Dare I Turn off the Software Firewall.

September 4, 2005 7:16:01 PM

I have two computers connected via a DSL modem and a D-Link Model DI-704UP
Router/Print Server. The Router [like most] includes a Firewall. Will I be
safe if I turn off the Norton software Firewall?

--
Gene K
Anonymous

Gene K wrote:
> I have two computers connected via a DSL modem and a D-Link Model DI-704UP
> Router/Print Server. The Router [like most] includes a Firewall. Will I be
> safe if I turn off the Norton software Firewall?

Well, you'll be safe from a great many exploits, but not from any
mistakes that you, or someone else using your computer, might make.

If you use a router with NAT, it's still a very good idea to use a
3rd party software firewall. Like WinXP's built-in firewall,
NAT-capable routers do nothing to protect the user from him/herself
(or any "curious," over-confident teenagers in the home). Again --
and I cannot emphasize this enough -- almost all spyware and many
Trojans and worms are downloaded and installed deliberately (albeit
unknowingly) by the user. So a software firewall, such as Sygate or
ZoneAlarm, that can detect and warn the user of unauthorized out-going
traffic is an important element of protecting one's privacy and
security. (Remember: Most antivirus applications do not even scan for
or protect you from adware/spyware, because, after all, you've
installed them yourself, so you must want them there, right?)

I use both a router with NAT and Sygate Personal Firewall, even
though I generally know better than to install scumware. When it
comes to computer security and protecting my privacy, I prefer the old
"belt and suspenders" approach. In the professional IT community,
this is also known as a "layered defense." Basically, it comes down
to never, ever "putting all of your eggs in one basket."

WinXP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks,
and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall does not
do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone
else using your computer) might download and install inadvertently.
It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other than to check for
IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the
questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any application you
have on your hard drive is there because you want it there, and
therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet. Further,
because the Windows Firewall is a "stateful" firewall, it will also
assume that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a
Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:43:24 PM

In article <u8xjfUYsFHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, nobody@nowhere.net
says...
> I have two computers connected via a DSL modem and a D-Link Model DI-704UP
> Router/Print Server. The Router [like most] includes a Firewall. Will I be
> safe if I turn off the Norton software Firewall?

Windows XP Sp2 firewall is not really protecting you from anything that
the router NAT (which is not a firewall) isn't already protecting you
from.

In your case, you need to do the basics:

1) Never run as Administrator except to install software or configure
the system - always run as a User.
2) Stop using IE, use FireFox as much as possible.
3) Install and use AntiSpyware software often.
4) Install and use Quality Antivirus software in a real-time mode.
5) Never download anything from untrusted sites.
6) Look at your routers LOGS frequently so that you can understand what
is traversing your network on a regular basis - you can often see the
actions of Spyware or malicious viruses in those logs.

Both your Router and the SP2 firewall are inbound only protection, they
don't do anything to keep applications that you use from contacting the
Internet.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Thank you. I take your advice to retain the software Firewall.
Gene K
> Gene K wrote:
>> I have two computers connected via a DSL modem and a D-Link Model
>> DI-704UP Router/Print Server. The Router [like most] includes a Firewall.
>> Will I be safe if I turn off the Norton software Firewall?
>>

> Well, you'll be safe from a great many exploits, but not from any
> mistakes that you, or someone else using your computer, might make.
>
> If you use a router with NAT, it's still a very good idea to use a
> 3rd party software firewall. Like WinXP's built-in firewall,
> NAT-capable routers do nothing to protect the user from him/herself
> (or any "curious," over-confident teenagers in the home). Again --
> and I cannot emphasize this enough -- almost all spyware and many
> Trojans and worms are downloaded and installed deliberately (albeit
> unknowingly) by the user. So a software firewall, such as Sygate or
> ZoneAlarm, that can detect and warn the user of unauthorized out-going
> traffic is an important element of protecting one's privacy and
> security. (Remember: Most antivirus applications do not even scan for
> or protect you from adware/spyware, because, after all, you've
> installed them yourself, so you must want them there, right?)
>
> I use both a router with NAT and Sygate Personal Firewall, even
> though I generally know better than to install scumware. When it
> comes to computer security and protecting my privacy, I prefer the old
> "belt and suspenders" approach. In the professional IT community,
> this is also known as a "layered defense." Basically, it comes down
> to never, ever "putting all of your eggs in one basket."
>
> WinXP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks,
> and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall does not
> do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone
> else using your computer) might download and install inadvertently.
> It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other than to check for
> IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the
> questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any application you
> have on your hard drive is there because you want it there, and
> therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet. Further,
> because the Windows Firewall is a "stateful" firewall, it will also
> assume that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a
> Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.
>
> ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
> built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
> free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
> available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
> although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
> ZoneAlarm or Sygate.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:18:44 AM

Thank you. I will retain the Norton Firewall.
Gene K
> In article <u8xjfUYsFHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, nobody@nowhere.net
> says...
>> I have two computers connected via a DSL modem and a D-Link Model
>> DI-704UP
>> Router/Print Server. The Router [like most] includes a Firewall. Will I
>> be
>> safe if I turn off the Norton software Firewall?
>
> Windows XP Sp2 firewall is not really protecting you from anything that
> the router NAT (which is not a firewall) isn't already protecting you
> from.
>
> In your case, you need to do the basics:
>
> 1) Never run as Administrator except to install software or configure
> the system - always run as a User.
> 2) Stop using IE, use FireFox as much as possible.
> 3) Install and use AntiSpyware software often.
> 4) Install and use Quality Antivirus software in a real-time mode.
> 5) Never download anything from untrusted sites.
> 6) Look at your routers LOGS frequently so that you can understand what
> is traversing your network on a regular basis - you can often see the
> actions of Spyware or malicious viruses in those logs.
>
> Both your Router and the SP2 firewall are inbound only protection, they
> don't do anything to keep applications that you use from contacting the
> Internet.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:37:28 PM

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:16:01 -0400, "Gene K" <nobody@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>I have two computers connected via a DSL modem and a D-Link Model DI-704UP
>Router/Print Server. The Router [like most] includes a Firewall. Will I be
>safe if I turn off the Norton software Firewall?

ONLY if your IP is a local IP, and not a public IP. And even then, I
would not turn it off. After all, SOME protection is better than
NONE. However, your machine is probably isolated from the Internet
(mostly) by the hardware firewall of the Router (if it is not turned
off.) I would DEFINITELY have a software antivirus solution
installed, especially one which scans email BEFORE you open it, or AS
you open it.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.