Manage from My Computer indicates Access Denied

September 5, 2005 6:49:24 PM

From "My Computer" I select the "Manage" option and I get a popup with a red
X and an "Access is denied." message. No title is given for with the "Access
is denied" message box. I can run the Computer Management application:

%windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc

without any errors. It simply appears that this link from the "My Computer"
icon does not work. All other options from that menu ("Search", "Explore",
"Properties" and others) work fine. The registry "command" item uses the
command I have shown above.

Any ideas?
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:00:34 PM

I have the same problem, but I'm not sure exactly when it started.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:32:21 AM

Doug Steele wrote:
> From "My Computer" I select the "Manage" option and I get a
> popup with a red X and an "Access is denied." message. No
> title is given for with the "Access is denied" message box.
> I can run the Computer Management application:
>
> %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc
>
> without any errors. It simply appears that this link from
> the "My Computer" icon does not work. All other options
> from that menu ("Search", "Explore", "Properties" and
> others) work fine. The registry "command" item uses the
> command I have shown above.
>
> Any ideas?

A setting in the Local Security Policy of Windows XP
Professional will cause this behavior.

Run gpedit.msc
Navigate to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows
Components\Windows Explorer and look to see if the following
policy is enabled:

Hides the Manage item on the Windows Explorer context menu

You can also check in the registry for the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Make sure the value data for NoManageMyComputerVerb is 0

Here are a few articles with more details:

NoManageMyComputerVerb
http://tinyurl.com/apauf

Remove the Manage item from the Windows Explorer context menu
http://tinyurl.com/awkl7

Nepatsfan
September 6, 2005 3:50:53 AM

Doug Steele wrote:
> From "My Computer" I select the "Manage" option and I get a
> popup with a red X and an "Access is denied." message. No
> title is given for with the "Access is denied" message box.
> I can run the Computer Management application:
>
> %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc
>
> without any errors. It simply appears that this link from
> the "My Computer" icon does not work. All other options
> from that menu ("Search", "Explore", "Properties" and
> others) work fine. The registry "command" item uses the
> command I have shown above.
>
> Any ideas?

Is this computer a member of a domain? If so, a Group Policy
may be in place to prevent access to Computer Management.

For a computer in a workgroup, a setting in the Local Security
Policy of Windows XP
Professional will cause this behavior.

Run gpedit.msc
Navigate to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows
Components\Windows Explorer and look to see if the following
policy is enabled:

Hides the Manage item on the Windows Explorer context menu

You can also check in the registry for the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Make sure the value data for NoManageMyComputerVerb is 0

Here are a few articles with more details:

NoManageMyComputerVerb
http://tinyurl.com/apauf

Remove the Manage item from the Windows Explorer context menu
http://tinyurl.com/awkl7

Nepatsfan
October 15, 2009 8:39:50 PM

I recently had the same problem and found out what the fix was... It turns out that some of the system variables (the one's that mattered...) were completely gone!

There is a full writeup and tutorial on The Wichita Computer Guy on how to fix it:
http://thewichitacomputerguy.com/blog/access-denied-rig...
!