Manage from My Computer indicates Access Denied

From "My Computer" I select the "Manage" option and I get a popup with a red
X and an "Access is denied." message. No title is given for with the "Access
is denied" message box. I can run the Computer Management application:

%windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc

without any errors. It simply appears that this link from the "My Computer"
icon does not work. All other options from that menu ("Search", "Explore",
"Properties" and others) work fine. The registry "command" item uses the
command I have shown above.

Any ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about manage computer access denied

    I have the same problem, but I'm not sure exactly when it started.

    Doug Steele wrote:
    > From "My Computer" I select the "Manage" option and I get a
    > popup with a red X and an "Access is denied." message. No
    > title is given for with the "Access is denied" message box.
    > I can run the Computer Management application:
    >
    > %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc
    >
    > without any errors. It simply appears that this link from
    > the "My Computer" icon does not work. All other options
    > from that menu ("Search", "Explore", "Properties" and
    > others) work fine. The registry "command" item uses the
    > command I have shown above.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    A setting in the Local Security Policy of Windows XP
    Professional will cause this behavior.

    Run gpedit.msc
    Navigate to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows
    Components\Windows Explorer and look to see if the following
    policy is enabled:

    Hides the Manage item on the Windows Explorer context menu

    You can also check in the registry for the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    Make sure the value data for NoManageMyComputerVerb is 0

    Here are a few articles with more details:

    NoManageMyComputerVerb
    http://tinyurl.com/apauf

    Remove the Manage item from the Windows Explorer context menu
    http://tinyurl.com/awkl7

    Nepatsfan

    Doug Steele wrote:
    > From "My Computer" I select the "Manage" option and I get a
    > popup with a red X and an "Access is denied." message. No
    > title is given for with the "Access is denied" message box.
    > I can run the Computer Management application:
    >
    > %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc
    >
    > without any errors. It simply appears that this link from
    > the "My Computer" icon does not work. All other options
    > from that menu ("Search", "Explore", "Properties" and
    > others) work fine. The registry "command" item uses the
    > command I have shown above.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Is this computer a member of a domain? If so, a Group Policy
    may be in place to prevent access to Computer Management.

    For a computer in a workgroup, a setting in the Local Security
    Policy of Windows XP
    Professional will cause this behavior.

    Run gpedit.msc
    Navigate to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows
    Components\Windows Explorer and look to see if the following
    policy is enabled:

    Hides the Manage item on the Windows Explorer context menu

    You can also check in the registry for the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    Make sure the value data for NoManageMyComputerVerb is 0

    Here are a few articles with more details:

    NoManageMyComputerVerb
    http://tinyurl.com/apauf

    Remove the Manage item from the Windows Explorer context menu
    http://tinyurl.com/awkl7

    Nepatsfan
  4. I recently had the same problem and found out what the fix was... It turns out that some of the system variables (the one's that mattered...) were completely gone!

    There is a full writeup and tutorial on The Wichita Computer Guy on how to fix it:
    http://thewichitacomputerguy.com/blog/access-denied-right-click-my-computer-manage

Computers System32 Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP