XP Sp2 Firewall

My XP firewall needs to be re-activated each time I re-boot my system??
Anyone know what may be causing this and/or have a work around for it short
of un-installing sp2 and re-installing?

thanks,

Hudson
2 answers Last reply
More about firewall

    In news:38AA4D33-7516-4FE1-AB59-14F0EA121539@microsoft.com,
    Hudson77 <Hudson77@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > My XP firewall needs to be re-activated each time I re-boot my
    > system?? Anyone know what may be causing this and/or have a work
    > around for it short of un-installing sp2 and re-installing?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Hudson

    Do you have a third party firewall or internet security suite (from Norton
    or McAfee or another such company) installed? If so and you do not want to
    use their firewall portion of their application you may want to go ahead and
    uninstall that if possible. Try looking for that and if the answer is still
    "it's still shutting off" then there's a couple of other ideas such as
    checking the services and making sure that the firewall is set to run
    automatically etc.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    If the instructions in the emails below didn´t work - you can be with a
    undetected worm.
    The Windows XP SP2 made available a dangerous command line - netsh firewall
    set - that can easily be called for CreateProcess function and put DISABLE
    the Firewall at the boot ....
    If is this, run the regedit looking for keys and msconfig-services for
    something wrong.

    alf

    > In news:38AA4D33-7516-4FE1-AB59-14F0EA121539@microsoft.com,
    > Hudson77 <Hudson77@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > My XP firewall needs to be re-activated each time I re-boot my
    > > system?? Anyone know what may be causing this and/or have a work
    > > around for it short of un-installing sp2 and re-installing?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > Hudson
    >
    > Do you have a third party firewall or internet security suite (from Norton
    > or McAfee or another such company) installed? If so and you do not want to
    > use their firewall portion of their application you may want to go ahead
    and
    > uninstall that if possible. Try looking for that and if the answer is
    still
    > "it's still shutting off" then there's a couple of other ideas such as
    > checking the services and making sure that the firewall is set to run
    > automatically etc.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
    > trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
    > come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP