Copying Admin profile to another profile..using XP media c..

While searching the threads I saw a question about this, and was offered
some very helpful advice, but I still can't get this to work.

When I got my PC I stupidly didn't know about the different profile so I
have been using the Administrator profile.

Now I want to create two new profiles, one for myself and one for my wife.

I have tried this solution sent in by someone on the board, but can't get it
to work:

Copy a User profile

Open System in Control panel. ON the User Profiles Tab, and under Profiles
stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then
click Copy to...

This is where I keep getting stuck...I have created two addition profiles
with Admin rights.

I logged onto both new profiles.
Then under my wife's profile (which is not the profile I want to Copy to OR
from) I try this step

The problem is when the First Admin profile is highlighted...the Copy To
button is NOT highlighted.

When I highlight my new profile....the Copy TO button is highlighted...but
shouldn't the Copy TO button be Highlighted under the Profile I want to copy
from???

I do not know what to do now..i am stuck.

I tried it with all three profiles logged on...then with only my wifes..and
it still would work.

Any help would be GREATLEY appreciated.

-Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about copying admin profile profile using media

    macmahon85 wrote:
    > While searching the threads I saw a question about this, and was
    > offered some very helpful advice, but I still can't get this to work.
    >
    > When I got my PC I stupidly didn't know about the different profile
    > so I have been using the Administrator profile.
    >
    > Now I want to create two new profiles, one for myself and one for my
    > wife.
    >
    > I have tried this solution sent in by someone on the board, but can't
    > get it to work:
    >
    > Copy a User profile
    >
    > Open System in Control panel. ON the User Profiles Tab, and under
    > Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to
    > copy, and then click Copy to...
    >
    > This is where I keep getting stuck...I have created two addition
    > profiles with Admin rights.
    >
    > I logged onto both new profiles.
    > Then under my wife's profile (which is not the profile I want to Copy
    > to OR from) I try this step
    >
    > The problem is when the First Admin profile is highlighted...the
    > Copy To button is NOT highlighted.
    >
    > When I highlight my new profile....the Copy TO button is
    > highlighted...but shouldn't the Copy TO button be Highlighted under
    > the Profile I want to copy from???
    >
    > I do not know what to do now..i am stuck.
    >
    > I tried it with all three profiles logged on...then with only my
    > wifes..and it still would work.
    >
    > Any help would be GREATLEY appreciated.

    Reboot - log in as a third party adminstrator - one not involved in the copy
    (not the one being copied or being copied to..) and do it.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    By reboot, do you mean I should restart the computer? Sorry for lame question.

    I tried doing it under the 3rd admi, but to no avail.

    When I do who exaclty should be logged on and off?

    Should the 3rd admin (the one not involved in copying too or from) be the
    only profile logged on?

    I tried that and it did not work...but I have not tried restarting the PC
    after creating the two new profiles.

    Thanks

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > macmahon85 wrote:
    > > While searching the threads I saw a question about this, and was
    > > offered some very helpful advice, but I still can't get this to work.
    > >
    > > When I got my PC I stupidly didn't know about the different profile
    > > so I have been using the Administrator profile.
    > >
    > > Now I want to create two new profiles, one for myself and one for my
    > > wife.
    > >
    > > I have tried this solution sent in by someone on the board, but can't
    > > get it to work:
    > >
    > > Copy a User profile
    > >
    > > Open System in Control panel. ON the User Profiles Tab, and under
    > > Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to
    > > copy, and then click Copy to...
    > >
    > > This is where I keep getting stuck...I have created two addition
    > > profiles with Admin rights.
    > >
    > > I logged onto both new profiles.
    > > Then under my wife's profile (which is not the profile I want to Copy
    > > to OR from) I try this step
    > >
    > > The problem is when the First Admin profile is highlighted...the
    > > Copy To button is NOT highlighted.
    > >
    > > When I highlight my new profile....the Copy TO button is
    > > highlighted...but shouldn't the Copy TO button be Highlighted under
    > > the Profile I want to copy from???
    > >
    > > I do not know what to do now..i am stuck.
    > >
    > > I tried it with all three profiles logged on...then with only my
    > > wifes..and it still would work.
    > >
    > > Any help would be GREATLEY appreciated.
    >
    > Reboot - log in as a third party adminstrator - one not involved in the copy
    > (not the one being copied or being copied to..) and do it.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Your best method - if the new users do not exist yet/have not logged in the
    first time yet and you want them exactly the same as an existing user - is
    to create a Default User Profile:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319974

    Then every user you create will be populated with the information/setup of
    the user you created the Default User profile off of.

    If, however, you have already created the users and simply NOW want to make
    these users look like the one account, here is what you will need.

    You need two Administrative accounts to start with - or at least in your
    case it is easier this way.

    1) Setup one account like you would like the other accounts to be.
    2) Create the other user accounts you wish to make for use.. If you haven't
    already.
    3) Reboot.
    4) Log on as the user you have created for use (the one you want to look
    like the first account in step one.)
    (Log off/on as many times as users you created, one time each..)
    5) Reboot.
    6) Log on as another Administrative user - NOT the one you setup in step 1
    and not any that you logged in with in Step 4.
    7) Do your copy profile thing, directing the profile in step 1 to copy to
    one of the users in step 4 - changing the permissions to "Everyone". Do
    this for each account. (You could also make the permissions the username of
    the one you are copying to - as they are the only ones that really need
    permissions to that folder.)
    8) Reboot.

    You should be done. Erase any accounts you do not need.

    However, the Default User profile account is easier. heh

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    From: "macmahon85" <macmahon85@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | By reboot, do you mean I should restart the computer? Sorry for lame question.
    |
    | I tried doing it under the 3rd admi, but to no avail.
    |
    | When I do who exaclty should be logged on and off?
    |
    | Should the 3rd admin (the one not involved in copying too or from) be the
    | only profile logged on?
    |
    | I tried that and it did not work...but I have not tried restarting the PC
    | after creating the two new profiles.
    |
    | Thanks

    1. Restart the computer.

    2. Create an account called TEMP

    3. Login as TEMP

    4. Copy the ADMINISTRATOR profile to the other profiles you want to use that setup
    including the "Default User" profile.

    5. Logoff

    6. Login using you normal everyday account

    7. Now you can DELETE the user TEMP.and the TEMP user's profile.

    If you create a new account it will inherit the profile of "default user" and thus be the
    same setup as you had in the ADMINISTRATOR account.

    The other Users will have the same setup as well.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Windows XP