, they have a lot of other customers on Windows 7, and none of them have the same problem.

Unfortunately, this is the ONLY software with which I have this problem, and the issue ONLY happens when this is running.

The only other information I can give is that I recently noticed that, whenever this happens, two other things occur. 1. My disks start spinning wildly and 2. the amount of RAM the program is using increases from a normal of between 200-500MB to well over 1GB.

geok

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
It seems that I have a partial answer. The company just issued a new service pack for their application, and, since installing it, the hangs have mostly disappeared.

They're not gone completely, but it's no longer an issue of not being able to use it for more than two minutes without it hanging.

Thanks all for your help!