best matrox card for dvd and projector?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Hi,

i own since years an old Matrox G400 DH for
computing and now i tested the dvdmax function
to watch dvd and tv on video-projector.

i saw there a few new matrox products
out there. is there any new card that can beat
the image quality on TV / Projector or i´m
still ok with the old g400?!

i´m not a gamer, i´m just searching for a
new videocard with the best possible image
quality for dvd!

lars eidberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i own since years an old Matrox G400 DH for
> computing and now i tested the dvdmax function
> to watch dvd and tv on video-projector.
>
> i saw there a few new matrox products
> out there. is there any new card that can beat
> the image quality on TV / Projector or i´m
> still ok with the old g400?!
>
> i´m not a gamer, i´m just searching for a
> new videocard with the best possible image
> quality for dvd!

How is your projector connected? S-Video, DVI, Component, VGA, what?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

> > i´m not a gamer, i´m just searching for a
> > new videocard with the best possible image
> > quality for dvd!
>
> How is your projector connected? S-Video, DVI, Component, VGA, what?

connected with VGA..
DVI would be great but my projector hasnt

lars eidberg wrote:

>> > i´m not a gamer, i´m just searching for a
>> > new videocard with the best possible image
>> > quality for dvd!
>>
>> How is your projector connected? S-Video, DVI, Component, VGA, what?
>
> connected with VGA..
> DVI would be great but my projector hasnt

I don't think you're going to see any difference between your G400 and a
newer board. You'd do better to look into your software. Right now the
hot setup seems to be TheaterTek, <http://www.theatertek.com/> but hold off
a bit as version 2.0 is about to ship.

Another option that some hardcore videophiles have done is go to a hardware
MPEG-2 decoder and a PDI interface played back through dscaler--for details
see
<http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=267735&perpage=20&pagenumber=1>.
Not simple to set up but supposed to work about as well as a high-end
standalone DVD player.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)