Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Virus?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 5, 2005 1:49:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Running Windows XP Home on Dell4300. Had full Macafee Security Center in
place and running. Initially couldn't open e-mail. Macafee antivirus
indicated clear. E-mail returned for one day, then everything went South.
Can't get on-line, start menu doesn't open, can't open Macafee, can't turn
off system restore. Programs seem to run OK. Downloaded various virus
removers on another computer. Stinger indicated clear as did Microsoft
Malicious Sotware Removal Package (August version). Macafee's bremove and
kremove both stalled out. Now what can I do?
--
Thanks

More about : virus

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 5:08:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

From: "NeedHelp" <NeedHelp@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Running Windows XP Home on Dell4300. Had full Macafee Security Center in
| place and running. Initially couldn't open e-mail. Macafee antivirus
| indicated clear. E-mail returned for one day, then everything went South.
| Can't get on-line, start menu doesn't open, can't open Macafee, can't turn
| off system restore. Programs seem to run OK. Downloaded various virus
| removers on another computer. Stinger indicated clear as did Microsoft
| Malicious Sotware Removal Package (August version). Macafee's bremove and
| kremove both stalled out. Now what can I do?
| --
| Thanks

There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

You really don't provide much information. What exactly does "...Initially couldn't open
e-mail" mean ?

As for virus removers, both Stinger and MS's Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) have very
linited target lists. Stinger has a target list of ~53 infectors and variants and teh MRT
has even less and many are obverlapped between the two.

The following Multi AV scanning tool is a Broad-spectrum removal tool and the McAfee Module
targets ~146,000 infectors alone (sure beats 53 infectors and their variants). Then there
are the Sophos and Trend Micro modules as well. One may catch what another may miss.


Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Multi_AV.exe

It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script Interpreter {
http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS}
This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. This
way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can
download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have downloaded the files
needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key
during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want to run in Safe
Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode.

When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more comprehensive PDF help
file.

To use this utility, perform the following...
Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-CLS }
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS }

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE to go through your
FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files.

* * * Please report back your results * * *


--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
September 5, 2005 5:08:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Couldn't open e-mail because I got an error message of insufficient memory.
OK, can I download this stuff when I can't get on-line on the infected
computer and my other computer can only save to a diskette?
--
Thanks


"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "NeedHelp" <NeedHelp@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Running Windows XP Home on Dell4300. Had full Macafee Security Center in
> | place and running. Initially couldn't open e-mail. Macafee antivirus
> | indicated clear. E-mail returned for one day, then everything went South.
> | Can't get on-line, start menu doesn't open, can't open Macafee, can't turn
> | off system restore. Programs seem to run OK. Downloaded various virus
> | removers on another computer. Stinger indicated clear as did Microsoft
> | Malicious Sotware Removal Package (August version). Macafee's bremove and
> | kremove both stalled out. Now what can I do?
> | --
> | Thanks
>
> There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.
>
> microsoft.public.security.virus
> alt.comp.virus
> alt.comp.anti-virus
>
> You really don't provide much information. What exactly does "...Initially couldn't open
> e-mail" mean ?
>
> As for virus removers, both Stinger and MS's Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) have very
> linited target lists. Stinger has a target list of ~53 infectors and variants and teh MRT
> has even less and many are obverlapped between the two.
>
> The following Multi AV scanning tool is a Broad-spectrum removal tool and the McAfee Module
> targets ~146,000 infectors alone (sure beats 53 infectors and their variants). Then there
> are the Sophos and Trend Micro modules as well. One may catch what another may miss.
>
>
> Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
> http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Multi_AV.exe
>
> It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script Interpreter {
> http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
> (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
> simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
> remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.
>
> C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS}
> This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. This
> way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
> The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.
>
> You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can
> download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have downloaded the files
> needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key
> during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want to run in Safe
> Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode.
>
> When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more comprehensive PDF help
> file.
>
> To use this utility, perform the following...
> Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-CLS }
> Choose; Unzip
> Choose; Close
>
> Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
> { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS }
>
> NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE to go through your
> FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files.
>
> * * * Please report back your results * * *
>
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 5:54:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

From: "NeedHelp" <NeedHelp@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Couldn't open e-mail because I got an error message of insufficient memory.
| OK, can I download this stuff when I can't get on-line on the infected
| computer and my other computer can only save to a diskette?
| --
| Thanks

Download and execute the set of instructions for the Multi AV scanner on the affected
computer.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
September 5, 2005 5:54:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Am I missing something? I can't get on-line on the infected computer.
Thanks



"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "NeedHelp" <NeedHelp@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Couldn't open e-mail because I got an error message of insufficient memory.
> | OK, can I download this stuff when I can't get on-line on the infected
> | computer and my other computer can only save to a diskette?
> | --
> | Thanks
>
> Download and execute the set of instructions for the Multi AV scanner on the affected
> computer.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 7:49:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

From: "NeedHelp" <NeedHelp@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Am I missing something? I can't get on-line on the infected computer.
| Thanks


Yes. define "... I can't get on-line...". Is it not connected to the Internet ? If you
had email you must have had some form of connectivity.

You really need to spend more then a "second or two" posting. Please elaborate and fully
state your problem in detail.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
September 5, 2005 7:49:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

OK, I'll try again. The infected computer will not now connect to the
internet although it did at one time. I am comunicating with you using a
different computer. The infected computer has the following problems:
1. Will not connect to the Internet.
2. Start menu does not open.
3. Will not open McAffee Security Center to let me run its virus scan.
4. Will not turn off System Restore as required by some of the removal
programs I've tried.
Sorry, but that's the limit of my understanding.
--
Thanks


"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "NeedHelp" <NeedHelp@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Am I missing something? I can't get on-line on the infected computer.
> | Thanks
>
>
> Yes. define "... I can't get on-line...". Is it not connected to the Internet ? If you
> had email you must have had some form of connectivity.
>
> You really need to spend more then a "second or two" posting. Please elaborate and fully
> state your problem in detail.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
>
!