Photoshop

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

What is the best Matrox video card to work with Photoshop? Does
Matrox have a Mac card???
13 answers Last reply
More about photoshop
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    David Glenn Misner wrote:

    > What is the best Matrox video card to work with Photoshop? Does
    > Matrox have a Mac card???

    Parhelia. No.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:10:54 GMT, KJ <here@there.net> wroth:

    >David Glenn Misner wrote:
    >
    >> What is the best Matrox video card to work with Photoshop? Does
    >> Matrox have a Mac card???
    >>

    >Parhelia. No.

    Why is it the best card for Photoshop???
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:32:11 -0700, David Glenn Misner
    <kidmiracleman@netzon.net> wroth:

    >On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:10:54 GMT, KJ <here@there.net> wroth:
    >
    >>David Glenn Misner wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the best Matrox video card to work with Photoshop? Does
    >>> Matrox have a Mac card???
    >>>

    >>Parhelia. No.
    >

    >Why is it the best card for Photoshop???

    Also is the 256mb worth the extra money???
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    <kidmiracleman@netzon.net> wrote:

    | On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:10:54 GMT, KJ <here@there.net> wroth:
    |
    | >David Glenn Misner wrote:
    | >
    | >> What is the best Matrox video card to work with Photoshop? Does
    | >> Matrox have a Mac card???
    | >>

    | >Parhelia. No.
    |

    | Why is it the best card for Photoshop???

    I was wondering the same thing. I do quite a lot of work with
    Photoshop with a Matrox G450 and find it works very well.

    Larc

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    >I was wondering the same thing. I do quite a lot of work with
    >Photoshop with a Matrox G450 and find it works very well.

    Also what monitors should I get with the Parhelia
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    David Glenn Misner <kidmiracleman@netzon.net> wrote:
    >> I was wondering the same thing. I do quite a lot of work with
    >> Photoshop with a Matrox G450 and find it works very well.
    >
    > Also what monitors should I get with the Parhelia

    For Photoshop work, don't get flat panel monitors. They are still not up to
    the task when it comes to colour range and colour correctness. Especially
    the reds will suffer, even on really expensive ones. In addition, most flat
    panel monitors use the oddball 1280x1024 format, which crams in extra lines
    vertically at the expense of aspect ratio (the correct 4:3 ratio is
    1280x960). Draw a circle on a monitor like this, and it ends up an oval
    when presented on a different setup. The only thing 1280x1024 is good for
    is editing PAL video.
    If sharpness is more important than colour correctness, by all means, get a
    flat panel monitor, but make sure it's 1600:1200 or other 4:3 aspect ratio,
    and also get one with a digital DVI interface.

    What monitors to get depends on the price range. The cheapest CRT that can
    be auto-calibrated for colour correctness is a NEC/Mitsubishi, although the
    best one is probably the 3-4 times as expensive top-of-the-line Sony.
    For a CRT, I'd recommend getting ones with a flat tube front, as well as one
    with an aperture grille (Trinitron, DiamondTron etc.) instead of a shadow
    mask. But that's a personal preference.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    >What monitors to get depends on the price range. The cheapest CRT that can
    >be auto-calibrated for colour correctness is a NEC/Mitsubishi, although the
    >best one is probably the 3-4 times as expensive top-of-the-line Sony.
    >For a CRT, I'd recommend getting ones with a flat tube front, as well as one
    >with an aperture grille (Trinitron, DiamondTron etc.) instead of a shadow
    >mask. But that's a personal preference.

    Are you familiar with the ViewSonic G220fb 21" PerfectFlat CRT
    Monitor???
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    David Glenn Misner wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:10:54 GMT, KJ <here@there.net> wroth:
    >

    >>David Glenn Misner wrote:
    >>

    >>>What is the best Matrox video card to work with Photoshop? Does
    >>>Matrox have a Mac card???
    >>>

    >>Parhelia. No.
    >

    > Why is it the best card for Photoshop???

    it can do 10-bit color depths. i'm not aware of any other card at that
    price point that can. but if you use LCD monitors, you can't tell anyway.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    David Glenn Misner <kidmiracleman@netzon.net> wrote:

    > Are you familiar with the ViewSonic G220fb 21" PerfectFlat CRT
    > Monitor???

    No, I'm not, but it looks like a very good value for the money ($454 at
    monitorsdirect.com), if you like shadow mask monitors.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:46:53 -0400, "Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com>
    wroth:

    >David Glenn Misner <kidmiracleman@netzon.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> Are you familiar with the ViewSonic G220fb 21" PerfectFlat CRT
    >> Monitor???
    >
    >No, I'm not, but it looks like a very good value for the money ($454 at
    >monitorsdirect.com), if you like shadow mask monitors.

    I am not familiar with shadow mask what is that???
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    wrote:

    | David Glenn Misner <kidmiracleman@netzon.net> wrote:
    | >
    | > Are you familiar with the ViewSonic G220fb 21" PerfectFlat CRT
    | > Monitor???
    |
    | No, I'm not, but it looks like a very good value for the money ($454 at
    | monitorsdirect.com), if you like shadow mask monitors.

    For serious graphics work, the VS P225F is MUCH better! It's $111
    more at Newegg (not including $45 shipping), but specs are great.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-218&depa=0

    Larc

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 20:12:16 GMT, Larc <larc-news@jupiterlink.net>
    wroth:

    >On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:46:53 -0400, "Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >| David Glenn Misner <kidmiracleman@netzon.net> wrote:
    >| >
    >| > Are you familiar with the ViewSonic G220fb 21" PerfectFlat CRT
    >| > Monitor???
    >|
    >| No, I'm not, but it looks like a very good value for the money ($454 at
    >| monitorsdirect.com), if you like shadow mask monitors.
    >
    >For serious graphics work, the VS P225F is MUCH better! It's $111
    >more at Newegg (not including $45 shipping), but specs are great.

    Thanks for the info. What makes it much better?? I do see that it
    has an aperture grille. Whatever that is
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    David Glenn Misner <kidmiracleman@netzon.net> wrote:
    > On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:46:53 -0400, "Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com>
    > wroth:
    >
    >> David Glenn Misner <kidmiracleman@netzon.net> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Are you familiar with the ViewSonic G220fb 21" PerfectFlat CRT
    >>> Monitor???
    >>
    >> No, I'm not, but it looks like a very good value for the money ($454
    >> at monitorsdirect.com), if you like shadow mask monitors.
    >
    > I am not familiar with shadow mask what is that???

    There's two main types of CRT monitors:

    1: Shadow Mask. This is your "regular" type of monitor, with (roughly)
    circular red, green and blue subpixels, due to a "shadow mask" with lots of
    tiny pin holes in it.

    2: Aperture Grille: This is like a Sony Trinitron TV, where the mask
    doesn't have pin holes, but consists of red, green and blue vertical bars.

    The main advantage of an aperture grille monitor is that less of the monitor
    surface is taken up by the mask, giving greater contrast and colour clarity.
    There's a couple of disadvantages too, though. To prevent the whole thing
    from being too unstable, there's usually two horisontal threads that only
    serve to stabilise the grille. If an image is all white, you can usually
    see these as two very thin horisontal stripes across the monitor.
    Another disadvantage is that despite these threads, aperture grille monitors
    don't always travel well. Parts of the vertical mask can be knocked ever so
    slightly out of place, with colour deformities and/or lack of clarity in
    part of the monitor as a result. Finally, they are usually a tad more
    expensive than shadow mask monitors.
    Still, many people prefer the clearer picture and better contrast an
    aperture grille monitor gives. I'm one of them.
    Since Sony has all but stopped making CRT displays (at least within the
    price range of normal people), other CRT manufacturers have filled the gap,
    and taken over production. The Nec/Mitsubishi DiamondPro monitors, for
    example, are produced at the same plants and with the same components as the
    Sony F series, with the main difference being the adjustment controls.

    Hope that helps!
    --
    *Art

Matrox Photoshop Graphics Cards Graphics