More about virus

    From: "NeedHelp" <NeedHelp@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Running Windows XP Home on Dell4300. Had full Macafee Security Center in
    | place and running. Initially couldn't open e-mail. Macafee antivirus
    | indicated clear. E-mail returned for one day, then everything went South.
    | Can't get on-line, start menu doesn't open, can't open Macafee, can't turn
    | off system restore. Programs seem to run OK. Downloaded various virus
    | removers on another computer. Stinger indicated clear as did Microsoft
    | Malicious Sotware Removal Package (August version). Macafee's bremove and
    | kremove both stalled out. Now what can I do?
    | --
    | Thanks

    There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    You really don't provide much information. What exactly does "...Initially couldn't open
    e-mail" mean ?

    As for virus removers, both Stinger and MS's Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) have very
    linited target lists. Stinger has a target list of ~53 infectors and variants and teh MRT
    has even less and many are obverlapped between the two.

    The following Multi AV scanning tool is a Broad-spectrum removal tool and the McAfee Module
    targets ~146,000 infectors alone (sure beats 53 infectors and their variants). Then there
    are the Sophos and Trend Micro modules as well. One may catch what another may miss.

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
    remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Couldn't open e-mail because I got an error message of insufficient memory.
    OK, can I download this stuff when I can't get on-line on the infected
    computer and my other computer can only save to a diskette?
    --
    Thanks

    From: "NeedHelp" <NeedHelp@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Couldn't open e-mail because I got an error message of insufficient memory.
    | OK, can I download this stuff when I can't get on-line on the infected
    | computer and my other computer can only save to a diskette?
    | --
    | Thanks

    Download and execute the set of instructions for the Multi AV scanner on the affected
    computer.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Am I missing something? I can't get on-line on the infected computer.
    Thanks

    From: "NeedHelp" <NeedHelp@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Am I missing something? I can't get on-line on the infected computer.
    | Thanks

    Yes. define "... I can't get on-line...". Is it not connected to the Internet ? If you
    had email you must have had some form of connectivity.

    You really need to spend more then a "second or two" posting. Please elaborate and fully
    state your problem in detail.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    OK, I'll try again. The infected computer will not now connect to the
    internet although it did at one time. I am comunicating with you using a
    different computer. The infected computer has the following problems:
    1. Will not connect to the Internet.
    2. Start menu does not open.
    3. Will not open McAffee Security Center to let me run its virus scan.
    4. Will not turn off System Restore as required by some of the removal
    programs I've tried.
    Sorry, but that's the limit of my understanding.
    --
    Thanks

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > From: "NeedHelp" <NeedHelp@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >
    > | Am I missing something? I can't get on-line on the infected computer.
    > | Thanks
    >

    > Yes. define "... I can't get on-line...". Is it not connected to the Internet ? If you
    > had email you must have had some form of connectivity.
    >
    > You really need to spend more then a "second or two" posting. Please elaborate and fully
    > state your problem in detail.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm